Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Travel tips for flying overseas with babies!  (Read 3539 times)

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
Re: Travel tips for flying overseas with babies!
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2004, 08:08:03 PM »
Oh - I also wanted to add that airplanes will allow you to bring infant car seats on them, the bacward facing kind, but they must have a 5 point harness. Our doesn't. So on take off and landing Philip sat buckled in my lap. We ended up using the plane's bassinett seat on the way back, but we used his car seat on the way there. Only for times when the seatbelt sign was turned of. When that sign goes on they need to be on your lap.

Also also, BA has little pre-made boxes of SMA formula. It is SMA gold, but it did in a pinch (Philip uses the Progress stuff now). We were using one of his bottles for landing but he sucked the thing down fast and we didn't have any formula left in it for the rest of the decsent (sp?) - so the flight attendant popped back and poured a bit of the pre-made into his bottle. Helped loads -as sucking meant his ears weren'tbothering him.
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

Re: flying with children
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2005, 11:02:52 AM »
Baby travel tips.

* take a bottle of water-planes are dehydrating and he'll be as thirsty as you.

*take one nappy for every two hours of travel

*take one extra outfit, so baby looks clean and cute when you
  meet Grandma

*take one extra t-shirt for you for when baby spills your orange
  juice down your front

*cram as much sh*t into your check-in bag and only carry what
  you have to.  Pack your jackets and coats in your check-in.  Don't carry anything extra.

*take one or two old favorite toys and one or two new exciting
  toys-if you can get your hands on a couple of the little wind-up 
  toys that come in Mcdonalds Meals, they are great for keeping
  baby amused-finger puppets are good to.

*don't take anything with little bits and peices that can get lost or roll down the aisle.

*feed during take off and during landing-it keeps their little ears
  clear.  Take a dummy if he uses one.

*If someone offers to help, say yes please

*Ask the flight attendents for help, that's what they get paid for

*If you have an umbrella stroller, keep him in it right up til the
  plane. 

*Get a good nights sleep, you're going to need it

*Have one place in your bag for your passport, tickets, etc.  then
  there's less fumbling around.

*Take a baby blanket for when he's asleep. 

* Don't take stacks of books for him-one or two will interest him.

*A book for yourself?  wahahahaha.  But maybe a magazine. 

*Have Fun
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 12:18:01 PM by Mindy »

• Does my bum look big in this?
  • Liked: 0
Re: Travel tips for flying overseas with babies!
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2005, 04:18:41 AM »
We are flying next September for the first time with a 9 year old and a 14 month old at the time. I am so worried. We are flying Chicago to London. I keep trying to think how much we should carry on, should I take the stroller, what about immigration, when I have both kids as hubby goes through the other line. I tend to worry, but this is really stressful. I have 8.5 months before the trip but I am already making lists!

My kids are now 8 and 11, and I've been travelling with them since the eldest was 8 months old.  Everyone has lots of great tips for travelling with babies.  It will be much easier with the 9 year old.  Now that my kids are older, they pack their own carry-ons, and they carry them themselves.  I have veto power over what goes in their bags, but they usually pack pretty sensibly.  On their last trip over, they both packed...their favorite "comfort" object (stuffed animal for elder dd, blanket for younger dd); gameboys w/2 games and headphones; reading book; disposable camera; notebook/travel journal; cd player w/audio books on cd; sweatshirt; water bottle; snacks; and gum (something they don't get to chew often at home but I always let them chew it on the plane to help with their ears).  I pack a few extra snacks, a decongestant, and travel sickness meds for them in my carryon.  I usually have them pack their carry-ons the day before and carry them around for an hour or so....they tend to start out with a lot of stuff but are usually willing to thin it out a bit after they've had to carry the bag for a while!  I also make sure they're dressed very comfortably...last trip they wore t-shirts, flannel pj bottoms, and comfy sandals that were easy to take on and off.  (Which was a good thing, considering we had to take our shoes of a number of times passing through security.)  We packed our coats in our checked luggage, so didn't have to worry about toting those around.

One item that I packed in my own bag as a 'surprise' turned out to be a lifesaver during a long delay at the airport.  I packed a box of the 'water color' colored pencils.  I got a small cup of water, dipped the pencils in the water, and drew 'temporary tattoos' on the kids.  They loved it!  And not only my own kids....soon other kids in the waiting area were asking if I could give them a tattoo as well!  (I did make sure they had permission from their parents first.)  Also, I didn't take bubbles on my last trip, but they are always a huge hit with the kids, no matter what the age.  I definitely recommend them....

Also remembered something else....take a few uninflated balloons.  You can blow them up during layovers in airports and let the kids play with them.  (Try to find an empty departure lounge!)  They take up absolutely NO room and the kids have a blast.  They're also easy to dispose of before you have to get on the next plane.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 04:22:08 AM by closet.hippie »
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2005, 07:25:23 PM »
thanks guys, good advice.....wish us luck!! :-*
Deb

'If it's too loud, you're too old!!'

' Regret the things you do, not the things you didn't'

http://debbiesmomentsintime.blogspot.com/

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2005, 06:53:57 AM »
My poor DD has flown more than 10 times with us, and over half were international (she is 20months, too).

Everyone's advice is great, I would like to add 2 more. 

1. Go to a charity shop and get a bunch of new (well, new to YOUR child) little toys, and get some strings to tie to each one, that way when your sweet child just happens to 'drop' the toy 10 times, you don't have to try to fish it out in cramped quarters.  (also, it becomes it's own game, which is easy and fun)

2.  Take your child to the back of the plane, where there is a little area to stand.  On almost every international flight, I met other parents with kids, and you know how kids love to look at each other/'play'

Have fun!

Sponsored Links