Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Name Change in US passport  (Read 747 times)

• Liked: 0
Name Change in US passport
« on: April 02, 2005, 11:31:14 AM »
Just as an  FYI in case anyone is interested:   I mailed my passport to the American passport services section of the US Embassy.  I sent it special delivery with a return addressed special delivery envelope enclosed (less than £8 for both) and the change of name form printed off the website.  They returned my passport in exactly one week (took a bit longer due to the Easter holiday) with little red stars next to my photo and a red stamp that said "see page 23).  On page 23 there was a stamp stating the name had been officially changed and an embossed US Embassy stamp covering it.  The name change was free.  I also sent along an application for my social security card to be changed.  It was important to me to change it as my passport was in my previous husbands name and I wanted to be able to travel on my current name.  It was very quick and easy to do- just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone else wants to change the name in their passport and are unsure how to do it.

• Unavailable for Comment.
Re: Name Change in US passport
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 12:18:12 PM »
Mine took 5 days. Sent it on Monday, they recieved it on Tuesday, worked on it on Wednesday, sent it back on Thursday and I recieved it on Friday. I was very impressed.

The only problem I have now is you have to tell security and check-in about the change every single time. They don't see the little "see page 23" stamp and say something snotty like "I'm sorry, we don't have a ticket for this passport". You bloody well do, mate. Check page 23.  :)
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 01:07:23 PM »
I'm flying back to the US for the first time on April 14, so it will be interesting to see if anything is said to me regarding the name change, etc.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 04:57:35 PM »
It's interesting - the person who checks the passports & tickets whilst in line to check in always sees the sticker and goes to the back of the passport, no problem.  But the person who actually does the checking in doesn't seem to have the same sight ability, because without fail I get the same thing Ashley does - "We don't seem to have a reservation for you."

Do they not train the line people and the counter people in the same manner?  ::)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• York Interweb
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 10:13:27 PM »
After I get married, I am planning to get my FLR in my maiden name, and then change the name in my passport after I'm married. (I don't want to risk having my fiance visa expire while I'm waiting for the American Embassy to change the name on my passport.)

Once I get the name change amendment on the US passport, do I have to do anything about the fact that my FLR stamp will be in my maiden name? I've contacted the Home Office, but they seem to be confused, because apparently when a British citizen amends her passport to show her married name, she gets a brand new passport, (but it's called an amended passport because the expiration date is the same). So the Home Office keeps telling me about transfering my visa from one passport to another. I have no intention of getting a new US passport; the one I have doesn't expire for almost 9 years.

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2005, 11:06:57 AM »
My FLR is in my previous name and I had my passport amended to my new name.  I didn't think there would be any sort of problem with it because I have my marriage license to back up the name change (which is how I got the FLR to begin with). 

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005, 11:08:45 AM »
Yep, most FLRs are issued in the maiden name because most women get their spousal visa before changing their name in their passports. 

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2005, 01:12:19 PM »
When I got my FLR, it was simply a black rubber stamp that didn't have my name on it - but the ILR I just got (which is the "new" full page sticker) is in my married name, if that helps at all?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• York Interweb
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2005, 03:29:35 PM »
When I got my FLR, it was simply a black rubber stamp that didn't have my name on it - but the ILR I just got (which is the "new" full page sticker) is in my married name, if that helps at all?

Interesting. What does the FLR say? My fiance visa has my name and my fiance's name and his date of birth, and my photo.

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 09:52:43 AM »
What is the exact address for the US Embassy Dept?

Thanks

• York Interweb
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 03:09:16 PM »
Do you mean the one in London? Here is their website. Hope that helps.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 05:23:01 PM »
What does the FLR say?

It just says "Residence Permit" at the top, the date it is valid until and the date and place it was issued and then it says "Limited Leave to Reman" and then again "Limited Leave to remain in the UK. No recourse to public funds". and it also has my birthdate, that I am female, and that I am from the US as well as my (awful) photo.  It is a large colored sticker that looks very similar to the fiance visa.

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2005, 05:25:41 PM »
What is the exact address for the US Embassy Dept?

Passport-by-Mail Service
American Citizen Services
U.S. Embassy
5 Upper Grosvenor Street
London
W1A 2LQ

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab