Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Work Permit Stuff... A Little Help? :)  (Read 789 times)

• MySpace Page
  • Liked: 0
Work Permit Stuff... A Little Help? :)
« on: March 15, 2005, 03:28:25 AM »
Hey - I'm relatively new to this forum, but posted a little while back and got some great feedback, so I'm hoping for the same again.  So... here goes: I'm an American guy with a boyfriend in the UK.  We're both pretty excited about the passing of the Civil Partnershi Act (in effect December of this year) enabling us to actually be together permanently... Anyway, alongside the CPA, I've somehow managed to get a law firm in Southern England interested in me.  Sadly, they have no idea how to actually go about applying for a work permit.  I've read some stuff online, but it seems like all the info at the various ".gov" sites is intentionally vague, and a little off-putting.  So, I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone here can help me with (since you guys seem both invariably good-natured and "in the know").

First, what is the procedure (in a nutshell) for applying for a work permit?  Admittedly, I'm nothing special: no college degree, no work in my field (legal services) of international importance, etc.  However, I do (and have for 4 years) specialize in US and international intellectual property law, which would be an asset to the firm offering the position (and, seemingly, this would satisfy that whole "you have to have knowledge that no citizen does" thing).  Am I right in thinking that they have to formally extend an offer and apply through the Embassy or Home Office on their end initially?

Second, in the event that I do wrangle a work permit for myself (however unlikely that may be) and gain employment at the aforementioned firm, would it be a serious hassle for me to switch my permit over to a marrriage visa somewhere down the line? 

Any information is extremely appreciated.  As payment, I offer an impromptu karaoke performance of the rock ballad of your choice in a shopping mall near you.  Of course, I'll have to be drunk first...

Thanks!
   KW
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 04:03:10 PM by meddle81 »

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Work Permit Stuff... A Little Help? :)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 01:36:35 PM »
The company who is interested in you would have to apply for the work permit on your behalf.  You should tell them to get in contact with the Home Office about it...they can find initial info on it at:   http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/working_in_the_uk/en/homepage/work_permits/overview_of_process.html?

Then once you get the work permit from your company, you will have to apply to the consulate (in the US) for an entry clearance.  Then you can come on over for the amount of time that your entry clearance allows.

I have gone through this process and am currently in the UK.  If I wanted to now apply for a spouse visa, I'd be in just about the same shape as almost anyone else...you still have to apply for it, pay for it, etc (same old hassle)...but I'm not sure how it would work in your instance to be honest (my guess...the same).  Being here already may help but not too much.

Sorry I can't help too much...but even if it did...I do decline the offered payment!   ;)

• MySpace Page
  • Liked: 0
Re: Work Permit Stuff... A Little Help? :)
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 04:04:27 PM »
Thanks so much.  I thought the bruden of initial formalities was on them... Now, I guess I'll find out whether they actually want me!

Thanks again,
   KW

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab