Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Weekend in Bath  (Read 1203 times)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Weekend in Bath
« on: February 26, 2005, 11:01:05 AM »
My BF and I are going to spend a romantic weekend in Bath next month for my birthday. We already have a hotel booked, but I wondered if anyone had any good restaurant recommendations. Thanks!  :)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
  • Liked: 0
Re: Weekend in Bath
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 12:14:57 PM »
Had a great meal at Las Iguanas in the centre last weekend. Bath is also notable as being the nearest KFC to where we live, but I suspect that's not the sort of place you'll be looking for on a romantic weekend  ;D
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

• Philly to Poole
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 12:41:23 PM »
We found a wonderful place when we were there last month.  Its Italian- Trattoria Da Salvo, 10 North Parade.  Its in a 300 year old cellar with wonderful stone walls in a chapel arch shape.  Food- excellent, wine- excellent, prices, moderate, the owners and staff are friendly and charming.  Nice Italian music piped in,  adds to the mood but not intrusive.  Nice bar area.  Location- short walk from the Abbey area.  Its one of the best restaurants I've ever discovered and highly reccommend it.  I can't wait to go back!  If you go- please post your thoughts.

• Snaps
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 09:35:25 AM »
Bath is also notable as being the nearest KFC to where we live, but I suspect that's not the sort of place you'll be looking for on a romantic weekend  ;D

Um .... no ... however, it is the BF's favorite place in the world, so I'll have to be sure to steer him away! lol

We found a wonderful place when we were there last month. Its Italian- Trattoria Da Salvo, 10 North Parade. Its in a 300 year old cellar with wonderful stone walls in a chapel arch shape.

That sounds really good! I'll keep it in mind!

Has anyone been to a place called The Moon & Sixpence in Bath? An acquaintance recommended it.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 06:23:23 PM »
hi, since you are going to Bath, can you share your experience if the hotel you stay in is any nice? I would like some recommendation as me and my BF are planning to go next month! Thanks....

• Snaps
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 09:40:11 PM »
Will do! I'd wanted to book into one of the really big lush posh hotels ... but two nights there were about the same as a month of my rent! I thought perhaps that was a bit excessive! Just a bit, though. I must confess that if the BF hadn't been as horrified as he was, I might have gone through with it! I do like to splurge!  ::)

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 01:43:48 PM »
Im off to Bath this weekend. Its our anniversary and we will be staying here.

http://www.lucknampark.co.uk/

Its part of the Relais&Chateaux group.

http://www.relaischateaux.com/en/

We have stayed at and eaten at a bunch of their places. If you are looking to treat yourself I highly recommend them.

jc

• Snaps
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2005, 07:01:03 PM »
Im off to Bath this weekend. Its our anniversary and we will be staying here.

JC! Maybe I'll see you in Bath!  ;D  Have a great weekend!

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 05:52:22 AM »
Belindaloo, Happy BathDay to you  ;D
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

• Snaps
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 11:32:34 AM »
hi, since you are going to Bath, can you share your experience if the hotel you stay in is any nice? I would like some recommendation as me and my BF are planning to go next month! Thanks....

Here's where we stayed:  http://www.marlborough-house.net/index.html

This is the funny thing: I booked online and communicated with Laura, the woman who owns & runs the hotel, by email. At one point I decided I needed to speak to her in person to iron out some last minute details. She's American! How coincidental is that?!?! She's very nice -- sort of an aging (not that old, but probably late 40s) rocker chick, and the place is all organic and vegetarian. I didn't know about the vegetarian part until we got there -- it prompted the BF to mutter, "f***ing lentilist." But, actually, the food was really lovely. She did American style pancakes one morning, which I enjoyed thoroughly!

It's a smallish place (I'd call it more of a B&B than a hotel), but beautifully decorated with antiques in all the rooms. We stayed on the top floor in the Floral Room -- not my favourite decor of her rooms, but the only room with a king-sized bed, which we really wanted to treat ourselves to. All rooms are en suite. The best part for me is that it was an easy walk to all of Bath's attractions. And not a hilly walk either. Some hotels and B&Bs  in Bath tell you that they're a 10-15 minute walk from stuff, but then you find out that it's all up steep hills. This was perfect.  You'd pay about twice what Marlborough House charges to stay in a big hotel that close to things -- for a NICE hotel, anyway.

The only drawback is parking. They only have space for 2 cars and those spaces were taken while we were there. There is, however, a big public car park just a few doors down which charges £6 a day. Or, even better, Laura has a couple of resident parking permits for on-street parking right in front of the B&B. We used one of those and it was ideal.

I'd definitely recommend Marlborough House. Let me know where you guys decide to stay, OK?

Sorry, PhillyGirl, but we didn't go to Trattoria De Salvo, although it sounds incredible. The oh-so-picky BF claims not to like Italian food, so I gave in and didn't insist on it. Instead we went to The Beaujolais -- lovely French place -- and The Moon & Sixpence, which I always love. I'd recommend both. Both are a tad pricey, but not too extravagant. And lovely food in both. Mmmmm.... Now it's back to the diet.  :(

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2005, 03:41:17 AM »
The place looks lovely! I hope you told Laura about UKY and that she'll post something. How long has she been living here?
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• BARGALARG!!
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2005, 10:25:46 AM »
I noticed a very nice smelling and attractively laid out Nepalese restaurant under Pultney Bridge (did I spell that right?). The menu had really good prices, and lots of nice vegetarian entrees. I think it was called 'Yak Yeti Yak,' and I'll be going back real soon to eat there!

It is in a small tunnel right underneath Pultney Bridge, very close to 'The Boater' Pub and Beer Garden at that point where the river breaks just beside the bridge.
ouchy

• Snaps
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2005, 10:57:48 AM »
The place looks lovely! I hope you told Laura about UKY and that she'll post something. How long has she been living here?

Actually, I didn't Lisa. She was very busy while we were there, and there wasn't much time for chatting. I did notice that lots of her guests at breakfast were American, though! It was funny to be sitting surrounded by American accents again!

Anyway, I may send her an email now I'm back home and let her know about UKY. Good suggestion!

Sponsored Links