Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: DESPERATELY SEEKING SPSS - VERY VERY URGENT  (Read 1300 times)

DESPERATELY SEEKING SPSS - VERY VERY URGENT
« on: March 10, 2005, 09:57:49 PM »
OK, I know this is a super long-shot, but I'm totally and completely desperate....

I had an, erm, illegal copy of SPSS on my computer, put there while I was doing a research project by a prof. who had a copy of the school's site licence master. Well somehow, and I have NO CLUE how, it got uninstalled (we've had some trouble with adware lately and both dh and I have been desperately cleaning the computer out trying to stop it - so must've been connected to that. Otherwise perhaps the site license expired and somehow it imploded. No clue.)

ANYWAY. I have a huge stats assignment due next Friday and not enough cash to take the train to London to use the library computers. So if any other student somehow has an SPSS disc that I might copy, I'll make it worth their while once I get paid.... OR if anyone can find a copy to buy in the UK, I would be most grateful for the link - my mum said I could use her credit card, but the only copy I can find is on amazon.co.uk but it won't ship for five days which is too late. And the ones on Ebay are by and large being sold by people with little or no selling history, which worries me too much....

AAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Why does this always happen to me? And perhaps more importantly, why does it always happen to me when I've got raging PMS?!

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
Re: DESPERATELY SEEKING SPSS - VERY VERY URGENT
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 10:09:58 PM »
Can I do anything to help? I can go down to the Uni for you tomorrow.  Let me know.
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 10:23:04 PM »
Can I do anything to help? I can go down to the Uni for you tomorrow.  Let me know.

Thanks, dude. I'm not sure that'll help though. But thanks! See it's my own stupid fault - I got the data set last week and should have run it through and printed the output, but I was lazy and didn't, thinking that my copy was all snuggled happily up on my computer just waiting to be of help. So now I have exactly enough cash to get to class next Thursday but the paper is due a week from tomorrow. So really, I need to run the data by Sunday or Monday and write the paper Tuesday and Wednesday and turn it in when I'm there for class Thursday.

I just really need an online source to buy the bloody programme from. This is the first time I've EVER pulled out the "in America I could get a copy of this delivered to me tomorrow morning with no problem at all" line on dh.  :-\\\\

• Mellowing with age.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 11:10:16 PM »
I was thinking I could go get the copy for you and maybe bring it out to you?  You can pay me for it later if you want.  I think the Enquiry desk sells copies of it. 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 12:09:33 PM »
AnneG.. do you have one yet?  I have an older verision that I own.. I can get the new one for you but it will take about two days..
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Mellowing with age.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 02:11:26 PM »
I got a copy for her at our uni.  :) 

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 02:15:58 PM »
Cool....just wanted to make sure!  Love SPSS.... :P
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 02:18:23 PM »
Ah, thanks! Yeah, Kristi saved the day and got one for me over the weekend. It's now working overtime! Love SPSS, HATE writing statistics based papers!!!  :P

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 02:19:43 PM »
hee hee.. bit annoying aren't they?  It's so easy to over statistic everything and hard to find that balance.

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 02:33:11 PM »
hee hee.. bit annoying aren't they?  It's so easy to over statistic everything and hard to find that balance.

LOL, totally. And so tempting to add a bunch of stuff that I'm (reasonably) sure is superfluous just because I want to make sure I'm being thorough in my analysis. LOL. Luckily the teacher said the question could be sufficiently answered in about 1500 words - so that saves me from going too far overboard!  ::)

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 04:08:42 PM »
lol.... try to sneak in the word multicollinearity...I love that word... and spurious.... and skewed...

God I am SO sad.... ::) and I am such a geek...

• Liked: 0
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 05:55:31 PM »
Anne,
I didn't see your message till it was too late - but I've got a copy.  If it happens again let me know and I can help you out.  I've also got HLM, Parscale, Statistica and a few other stats packages I like to use.  I kind of like stats and  I'm about to start teaching it for social sciences over here.  Should be fun.
Best of luck,
Stephan
Dr. Steve

***The journey of a thousand miles, begins with a single step***

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 06:26:47 PM »
I've also got HLM, Parscale, Statistica and a few other stats packages I like to use.  I kind of like stats

You're a sick, sick man.  ;)

Seriously, thanks very much, Stephan! The copy from the uni. is working fine - no clue why the other one self-destructed, but that'll teach me to use bootlegs! Not.  ;D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab