Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Agencies--how do they work?  (Read 1098 times)

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 0
Agencies--how do they work?
« on: March 10, 2005, 04:02:31 PM »
It seems that using agencies is really common in the UK, but I'm not completely clear on how they work.

Are they really a good idea--will one generally be working and making some money if one registers with agencies faster than if one just job hunts on one's own?

I am in social science research, have a PhD, and will be looking for a Research Officer or Fellow type of job, and it's my impression that this is not an area in which I would use agencies.  Is that right?

On the other hand, my gf will be looking for work in post-production facilities doing edit assist type work, and that seems pretty well suited to going through agencies.

Is there any problem with working through agencies and doing temp work, and simultaneously looking and applying for permanent jobs on one's own?

Is there any kind of cost to the employee for using agencies--do they get part of your salary?
Liz

• Liked: 2
Re: Agencies--how do they work?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 04:14:50 PM »
Most agencies wouldn't even know what a PhD was!  Try the Times Education supplement & Guardian Education pages for details of fellowships etc. 

There is no problem doing temp work while looking for a permanent job, I have done that myself.  I made it clear to the agency & the company I worked for from the outset that I was looking for a permanent job and they were fine with that. I left after 6 weeks - gave them a week's notice and had no problems. The trouble I found with some agencies is they were reulctant to place me in a temp job for which I was over qualified.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 04:26:05 PM »
I think you've seen this site before, but for research and academia, try www.jobs.ac.uk.

Unless the agency is specialized, I'd expect them to be fairly useless for either of your fields though in London that could be wrong.

Ditto everything Britwife said, too!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 04:27:51 PM »
Let me tell you about agencies.

Agencies post things online to try and fish in your resume.  Then, if they like you, they will call you and make you come in and learn about you.  Some are very good and take what was said at that meeting and DO something with it.  Some are RUBBISH.  They all promise to be responsive and make you look good.....but i don't believe it.

I had some really good ones.  And Some shoddy ones.  Funnily enough i got this job from the first one i met, this cocky american guy who i never thought would place me.  And he got me the best job!  At no cost to me.  :)

Agencies are good. They do both perm and temp placement.  I took this job temp to perm...and worried for 2 months they may not hire me (i turned down a perm position for this one for a few reasons...)....but they did.

But yeah, when she gets here she should register with agencies.  Make sure they are willing to fight for her.  That she should find out which are good in the area and just send on her resume, not for a specific job as they are usually outdated.  Let her be confident-don't let them tell her she won't be paid well if she has good credentials.  If i could get £5 for every time someone said 'your CV is outstanding.....but since you're american and don't have the UK experience, you can expect to make LESS that others' i'd be rich.

So i took a job at an american arm of an english company and was never discriminated against once.  it's great!

• Hi there.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 04:31:52 PM »
Thanks, everyone!

Yeah, I'm already keeping an eye on jobs.ac.uk to get an idea of what's out there, what's generally required, and what I might expect to make.  I'm going to start applying next month and am nervous and excited!

I did at first think that agencies might be useless for my gf's field as well, but did find a handful of agencies that specialize in media.  I just have to be careful to weed out the ones that specialize in administrative, support, and sales positions in media and find the few that can deal with the actual editing track.  It seems there's just a few of those.
Liz

• Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 04:39:57 PM »
hey formica, my husband's best friend is an editor (for tv shows and the such) and does it freelance here.  he uses and agency.  i could ask him which one/s?

• Hi there.
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 05:36:19 PM »
hey formica, my husband's best friend is an editor (for tv shows and the such) and does it freelance here.  he uses and agency.  i could ask him which one/s?

That would be really helpful--thanks!
Liz

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 07:56:28 PM »
Just like Amiloo, I've had good ones and bad ones. I was going to advise you to get a recommendation to an agency but it lookes like Amiloo is handling that.  :)

Good luck with the job hunt. Let us know how it all goes.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 06:01:47 PM »
I just want to say - THANK YOU, Ashley.  I interviewed with Ritz today & they're da bomb.  I know it's still the very beginning of the process, but still...I couldn't have felt more comfortable & supported & encouraged by the recruiters I met (both the temp & the permanent placement recruiters).  Then as I was walking to Morrisons not too long ago, the permanent placement recruiter called & blew me away with the first (perm) job that I'm going to try for:  it's with a major international (huge corp!) consultancy/accountancy firm.  I just couldn't believe it.  So now I'm both really excited & totally freaked out.  We'll see what happens.

C
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 06:06:31 PM »
Ashley -- if I end up getting a job like that through Ritz, I owe you a posh dinner out in Leeds.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 06:20:45 PM »
I just might take you up on that!.

Let us know how the interview goes.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab