Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I bought myself a retro car  (Read 1470 times)

• London Rollergirl
  • Liked: 1
I bought myself a retro car
« on: April 01, 2005, 09:37:36 PM »
I'm well chuffed today I got myself a Morris Oxford  ;D It's soooo cool as I always wanted a classic or unique car  ;D it's a 1969 and automatic as well

but she needs a name ...any suggestions??
But never fear, gentlemen; castration was really not the point of feminism, and we women are too busy eviscerating one another to take you on.

• Does my bum look big in this?
  • Liked: 0
Re: I bought myself a retro car
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 10:02:57 PM »
Very cool car!!!

Sorry, can't help with the name, though.  Had a hard enough time coming up with names for the kids!  ;D
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 10:07:21 PM »
Looks like an Ethel or an Enid to me. Could be a Beatrice. Very groovy car!! I'm so jealous.

Rosie
All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers. ~François Fénelon

• London Rollergirl
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 10:38:46 PM »
Enid sounding good , hubs suggested camila don't know how much of a "diva" she is yet though thought to give her a very brit name like Mrs Bakewell  ;D
But never fear, gentlemen; castration was really not the point of feminism, and we women are too busy eviscerating one another to take you on.

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 10:43:06 PM »
She looks like Silk to me.  Yeah, Silky.  I've named all my cars. 

That is a cool car.

• Does my bum look big in this?
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 10:48:26 PM »
Ooh, I kind of like Ethel....

How about Mabel?
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 10:54:01 PM »
Sorry, I'm not much good at coming up with names, but as a fan of older cars myself, let me say congratulations on your purchase!  

The Morris Oxford shared the same basic body style and mechanics as the Austin Cambridge; they just differed a little in trim and internal layout (like some Dodge/Chrysler models in the U.S., for example).

As well as having the benefit of driving an old car which has some charm and personality, you also have the advantage of it being exempt from paying road tax.  That £170 per year is better  in your pocket than the Chancellor's, right?    ;)
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

• London Rollergirl
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 11:04:06 PM »
yep found the cambrigde-oxford club

http://www.co-oc.org/Ox%20VI.html

I believe mine is a series V saloon but thought it would suit for Health Visiting and also doing my Children's Party Entertaining classy yet slightly quirky  ;)

That's true about no tax but don't know if this is true but also I get cheaper car insurance my FIL has a morris and his yearly insurance spends is £72  :o

« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 11:08:58 PM by Alicia »

• Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 11:14:36 PM »
Very cool car! Mrs Bakewell sounds like a good name to me - or what about Mrs Beeton?

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 11:32:49 PM »
That's true about no tax but don't know if this is true but also I get cheaper car insurance my FIL has a morris and his yearly insurance spends is £72
Yep, you'll be able to get it on a classic-car policy, although the exact rates depend very much upon your location, age, driving record, etc. as well as the type of cover. 

One set of insurance costs really sticks in my mind from about 12 or 13 years ago.  I had a '72 Pontiac at the time, and had gotten several quotes in the £300 to £400 range.   The highest was an extortionate £850 (I told them I only wanted a policy, not shares in the company!).    Got cover in the end for just under £110.   It really pays to shop around.

From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

• London Rollergirl
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 11:44:39 PM »
Uhm ..Mrs Ethel Beeton ...sound kitschy.

Oh cheers Paul I've been qouted from £800+ and the lowest has been £340 for both so I am definately going to keep hunting although I think it may be the lowest I'll get as I don't have much history on UK roads.

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2005, 07:00:01 AM »
I think she does need an old lady's name (not that being born in 1969 makes you old, obviously!)... Enid is very good.   If you're still undecided, how about Mavis, Gladys, or Agnes (or the Glasgow version of Agnes:  Senga) ?

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2005, 08:08:29 AM »
Very cool choice of car!
I Like Ethol (because of the play on the name of the gas) but also the idea of a Mrs. ____ _______. Definitely an older woman, a widow because her husband Edsel succumbed years ago.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2005, 08:24:59 AM »
With the nursing connection,why not Florence,or Flo for short?.

Dave
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.
Ernest Benn

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2005, 05:08:54 PM »
I like Gladys.  She's a grandmotherly type now, but when she was younger she was a bit of a naughty girl!  ;)

Sponsored Links