Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Careers That Pay Well In The UK ie enough to support a family  (Read 7643 times)

• Banned

• Liked: 0
Re: Careers That Pay Well In The UK ie enough to support a family
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2005, 07:12:03 PM »
so if people an't afford homes, where exactly do they live. should i expect to see hordes of homeless people, families if i come back?

Oh, there are a LOT of folks asking that these days.  In fact, less than 30% of home sales were to first-time buyers last year.  They're becoming rarer and rarer these days.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2005, 07:15:21 PM »
They rent, either privately or from the Council.  Yes, there are a lot of homeless people, you can expect to see them, especially in the big cities.

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2005, 07:49:54 PM »
You can afford a home.  You just can't afford a four bedroom house in the suburbs of London.  Not on a beginners salary.  Maybe if you work hard and are good at what you do you can afford that eventually.  But for now, you're just like everybody else. 

I'm not sure what answers you're looking for.  I think you really have two choices.  You either suck it up like the rest of us, or you stay in Utah. 

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2005, 07:57:43 PM »
someone said nobody can save 500-1000 UKP per month, but i'm saving $700 per month right now??

$700=£365.83!!! Not £500-1000!  This isn't rocket science. 

• Does my bum look big in this?
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2005, 08:01:27 PM »
it's hard to swallow that utah is so much more prosperous than the entire UK!

The cost of living is WAY lower in Utah than in the UK.  And it's not that Utah is so much more prosperous (surely living in Utah you know that it is NOT a rich state), it's that you happen to be in a job that pays way about twice the average wage in Utah.  And nobody is begrudging you....I know it takes a lot of work and schooling to become a lawyer.  BUT....as you know, in any position, anywhere, you are only worth what someone is willing to pay.  And apparently in the UK, they are not willing to pay the salary that you would like.  D***, if I were getting paid what I thought I was worth I'd be set for life!!!
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2005, 08:05:20 PM »
someone said nobody can save 500-1000 UKP per month, but i'm saving $700 per month right now??

Again, has to do with the cost of living vs your salary.  If I were making 60k/year here in Utah, I could save a considerable amount as well.
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2005, 08:41:24 PM »
on that basis i'm gonna stay here till 2008 and see if i can remain indefinitely in the US.

probably one of the most intelligent things you've said on this thread!  ;)
good luck to you...

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2005, 09:59:24 PM »
so if people an't afford homes, where exactly do they live. should i expect to see hordes of homeless people, families if i come back?

Well, we're a family who rents privately.  Like 38% of Edinburgh's population, we live in a flat.  Cozy.  Centrally heated and with double glazed windows.  It's 3 floors up, but we are fortunate b/c we are able-bodied and being higher up means less noise off the street.  We feel so lucky and blessed.  Life is so much happier when you focus on what you have instead of what you have not. 

I honestly think, based on your posts, that exploring remaining in the US indefinitely might be a good option for you. 

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2005, 11:25:30 PM »
Well, we're a family who rents privately.  Like 38% of Edinburgh's population, we live in a flat.  Cozy.  Centrally heated and with double glazed windows.  It's 3 floors up, but we are fortunate b/c we are able-bodied and being higher up means less noise off the street.  We feel so lucky and blessed.  Life is so much happier when you focus on what you have instead of what you have not. 

I honestly think, based on your posts, that exploring remaining in the US indefinitely might be a good option for you. 

I rent privately and while I'm single, I live quite comfortably in a 1 bedroom, first floor flat with central heating.  I'm happy to be living in London, even with all the difficulties that come along with it.  It hasn't really occured to think of what I don't have because I'm so happy to be here with what I already have.  :)
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Banned

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2005, 11:55:36 PM »
using the exchange rate to make comparisons is pointless unless one lives in the US/UK and commutes via some speed of light plane everyday and spends their money in the US/UK.

as for utah being more prosperous than london. it has to be. surely there is only more wealth in london due to a much larger population, but per head utah looks wealthier (wealth in terms of purchasing power, not numerical figures). working class people here can afford a 4 bed detached home, a car, eating out frequently, movies, and save too.  many professionals in london, and outside of it, can't even do that.

so, i'm just questioning the current financial system, and i'm not dissagreeing with your guy's observations at all. i can't figure out why this upsets people though?

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2005, 12:07:06 AM »
I'm guessing it's the implication that people living here are on the verge of poverty and live in squalor.  I don't live in the most posh borough but I'm not even close to being homeless or unable to make ends meet every month.
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2005, 12:24:35 AM »
as for utah being more prosperous than london. it has to be. surely there is only more wealth in london due to a much larger population, but per head utah looks wealthier (wealth in terms of purchasing power, not numerical figures). working class people here can afford a 4 bed detached home, a car, eating out frequently, movies, and save too.  many professionals in london, and outside of it, can't even do that.

Are we living in the same Utah?  ???  I can't afford a 4 bedroom home, detached or otherwise, and many of my "working class" friends make even less than I do and are less able to afford to buy a home.  Housing prices are increasing much more rapidly than salaries.  I do have a car, but the 45 mile commute to work kind of dictates that!  I don't eat out frequently.  I go to the movies maybe 3-4 times per year.  I don't have a huge savings account.  Utah has one of the highest bankruptcy rates in the US, so there apparently many others without much in the way of savings either.  The average household salary in Utah is less than $30k per annum.  And that's the AVERAGE, meaning that while some (such as you) earn multiples of that amount, many earn much, much less.  Many people have no health insurance and work 2 or more jobs to make ends meet Perhaps you live in a wealthier community than I do, but I am honestly baffled by your statement that Utah has to be more prosperous than London. 

Utah is a wonderful place to live in terms of family values, natural beauty, and outdoor recreational opportunities.  There are some great universities.  There are NOT a lot of well paying jobs.  You are very fortunate to have the salary that you do and to be able to save as you do now.  We are only trying to point out that you can have a good life on less money in the UK.  It may not be the exact SAME life as you have now in Utah, but it can still be good.  And by going on and on about how wonderful you've got it here, and how horrible things must be in the UK, you are rubbing a lot of people the wrong way whether that's your intent or not. 

Personally, if I were in your shoes I would probably stay put.  It sounds like you would find adjusting to life back in the UK very frustrating.  And on your present salary you should be able to afford frequent visits....  ;)

using the exchange rate to make comparisons is pointless unless one lives in the US/UK and commutes via some speed of light plane everyday and spends their money in the US/UK.

Sarcasm doesn't usually translate well in internet forums.....
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 12:50:08 AM by closet.hippie »

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2005, 12:32:06 AM »
Hi tenthplanet... Don't know much about the economy really. I think my lifestyle is better in the UK than it was in the US, but very different. We have been living on my hub's salary for the past year (he's a software engineer) but I am looking for a job too. Once I start working, I expect that we will be able to save most of my salary from month to month. Husband had quite a bit saved, until I came along...  ;)  But then there were the expenses incurred of dating across the Atlantic, my move to the UK, our wedding, plus we love to travel. Things that we save on: we don't have an extravagant lifestyle on a daily basis, he has a tiny car that we don't use very much -- taking public transport instead, we don't eat out a lot but we both cook well & love wine, not into expensive hobbies (other than travel). Also, I take full advantage of the exchange rate when I visit the States -- loading up on clothing & things that are much cheaper & available there -- like OTC medicines, etc. We just bought a home in West Yorkshire -- it's not huge but not tiny either.  Loan was for 2 1/2 times his annual salary & his parents gave us a sizable chunk of dough towards the down payment.  We put down about 1/3 of the purchase price & financed the remaining 2/3.  It's an old building with loads of great character, 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, loft, cellar, plus big kitchen & living room -- room for renovation improvements. We love it, it's a great house to start with & we can live here quite happily for a long time.  As for your law background in US & UK, would think you could make more as an international corporate lawyer?  Don't really know but just speculating?

Carolyn B
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2005, 02:29:01 AM »

Of course exchange rates are relevant, as you know since you've mentioned them several times. When talking about cost of living, house prices, wages, savings, expenses etc - and when talking about those things in the framework of US/UK similarities and differences - I think the exchange rate rightly plays a role.

surely there is only more wealth in london due to a much larger population,

Or it could have something to do with London being a massive metropolitan city that existed way, way before Utah began being re-populated by white people. Or it could have something to do with it being in Europe and therefore having the people, resources etc to aquire wealth that Utah - again - has only had for a relatively miniscule amount of time. London isn't landlocked like Utah is. People don't pass through Utah on their life's travels like they do London. Utah doesn't attract the kind of immigrant population that London does. So I think it is fair to say that there are a lot of reaons why London would be wealthier than Utah.

so, i'm just questioning the current financial system, and i'm not dissagreeing with your guy's observations at all. i can't figure out why this upsets people though?

Personally, I'm not upset. I do wonder why this is all such a shock to you as you are a brit and only moved to the US in 1998. I think it is fair enough to wonder WHY there is such a difference - and I gave my opinion about that in the other thread you started - I guess I'm just in the club of people who wonder why it is such a (seemingly) sudden shock to you that there is quite a large difference between Utah and London.

Also, I personally think that if you are basing your current or future quality of life so largely on money then you aren't going to find real happiness in either country. Just my opinion. London might be expensive, but it will give you a life that Utah can never give you. Likewise, the life Utah can give you will not be found in Greenwich. That just seems kind of obvious to me.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 02:30:50 AM by Marlespo »
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2005, 06:40:26 AM »

I'm picking up (rightly or wrongly) from your posts, a lot of arrogance, and the idea that you are ULTRA focused on money.  Those are the 2 things i hate most in the world.
That's why your posts are annoying me.
I'll stay away from your posts in future, as i cant add anything constructive or useful.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab