Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Fed. Aid for US Students in UK Uni's  (Read 1834 times)

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
  • Liked: 1
Fed. Aid for US Students in UK Uni's
« on: July 21, 2003, 09:45:50 PM »
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone who has been in a similar situation can help me.

I got accepeted into the University of Gloucestershire starting this Autumn 2003. My tuition for the year is close to $11,000 for school alone.

I read on either the British Consulate or BritainUSA website that American college students can receive US Fedaral Aid for studying overseas. I have checked out the official Fed. Aid website and there wasn't any info on it except for int'l students coming to study here in the US.

How did you (as an American college student) pay for your tuition in your Britain Uni?

I will be contacting my schools financial office and also call the Fed. Aid 800# for further info; just curious on your experiences. Any advice would be very helpful!

Thanks!  :-*
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
  • Liked: 0
Re: Fed. Aid for US Students in UK Uni's
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 06:34:08 PM »
I've no idea about this.  :O  Please post what you find out!  :)

::wishes you luck::
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 08:33:06 PM »
Damn. University of Gloucestershire does not have any codes for the US Federal Aid- so I can not receive any financial support from the US Gov't.  :'(

Heading out to banks to look for loans... Not too bad of a thing- I have never owned a credit card, I don't have any credit history so this will help me establish some. (always trying to look on the bright side if things.....)

:-*

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2003, 12:25:22 AM »
Ugh. I've been going through this exact same thing. I contacted FAFSA about aid for students going abroad (im applying for entry to a UK university for the fall of 2004) and they basically said you get zero money for it. You cannot get any government grants if you are going abroad unless you are doing a study abroad program through a university un the US. Basically you're down to loans. You can get Stafford loans through the FAFSA, but not very much money when you convert it to pounds.

I don't have a co-signer for a loan, but i do have good credit, so i'm currently exploring banks trying to find out that might give me a loan.

Good luck!

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2003, 02:22:55 AM »
I've been going through this very thing.  I submitted my FASFA this spring and then requested the long form to be sent to me, then I mailed that to my university and they said i would be elegible for stafford loans (goldsmiths college).  so i was approved for the full amount which covers tuition and a bit left over for living expenses.  this is for grad school, but i understand that as long as your school recognizes us stafford loans, you should be golden.

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2003, 02:59:20 AM »
Unfortunatly, my Uni does not recognize ANY federal aid from the US Gov't. I have to take out a private loan so right now I am going thru Sallie Mae to see what they can do for me.

• Whats the fleetwood?
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2003, 03:27:40 AM »
Hi  :) I recently went thru this deal when I applied for my uni. It is true that the U.S. will not give you any money to go overseas, unfortunately. I even tried certain scholarships that did not have restrictions on where the uni was, but no luck. However, don't give up. If you really want it, you can take out student loans. I have a private student loan where you can take out as much as you need; theres also a stafford loan i get (first year you get about $6000 if you support yourself,  a little under $3000 if you have your rents helping you). You can also have your rents if you are still young take out a plus student loan. That they can take out basically whatever you need to pay for expenses. There are certain scholarships ive heard of that you can get from the British Counsel after you're already in uni and studying, but I haven't gotten that far yet.
All the best

• London's Calling
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2004, 09:05:14 PM »
you may find some helpful info at www.studentmarket.com.
might not be anything new, but they DO have some info on private loans/alternative loans that have better rates than credit cards. I'm thinking about some post-graduate school.just started research. did you apply for schools first, or loans ?

• this is dedicated to the one i love
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2004, 09:39:00 PM »
My Uni for my MA also did not have a code to get a fed. student loan, although another American in my program said that she got a stafford loan.  don't know how because they told me i couldn't.  >:(
i took out a student loan through a private bank - Key Bank - for $25,000.  I don't think its the greatest, but it isinterest free until the payments start, six months after you finish the program.  unfortunatly, i don't think you can defer if you need some extra time after the six months, though i havn't looked into it.
i may look into refinancing, but ive got too much on my plate with moving back to the UK.

good luck!!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab