Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anyone play boardgames like Settlers?  (Read 1469 times)

• Liked: 0
Anyone play boardgames like Settlers?
« on: March 25, 2005, 05:52:17 PM »
Dave and I are European style boardgamers. Most of the games we play originate in Germany. Its an awesome way to be social and have fun, talk and eat the night away! Anyone know of any clubs or anyone actually game themselves?
Gwen

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
Re: Anyone play boardgames like Settlers?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 06:37:08 PM »
I haven't heard of that game, in particular. But you can always check under www.yahoo.com (or www.yahoo.co.uk), and once there, click on the "Games" option... I've made a lot of friends through playing games internationally.

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 02:23:33 PM »
I have some friends in the States who are big into boardgaming.  They all get together every other week or so and pull out the games they like to play.  They like the strategy ones, I think Rail Baron is one.  There was also a pretty fun one they had, the setting was a few hundred years ago and you had to grow crops or mine or whatnot to buy ships and build storehouses and whatnot and basically take over the market.

Anyway, I'm afraid I don't have much in the way of games except a few social games like Scatergories and I also have Simpsons Clue.  If anyone does start up a London or Thames Valley area board gaming thing (even once a month or whatever) I'd be interested.

Whereabouts do you live BritFan?

Matt
And the world first spoke to me in Sensurround

• StokesInternet
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 04:33:53 PM »
We do. I have long been into the intense strategy games, and my wife and I both enjoy euro-games and card games. Its something fun we found we share. We are fans of Carcassone, and have played Settlers of Catan (I assume thats the one you mean) and a bunch of others.

In fact, at our wedding reception we decided we didn't like to dance, so instead we put games out on the tables and encouraged people to mingle and play. We ran a games night once at our church for a while too.

David
Pictures From Our New Home!
http://www.stokesinternet.com/move

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 01:22:36 AM »
David and Chris,

Dave and I are moving to the Leeds area in about three months. I have found out a little more about the strategy game clubs and stores in England.
Just played games last weekend!
Gwen

• Travels, Trials and Triumphs
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 09:04:28 PM »
Another "gaming" pair here.  Settlers is one of our favorites, as is Mahjongg.  Hard to find other players though.

Perhaps having a games night at a local pub/cafe would be worth setting up?

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 11:32:07 PM »
I think it shouldn't be too hard to meet up and game in a game store or pub. Perhaps even hosting a game get together at our house might not be out of the question. I guess I will have to wait and see. Have some friends moving to Germany so they should be able to hook me up with lots of strategy games that are released there. translations are always available at www.boardgamegeek.com
If you are interested in learning more about strategy and european games, check that site out.
Gwen

Sponsored Links