Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Quick visa question.  (Read 944 times)

• Liked: 70
Quick visa question.
« on: March 21, 2005, 07:38:52 PM »
I'm American, he's English.  We're gonna live in the UK.

We're still about a year out from the date we picked but we're having trouble knowing when to apply for a visa.  Anyone recently married who can tell me when to apply?  Is face-to-face easier or is mail the app in easier?

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
Re: Quick visa question.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 08:06:03 PM »
Are you getting married in the UK? If so, you will need a fiance visa. You have to be married within 6 months after receiving the visa. Did that answer your questions?

P.S.  You can get married in the US, and then move to the UK on a spousal visa, also.

You cannot visit the UK for more than 6 months as just a tourist. You have to either get a fiance visa, or get married outside the UK and come to the UK with a spouse visa.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 08:59:54 PM by sweetpeach »

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 09:31:12 PM »
It's really up to you when you apply.  Some people apply as soon as they can (six months ahead of the wedding) and some wait until right before they leave the US to apply.

Applying in person, in my opinion, is easiest.  I guess it's easier on the nerves -- we applied for my spousal visa in person and I felt better about being right in front of the person when we applied.  I was far too nervous to wait by the mailbox for a response!   :)  Still, again, it's up to you.  If you're resonably close to a consulate though, (NYC, LA, or Chicago), I'd just apply in person.

• Liked: 70
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 09:50:26 PM »
Can I apply in person in the UK?

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 09:52:38 PM »
Nope -- you must obtain your fiancee' visa in the US.  Same with a spousal visa.

Edit -- you can adjust status from fiancee' to spouse within the UK (for an additional fee, of course!   ;))

This is unsolicited advice -- if your fiance is going to the US for the pre-wedding reception anyway, it might pay to go ahead and get married in the US.  Once you're married, you can apply for your spousal visa and you'll enter the UK able to work and you won't have to do any additional paperwork until you apply for your ILR (two years from the issuance of your spousal visa).  You can still do a renewal once you get over here.  I'm just thinking of financial stuff.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 09:55:35 PM by Lola »

• York Interweb
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 10:33:09 PM »
It's really up to you when you apply.  Some people apply as soon as they can (six months ahead of the wedding) and some wait until right before they leave the US to apply.

If you decide to apply at the last minute, note that you have to legally reside in the UK for at least one week  before you can give notice, then you have to wait an additional 15 days before you can get married.

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 07:57:08 AM »
If you decide to apply at the last minute, note that you have to legally reside in the UK for at least one week  before you can give notice, then you have to wait an additional 15 days before you can get married.

Yeah, that's why I said they wait until right before they leave the US -- one can't get the visa on a Friday, enter the UK on Saturday, and get married on Sunday -- gotta build in time to give notice.  Larissa, if you're going the fiancee' visa route, it may be easiest to apply early (and get the visa headaches over and done with!) and head to the UK a month or so before the wedding to give notice.

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 08:23:13 PM »
I applied in the post and I got my fiancee visa back in about a week.  They keep you posted by e-mail as to the status ie when they receive it and after it has been processed.  For me it would have been a pain to go into NYC and I was hesitant about the mail but it worked out fine.  I just made sure I had everything detailed out so there would be no mistakes.  Make sure you apply for your visa with enough time to give notice at the registrars

Sponsored Links