Sponsored Links

Topic: Mildew  (Read 1489 times)

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 0
Mildew
« on: July 06, 2003, 11:00:53 PM »
Such a lovely topic.

Anyway… our bathroom is almost entirely tiled.  Unfortunately, the tiles near the bathtub have some mildew in the grout.  I went to the store to try and find some good cleaner, but I can’t find anything that specifically says it fights mold(mould) and/or mildew.  Does anyone know of anything that works well?

Thanks!!

-Lisa-
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
Re: Mildew
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2003, 11:25:00 PM »
Try Detox Mold & Mildew Remover.  It's a lot like Tilex that I used back home.

HTH
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 03:30:32 AM »
I sometimes go the hard way and use bleach, baking soda, and an old toothbrush...but only if I'm doing spring or fall cleaning.

It's cheaper than a spray, though.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 05:08:40 AM »
I don't know if they have the UK equivalent of Oxyclean, but that works.  The best thing you can do is take a bit of bleach like SAF said.  

I use a spray bottle and fill it with bleach and water and spray on just like Tilex.  Depending on how bad the mildew is you might have to let it soak in.  Just open a window and close the door and hide for awhile!

Then rinse it clean!

;D
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2003, 09:45:39 AM »
I've found grout cleaner at our local DIY store.  I can't recall just now what they were called but there were several types on offer.  

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2003, 10:32:41 AM »
SAF's bleach and baking soda is about the best I've seen, but if you can't find the bleach, or can't stand the fumes, try toothpaste with baking soda and whitener.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2003, 11:17:24 AM »
Thanks, you guys.  Caitlinn, last night, at the last minute I FINALLY found the Dettox at my Saindbury's... don't you know I had to bring my husband to find it?  Jeesh.  When it's right in front of you....

Good thing I found it... company is coming tomorrow!!  If it doesn't work, I've got bleach and baking soda on standby.  :-)

Thank you!!!

-Lisa-
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2003, 03:43:14 PM »
We recently painted our tiles..white  they look brand new...took a bit of hard labor though..he he ;D
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2003, 10:36:03 AM »
I painted my kitchen tiles too... they were a horrible peach colour with a twee pattern printed on some of them... they are now a lovely clean WHITE!  
But i reckon if you had mildew, you'd have to get rid of that first before you paint them, or it would just grow through the paint.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab