Topic: Enchantment  (Read 2542 times)

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
  • Liked: 0
Enchantment
« on: July 19, 2003, 04:02:24 PM »
Well I figured the chances of getting us all in the chatroom at the same time for this were quite small, so why not post here what you thought of the book?

:)

And who shall be the next book picker??

wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

• Unavailable for Comment.
Re: Enchantment
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2003, 05:54:52 PM »

And who shall be the next book picker??

Who's up next? You decide. (okay, I watch too much tv.)

I though the book was well written. I loved that it was like a fairy tale for a modern time. The whole time crossing thing was nice. It was cute. I felt the characters relationships went too fast. One moment she doesn't like him, the next she does. I mean, the first half of the book she's wishing he'd die then all of a sudden she's in bed with him. Other than that, I loved the story, I thought the characters were well written.

My favourite part was when he entered her world for the first time and found himself nekkid. Good stuff.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2003, 10:23:42 PM »
Well just to keep the continuity we should make it you Ashley who chooses the next book!! :P  Especially as you called Wench for the first one! So I call ASHLEY to do the next choosing of the next book ;)

And let me appologise for missing out on actually reading it :(

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Wenchstead
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2003, 12:25:22 AM »
Lol remind me next time I see you and I'll lend it to ya Nefandous.  ;D

Then you can come back here and post what you thought!
wench

And I second the nomination for Ashley!   [smiley=devilish.gif]

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2003, 01:44:34 AM »
I'd read this before but I found it enjoyable this time around too. This time I have to say I kept noticing the references they were making to how out of place each of them felt in the other's worlds... seemed to hit a bit closer to home this time. :)

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2003, 05:32:59 AM »
I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would!

I hate to say it, but the first few pages turned me so far off..it took me several more chapters to warm up to it.  I don't know why..something about the beginning just irked me.

I especially liked Ivan's mother, what a cool lady!  And I found the stuff about protections and witchcraft to be very interesting.  I didn't actually really warm up to the book until they arrived back in America, because I wasn't all that crazy about Katerina's kingdom...although I like the end and the problems they faced, that sooner or later the children would have to choose a place.

I also thought it interesting the part where Katerina wonders if clerics are actually subject to her rule or not, as that's exactly the problem that led to the murder of St. Thomas Beckett.  (Beckett claimed he was subject only to God, whereas Henry said Thomas was subject to him as well, in a nutshell.)

Wench, have you ever read Neil Gaiman's American Gods?  He also deals with the "where do Gods go when there are none left to believe in them" thought.  I also wonder if you've read any Rosalind Miles (a good question for all you pagans out there actually!)

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2003, 07:20:08 PM »
My thoughts on the book are still out...  I believe the story line will be a good one and I love fantasy love stories...  but I have been having the hardest time getting the grove for the book...  I have not had one evening where I lost sleep because I could not put the book down... which happens a lot with any book that catches me...

SAF promises me it gets better...  and I am waiting for the good parts to come to keep me moving...  I am very slow at reading this one so far...  not even half through... He has only been to her place one night so far... (she hates him) At this time I just wish to scream for someone to give the poor man some clothes...LOL...

BUT, I will finish...  that is a promise...  I like the concept of interchanging time links though...  I am writing something on my own that works with time travel elements...  
« Last Edit: July 21, 2003, 07:22:12 PM by mfredericka »
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2003, 12:20:06 AM »
Ok did you all decide what you thought of the book?  And is it worth me reading it? lol :P

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Wenchstead
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2003, 01:07:18 AM »
Lol I'd say it's worth reading nefandous.  :)
wench

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2003, 11:27:39 PM »
Lol I'd say it's worth reading nefandous.  :)
wench

ok......................can I borrow it then? [smiley=charming.gif]

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Wenchstead
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2003, 12:00:44 AM »
lol yes you can.  just got to arrange a meetup. ;)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab