Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: LIST: Things you SHOULDN'T have brought with you  (Read 105493 times)

• Liked: 2
Re: LIST: Things you SHOULDN'T have brought with you
« Reply #165 on: October 05, 2009, 07:26:22 PM »
I brought silver. I wear Crocs.

Do your feet get cold in the holy crocs? I'm afraid I'll bring them, then never wear them because I constantly suffer from chilly toes!

I'm one of those people who wear socks with there Crocs if its cold out but I usually have jeans on so you cant really tell I have socks on when wearing my Crocs unless your looking at my feet trying to see if I have on socks or not.  ;)  :)

• When in doubt, the answer's always tea!
    • Tea in England
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #166 on: April 19, 2010, 05:26:11 PM »
My first full summer spent in England (in Cambridgeshire) was summer of '03 - heatwave summer!!

How well I remember! I had flown over to see my [then] boyfriend [now husband]. Had been to London twice before and - forgive me, but I'm one of those weirdos - LOVED the gray, overcast, cool, rainy weather. (Always have.) Coming from the Southern US with its abundant heat, humidity and sunshine - and AIR CONDITIONING - I was so, so, so uncomfortable!

But, you know, this thread about hot/cold, etc.: everyone's personal thermostat is so different (I know mine is!) that I'd have difficulty recommending what clothes to bring/leave behind.  :) 

04/03 – Met UKC online
07/04 - Married UKC/lived in UK 1 mo.
11/04 - Moved to US 
11/08 - UKC husband received USC
03/10 - Decided to return to UK
04/10 – Received UK Spouse Visa (KOL REQ)
08/10 – Returned to UK to live; took KOL
12/10 - Received ILR
11/13 - Received British Citizenship

Re: LIST: Things you SHOULDN'T have brought with y
« Reply #167 on: June 28, 2011, 08:23:46 PM »
This section of the series is very interesting. I read somewhere that Americans are known for "hoarding" -keeping stuff even though we don't need it syndrome. This series goes to show how many things we take with us during moves, and refuse to leave behind. In retrospect then, we wish we did not carry those things. I am a huge advocate of sorting and filtering, and just throwing it out!

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
Re: LIST: Things you SHOULDN'T have brought with y
« Reply #168 on: June 29, 2011, 07:08:46 AM »
This section of the series is very interesting. I read somewhere that Americans are known for "hoarding" -keeping stuff even though we don't need it syndrome. This series goes to show how many things we take with us during moves, and refuse to leave behind. In retrospect then, we wish we did not carry those things. I am a huge advocate of sorting and filtering, and just throwing it out!
If this is mainly an American thing, than no-one told my British Mother-in-law!  :)
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

« Reply #169 on: June 29, 2011, 07:51:37 AM »
Or mine.  They have at least four rusting cars hidden throughout their property and it isn't that big. 

« Reply #170 on: June 29, 2011, 08:44:08 AM »
Mine either.  Oh dear, I don't even like thinking about it, but mine either.

« Reply #171 on: June 29, 2011, 12:11:41 PM »
My inlaws have a small farm, five kids, three daugther/son in laws and five grandkids.  And a dog.  I am amazed at the stuff I find in the back bedrooms waiting for the now grown kids to return.

• Makeup Guru & Anglophile
« Reply #172 on: July 14, 2011, 06:21:42 PM »
Reading this post has been pretty helpful, but I gotta say I LOVE my shoes and couldn't part with any of them. You never know when you'll need them  ;) As far as clothing goes, I live in California and I'm seeing mixed reviews on summer clothing. I know I need to start buying warmer sweaters and some long sleeves, but is it still ok to bring dresses, skirts, shorts and flip flops?
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

• Liked: 12
« Reply #173 on: July 14, 2011, 06:37:11 PM »
I know I need to start buying warmer sweaters and some long sleeves, but is it still ok to bring dresses, skirts, shorts and flip flops?
I never wore shorts at all in the UK -- except maybe sitting in the garden. But times have changed so maybe they're seen more often now (?) I waited to get sweaters and other woolies til I got there. Take some fleece jackets/vests though.
Definitely take your shoes  ;) I intend to.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #174 on: July 14, 2011, 06:37:57 PM »
I know I need to start buying warmer sweaters and some long sleeves, but is it still ok to bring dresses, skirts, shorts and flip flops? [/color]

I just spent two weeks on holiday in the US (in the humid heat of the south) and I wore short skirts and dresses every day for the entire trip. However, the last time I wore a casual skirt during the summer in the UK (i.e. during the day, not party/evening wear) was probably about 3 years ago (I can't even remember the last time actually)!

I've been back in the UK for a week now and I've been living in jeans ever since... unfortunately, unless we suddenly get a major heatwave in the UK (looking unlikely this year at the moment) it's highly unlikely that my brand new summer skirts from the US will be worn again in the near future - probably not until I go abroad to a hot country again (so maybe next year?).

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #175 on: July 14, 2011, 08:16:03 PM »
but is it still ok to bring dresses, skirts, shorts and flip flops?

I haven't looked at your posts to see where you're going to be in the UK, but for the past week I've been LIVING in cotton sundresses, skirts, shorts, tanks and flip-flops. Even in the evening, it's plenty warm enough for a cotton skirt and flip-flops.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 08:20:30 PM by chary »
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #176 on: July 14, 2011, 09:35:59 PM »
I must concur, Leeds to Brighton and back today- and I bought a pair of flip flops in Leeds I was so warm in my sneakers.  :-) Hopefully, this warm weather stays but I think Ksand is probably the best judge of that!  ;D
"It’s life. You don’t figure it out. You just climb up on the beast and ride." - Rebecca Wells

• Liked: 3
« Reply #177 on: July 14, 2011, 10:25:57 PM »
Don't be surprised if you get there and you're wearing wool sweaters and boots, while Chary is still in her sundresses and flip flops. It will take you a little while to acclimate. After living in the UK/Ireland for 4.5 years I was surprised at just what I considered to be hot! I'd have on flip flops and short sleeves and I'd see people wearing scarves and hats. I always just figured they were from Spain!  :P

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #178 on: July 14, 2011, 10:53:44 PM »
Don't be surprised if you get there and you're wearing wool sweaters and boots, while Chary is still in her sundresses and flip flops. It will take you a little while to acclimate. After living in the UK/Ireland for 4.5 years I was surprised at just what I considered to be hot! I'd have on flip flops and short sleeves and I'd see people wearing scarves and hats. I always just figured they were from Spain!  :P

My first day in the UK I was in shorts and flip-flops!  ;D
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 3
« Reply #179 on: July 15, 2011, 12:35:06 AM »
My first day in the UK I was in shorts and flip-flops!  ;D

Of course! You're British!  ;D

Sponsored Links