Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: London Tube - "One Hour Proposal"  (Read 1312 times)

• Life not only begins at 40, it begins to show.
  • Liked: 0
London Tube - "One Hour Proposal"
« on: February 25, 2005, 09:57:01 PM »
I just came across this questionaire while checking for connections. 'Transport for London' wants your opinion whether you oppose or support the proposal to have tube services in London run for an hour longer on fridays and saturdays. The catch for the support is that in turn the tubes would start running an hour later on Saturday and Sunday mornings (you win, you lose  :-\\\\).

Click here if you want to give your opinion:

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/initiatives-projects/onehourlater/forms/questionnaire.asp
"Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you." — Kurt Cobain

Re: London Tube - "One Hour Proposal"
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 10:18:43 PM »
Ohhh, I heard about this!  Thanks!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 10:42:21 PM »
I hardly go out but still, I think, London should behave a bit more metropolitan and do it like many other big cities  ;) ... and, it's always nice to have the option if you need it!
"Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you." — Kurt Cobain

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 10:47:36 PM »
I agree!  Though I am sure there will be people who don't! 

When I lived in Boston it always made me mad that the train closed at 1 while the bars were open till 2!  They talked about changing the times even back then!  don't know if they did!

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 09:23:13 AM »
Stacey - they certainly didn't change it while I was there...I was the queen of the $20+ cab fairs back to Watertown...sigh.  I had to factor that in every time I went out...do I want to stay out later than the trains?  Do I want to pay over $20 for a cab?  At this point I just don't go downtown in London that often so my cab rides tend to be only a mile or so from West Hampstead...but if they had a later tube then I might actually go downtown more often.

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 09:30:37 AM »
I'll be saying 'no thanks' because 1) I hear the tube trains from my flat and I don't want the Saturday night rumble to be any later, and 2) I use the early Sunday train - currently the first tube train to leave my station is at 7.05. So to move it to 8am would suck severely.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 09:48:30 AM »
Yeah - but you're leaving London and returning to the land of the plentiful beaver... ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 09:56:17 AM »
But I reserve the right to be a whiney Londoner until the very last minute!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 11:52:54 AM »
stace, they didn't.  they made the drunk bus (late owl bus) and it was quite fun to ride at 2am, but really long and obnoxious! i could have walked home faster!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 11:56:31 AM »
stace, they didn't.  they made the drunk bus (late owl bus) and it was quite fun to ride at 2am, but really long and obnoxious! i could have walked home faster!!!!!

Really!!!  From where to where?  I am going to Boston (Cambridge really, Harvard Square) in a few weeks just wondering if we can take it from Boston to HS!?

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 11:57:15 AM »
i could have walked home faster!!!!!

Exactly my point - long bus rides at night is what puts me off from partying in central London. It's a shame though that they can't have the tube run longer AND keep their morning timetables  >:(

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 12:12:28 PM »
Well, considering the ride in the past few days ('due to defective trains,' 'signal failures,' 'lack of trains,'), this seems like another carrot to chase.
But one must always have hope.
Wouldn't want to overwhelm anyone with the notion of 24 service... now that would just be crazy.

I think my favourite line so far was this morning, when stuck in the tunnel between Tottenham Court Road and Holborn, the driver said 'If and when we get to Holborn...'  'If?!?'   :o

I laughed aloud.  People stared, and chose to remain solely irritated, because apparently they were the only ones affected by this delay.

I offered to read aloud... I mean, heck, we're stuck, we're silent, and Gandalf and Theoden and crew are now in Isengard confronting Saruman... I mean, my god, the excitement!  I wanted to share.

They said no.  Dreary lot.

;)

(Sorry, got carried away there, trying to avoid the 'Oscar' thread!!)
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2005, 12:37:08 PM »
I'm all for an hour later running.  I'm surprised they didn't go for 2 hours later on Friday and Saturday like they do in DC as right now, a number of the late opening bars/clubs close at 2AM (so I hear).  You still have to make the choice between leaving before 1AM to get the last train or sticking it out until 2AM and getting a cab.

I'm pretty sure DC runs early morning trains on Sat/Sun after 2AM stopping time on Fri/Sat nights.  Granted, DC's metro is probably only 1/4 or 1/3 the size of the Underground.  You'll never see 24 hour running in London due to the lack of additional tracks like they have on the NYC subway.

In regards to Sat/Sun morning, who on earth wants to be out of bed by 7AM much less waiting for a tube train!?  ;D

Matt
And the world first spoke to me in Sensurround

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2005, 12:48:14 PM »
In regards to Sat/Sun morning, who on earth wants to be out of bed by 7AM much less waiting for a tube train!?  ;D

Not that I'd miss it but in my last job, I had the occasional early weekend shift, I assume there are still many folks who do (although, let's see, if I were totally vindictive, I'd love to see my ex-colleagues trying to get to work in time if nothing runs that early)  ;D

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2005, 03:29:57 PM »

Matt

Well, ya never know when you get the urge to jump out of bed and go to Borough Market and have a cuppa joe with Jamie Oliver ;)
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

Sponsored Links