Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: hangers-ship or buy?  (Read 948 times)

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
hangers-ship or buy?
« on: March 28, 2005, 08:50:08 PM »
My fiance doesn't work in an office, so has the minimal amount of clothing. I, on the other hand, have worked in offices for 20 years, and in that time have amassed closetfuls of business clothing.

We're redecorating the flat in York, and we already plan on purchasing some extra closets for my stuff along with additional furniture.  However, I don't have hangers in the York flat to hang my clothing on.  Is it cheaper to ship over a boxful of hangers, or just buy a whole bunch of new hangers in a shop?

Re: hangers-ship or buy?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 08:54:36 PM »
The cheapest I've seen hangers over here was about 88p for 10 (of the thick plastic type) at Wilkinson's.  I didn't bring any with me and vividly remember having to buy a ton when I first moved here -- I think the cashier thought I was insane!

• London Rollergirl
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 09:02:41 PM »
hangers are a plenty here ..when I was selling costumes online here I never had a problem even getting them for free from market stalls...I don't mean cheap wire ones either. You'll be wasting your money shipping them here because they may even put a customs duty tax on them if you're unlucky....my dad sent some toys to jess and they stuck a charge even with "gift" written on it. ::)
But never fear, gentlemen; castration was really not the point of feminism, and we women are too busy eviscerating one another to take you on.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 09:58:10 PM »
You shouldn't have to pay any duty on used goods, only new, but even so it's probably not worth shipping hangers, you can buy them cheaply here at places like Woolworths.

• York Interweb
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 10:02:27 PM »
I wasn't worried about customs, just the shipping cost. But thanks, now I know not to bother shipping them.

• London Rollergirl
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 10:05:23 PM »
Dad sent just a box via airmail with toys and marked it as "Gifts" they charged me I'm afraid. Paid an extra £11 for some Gund teddy bears. 

again I wouldn't think you've have a problem ...damn if you've only asked in Dec I would have just given you my box I had in the shed  ;)
But never fear, gentlemen; castration was really not the point of feminism, and we women are too busy eviscerating one another to take you on.

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 06:38:18 PM »
Dad sent just a box via airmail with toys and marked it as "Gifts" they charged me I'm afraid. Paid an extra £11 for some Gund teddy bears. 

Yeah, my mom is now trained to write "previously owned personal items" on every package she sends me - granted, they usually ARE old bits and bobs that I just haven't got 'round to shipping over here yet, but every now and then she's sneaky and takes price tags off of stuff and still writes that on the box.  :-X The funniest thing though was when she sent me some People magazines and a pound of coffee (my mom knows how to keep me happy!) and wrote that on the box!!!!  ;D

• Mellowing with age.
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 10:06:36 PM »
I packed a few in my suitcases, like 25 or so and then bought more at Ikea and Woolies.  Shipping an entire box is a waste of money.  :)
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 04:14:49 AM »
you know I was just wondering this myself this morning.  I'm a bit anal-retentive about my hangers - all dresses and tops must go on thick white plastic hangers.  Guess I'll just hit woolies or £stretcher when I arrive then.
Maroon Passport Club!

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 01:51:10 PM »
I'm anal about my hangers as well. In the UK I went to Woolworths and bought wooden hangers for everything, they were really reasonably priced compared to other places and did just the trick. :)
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Liked: 0
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 11:47:02 AM »
Buy the hangers in the states and buy the thing you store the hangers on. Just in case you have to many hangers. The plastic hangers in the UK are smaller than the ones you get back in the states. So your blouses my have hanger marks prior to the shoulder area. The hangers here that i have seen are not as thick as the ones in the states.

Good luck in what ever you choose.

jsayegh
Back Home,
JSayegh

• Liked: 0
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 01:27:11 PM »
I would have to agree with Jsayegh.  I found the hangers to be smaller and not as thick here.  I packed about 30 hangers in one of my boxes... but I wasn't really strapped for space because I used an international shipper.  I'm sure you CAN find the right kind of hangers here... but it was easier for me to just bring my own.  I also really like hangers with the notches on the top to hang camisols.

Sponsored Links