Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: British Airways....What do you think?  (Read 1166 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: British Airways....What do you think?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2005, 09:53:11 PM »
Danielle, if you want direct non-stop (and I'm assuming you do with the kids in tow), DL and BA are your only options out of ATL to LON.  Personally, I'm not a huge DL fan.  BA is normally quite accommodating.  Perhaps you can join their frequent-flyer programme, as it's normally free to join, in case you end up using them again.  Good luck   :D

Unfortunately, BA's freqeunt flyer program is not free anymore.  One has to fly roundtrip full fare economy at the minimum to join the program.

bvamin

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2005, 10:44:43 PM »
I think BA's service is alright. However, their frequent flyer program is basically useless unless you travel first or business class.  If you travel economy, you only earn about 1/10 of a mile for every mile flown, and if you pay with earned miles instead of cash, not all their routes are available. The only good thing is that with the frequent flyer program, you can choose to always have an aisle or window seat.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2005, 02:43:50 AM »
We use their frequent flyer program at the moment and love it. We've received at least 1 free flight each year, and 2 vouchers for a free flight if you book another on e with air miles. We are flying in 4 weeks to England from the US and are using the airmiles as well. We get 1 mile for every pound we spend (we are using their BA American Express card, so maybe that is why it is different) and we get 1.5 miles for every pound we spend on a BA flight. And we never travel first or business class.
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• When I leave England, I'll miss my garden & view
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2005, 04:41:31 AM »
I've never had any problems on BA, and in fact, found them quite good when I had to fly home for my dad's funeral.

I'm scared of flying and when dad passed away, I had to fly out on own because my husband couldn't travel at the same time as me (he followed several days later).  We had to take a shuttle to board (climb up the steps( and when I was sitting there looking at the jumbo jet looming in front of me, I completely broke down.  The flight attendants saw me and through my blubbering, I explained what happened AND that I was afraid of flying.

So they pulled me aside, gave me some water while the flight boarded (I was spilling it I was shaking so much) and they put me in business class.  One of the flight attendants sat with me and held my hand during take off and landing, and they checked on me through the whole flight.  I was embarrassed, but they were very nice and looked after me.

They were really good when it mattered the most.
"Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens." -
Douglas Jerrold

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2005, 04:46:09 AM »
I've never had any problems on BA, and in fact, found them quite good when I had to fly home for my dad's funeral.

I'm scared of flying and when dad passed away, I had to fly out on own because my husband couldn't travel at the same time as me (he followed several days later).  We had to take a shuttle to board (climb up the steps( and when I was sitting there looking at the jumbo jet looming in front of me, I completely broke down.  The flight attendants saw me and through my blubbering, I explained what happened AND that I was afraid of flying.

So they pulled me aside, gave me some water while the flight boarded (I was spilling it I was shaking so much) and they put me in business class.  One of the flight attendants sat with me and held my hand during take off and landing, and they checked on me through the whole flight.  I was embarrassed, but they were very nice and looked after me.

They were really good when it mattered the most.

Wow. That is wonderful customer service.  I glad BA comforted you in a time when you need the extra support.

• When I leave England, I'll miss my garden & view
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2005, 04:53:46 AM »
I really felt embarrassed, but they were so nice.   Looking back, it all made a big difference. 

I'd always recommend them.
"Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens." -
Douglas Jerrold

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2005, 08:41:53 AM »
  BMI are 'quaint' - nice staff - they only recently started flying Transatlantic and still seem excited about it!! 

I am a big BMI fan.  I have flown them several times.  Twice long haul and the service is second to none.  I prefer to fly them over Virgin and becuase they have only started flying transatlantic in the last few years the prices are reasonable. 

I love, love, LOVE flying BMI.  Love the service, the coach class seats & food & wine ain't bad, love how the flight attendant uniforms have a certain 'retro' (golden age of air travel) look with the hats & gloves (starting off the flight).  And the prices can't be beat!

Article in the Observer awhile back about how BMI is jockeying for more terminal space in the London airports (being mostly a north England carrier right now), & meanwhile Virgin & maybe other suitors are interested in acquiring BMI -- which I hope they don't 'cause I'm sure a merger would totally change BMI & not for the better.  Luckily, BMI's head doesn't seem too interested in selling out at this point & it might be a tough merger for a suitor to do (I forget the financial reasons why) -- the stock might be undervalued right now perhaps relative to the airline's debt balance or something...but I think BMI is definitely a sleeping giant (or could be), although I'm not sure it has ambitions to truly rival Virgin or BA.  I hope it keeps its charming & unique character!

Carolyn
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2005, 08:48:41 AM »

Wow Kellie...sorry you were so frightened but glad to hear they took great care of you!!

We always fly BA when going back to the states and I really like them alot! In my opinion the flight attendants have much better attitudes than US attendants. I agree the frequent flyer program isnt very good but then again I had accumulated tons of points on US Air back in the mid-late 90s and trying to us them was almost impossible.

Julie

Sponsored Links