Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Has anyone. . .  (Read 890 times)

• Schenectady to Newcastle to Toronto
  • Liked: 0
Has anyone. . .
« on: March 19, 2005, 08:47:29 PM »
Sorry if this has been asked before. . .

Would it work if we bought two sets of tickets  (purchase one set in the UK, purchase the second set in the US)? For example,

Leave the UK on outbound ticket 1 (bought in UK)- London to NYC
Return to the UK on outbound ticket 2 (bought in US)- NYC to London
Leave the UK on Return ticket 2 (bought in US)- London to NYC
Return to the UK on Return ticket 1 (bought in UK) - NYC to London

Just wondering if anyone's done this before, and if so did you have any problems? I want to take advantage of the cheap ticket prices in the US and the exchange rate, but I don't know if it is more hassle than its worth. If anyone knows, please let me know!
Thank you!

• London Rollergirl
  • Liked: 1
Re: Has anyone. . .
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 08:51:10 PM »
 ???

I don't see the savings in this ... :-[

I knew a glasto person that got a cheap overall flight by going

Washington DC to Ireland then bought a cheap ryan air flight to london
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 08:56:31 PM by Alicia »
But never fear, gentlemen; castration was really not the point of feminism, and we women are too busy eviscerating one another to take you on.

• Schenectady to Newcastle to Toronto
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 08:56:36 PM »
Tickets bought in the US are usually so much cheaper and when we're making money in pounds its much better to spend dollars (with the exchange rate usually around 1.81).   

• London Rollergirl
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 09:01:01 PM »
but you can get cheap return flights London to NYC  ??? from UK buying two sets of tickets seem like you save what?? £20  ??? that double taxes paid :-[

enlighten me anyone? as I am keen for info if this is possible  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

But never fear, gentlemen; castration was really not the point of feminism, and we women are too busy eviscerating one another to take you on.

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 09:13:12 PM »
No, I dont get it. As an ex airline employee I would think the cheapest way to go is a nice round trip super saver fare bought from your country of origin.
Good luck!

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 02:17:05 PM »
Kowalsks,  I'm guessing that you would purchase both sets of tickets before you left the UK?  It shouldn't be an especial problem to do, but you may find you need a USA address to give them for the USA starting ticket; we regularly buy "US starters" for our son when he comes to visit ... some airlines are good about it, but it's less easy with others.

BUT, like others, I question what / how much you'll really save if anything.
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

• London Rollergirl
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 02:27:00 PM »
I'm sort of seeing that they buy UK tickets...fly on the UK to america then in America purchase a set of tickets. I don't see a big savings...even with the dollar being so cheap.

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 02:28:24 PM »
Leave the UK on Return ticket 2 (bought in US)- London to NYC

I've had trouble in the past buying tickets from US based websites for travel originating in the UK.

And I have to agree with Alicia - seems to me that you can get better deals on UK sites anyway.... US airfares are ridiculous - especially if you buy them late - even with the exchange rate.

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 06:25:43 PM »
I did a quick check on "cheap flights" London->NY for made-up dates 6-12 April and got these rates:
(prices are per person, round-trip and include tax)

- KLM Royal Dutch Airlines £232
- Virgin Atlantic £237
- American Airlines £238
- United Airlines £239
- Alitalia £253

The prices are amazing!
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 08:21:07 PM »
No, I dont get it. As an ex airline employee I would think the cheapest way to go is a nice round trip super saver fare bought from your country of origin.
Good luck!

Not necessarily. Tickets from the UK to the US are cheaper than from the US to the UK. Jon once wrote to BMI to ask why this was and their reply was that "Americans will pay move".  ::)  When I moved to the UK, Jon was living here and he had to come to the US for our wedding. It was cheaper for him to buy two return tickets from the UK to the US than him buying one return ticket from the UK to the US and me buying a one way ticket from the US.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 08:47:08 PM »
Not necessarily. Tickets from the UK to the US are cheaper than from the US to the UK. Jon once wrote to BMI to ask why this was and their reply was that "Americans will pay move".  ::)  When I moved to the UK, Jon was living here and he had to come to the US for our wedding. It was cheaper for him to buy two return tickets from the UK to the US than him buying one return ticket from the UK to the US and me buying a one way ticket from the US.

I guess it depends on where in the US one is flying to/from.  In the case of NYC, it is cheaper to buy in the US than in the UK, espcially with the current exchange rate.  I am flying to NYC next month and I paid GBP220 roundtrip including tax on BA.  BA was recently having a sale to fly from NYC to LON for $285 roundtrip including tax.

bvamin

• London Rollergirl
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2005, 09:13:03 PM »
so what are the conditions for in the BA ticket from US? As well , £200 or so for a ticket to NYC seem fair price what is the advantage of spending an extra £152 ($285) you're saving £68 not exactly life altering savings. Can you refund your ticket (the UK one) after flying the first leg of the UK ticket??

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 04:14:31 PM »
Interesting...I've had this little question too.

I am flying out July 30th to stay (US to UK, phila to manchester). I thought a one way was really expensive, so maybe I should have a return ticket for when I want to come back in November and buy another round trip for the end of my november visit and return on it another time. Seems a bit complicated, but maybe makes sense for ppl that originate in the states and will end up going back soon. I haven't really worried about it just yet and may still do the one-way thing. Any suggestions are welcome!
Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

Sponsored Links