Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Ok reallllly need some help here!!!!!!!!  (Read 2183 times)

• Liked: 8
Re: Ok reallllly need some help here!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2005, 09:26:03 AM »
I would really love it if my family would move over here.  My experience here has been good, but I would be so much happier if we were closer to my family.  We don't have any contact w/ DH's family, so we're pretty much alone here.   :-\\\\  Like a lot of women on here, I'm worried about having children in the UK without my family (mom and grandma especially!) around....for me, it'd be perfect if they lived down the road instead of across the ocean.

Just saying there might be benefits in having your parents so close.  I hope the positive will outweigh the negative for you.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2005, 12:38:04 PM »
My wife tells me that I am off the mark on this one, and that the American inlaws should understand implicitly that the couple should be left alone for a couple of years.? The inlaws' move would be more welcome later.

Jim

• Family of 4!
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2005, 05:18:46 PM »
I agree, but later on ! lol

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2005, 05:26:37 PM »
My wife tells me that I am off the mark on this one, and that the American inlaws should understand implicitly that the couple should be left alone for a couple of years.? The inlaws' move would be more welcome later.

Jim

This makes me giggle, because I'm getting married in May, and we decided to move back to the states so that we can be very near my folks.

Of course, his have both already passed away, and mine are both ill so we want to be near them to offer help, but still...we are already planning to go over and take out thier recyling, help plant the vegetable garden and mow the lawn right after the honeymoon!

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2005, 11:16:23 PM »
Wow, you leave tomorrow! Good luck!
Well, my two cents worth on this - you might  be surprised how much you change your mind about things, even when you are certain about how you think you will respond... well, never underestimate the unpredictability of your emotions and the events that play on them. 
Were I to be in your position, I would ask them to wait until the transition process for you was complete (and you could tantalize them with this by saying you will be able to help them when the time comes because you will have the experience, etc...)  Unfortunately, there may not be much you can say that won't hurt them, so instead of saying don't, or wait til I want you, perhaps try an angle of "wait until I can help you".  If they argue that they are ok without your help, you might point out that it would be a difficult for you because you would feel a sense of responsibility for them, and you would want to be able to help them. 
I am assuming on the emotions a bit, but this might be a way to solve the dilemma without too much emotional distress?  Like everyone else said though, they could visit and decide it's too much of a change, or the time and effort it would take to accomplish it could get the idea out of their minds.
Good luck though with everything, and congrats on your wedding. 
Tmac
Know Thyself

• Family of 4!
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2005, 05:09:11 AM »
Thanks Tmac, things are much better now. I had a talk with them and they are cool. They understand we need our space.  Thanks again!
tomorrow!!!!!

Sponsored Links