Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What do you use your car for?  (Read 2045 times)

• Liked: 1
Re: What do you use your car for?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2005, 05:54:22 PM »
i live in marylebone

we use our car for our biggest cost saver....COSTOCO!!!!!!

Also for weekend trips which we do alot.  I love this beautiful country

During the week it gets used once to go to the golf range.  ;)

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2005, 05:58:14 PM »
We didn't have a car when we lived in Bromley (just outside London) because we had buses and trains and a short walk to the high street with all its shops and a Waitrose. We also used to get our shopping delivered in a pinch. We then moved to the public transportation wasteland of rural Hampshire and absolutely love it here but would be lost without our car! I'd imagine it would be easier to have the get out and go of a car, but check out your surroundings first- see where the local shops are, etc. Parking *can* be an absolute nightmare and very expensive.  I totally agree about the argument that an SUV isn't necessary or very cost effective. Petrol is so very expensive!

In the end we got a 15 year old car to tie us over for a few years until we have a family- then we'll get something a bit newer and more reliable!

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2005, 05:59:08 PM »
I wouldnt waste the money bringing over a SUV. I had a really nice, new Toyota 4 Runner that I had to give up. I cant imagine the cost of filling that thing up here not to mention where to park it. I havent read this entire thread but has anyone brought up the very narrow parking spaces? My poor French car is only a few months old and has dings all over the side already.

Anyway, I use the car for everything I used it for in the USA. Coventry does have public transportation but I havent ever used it. With four kids its best to have a car for school runs, shopping, travelling, etc.

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2005, 09:20:59 AM »

I am not into SUV bashing but I llove the fact that the UK is not overrun with them! We went back to the states last month and driving on the beltway was even worse than I remember. SUV's in front, next to and behind you (we had a rental car). It was unnerving to say the least. 

I do believe that road rage was born when the roads began to overflow SUV's and the Supersized personal trucks.....it gave people more confidence.....and unfortunately it brought out the "bully" in some.   

As for me, I don't drive over here.....I live close enough to the Towne Centre and work to walk. I love it....I don't miss the stress of sitting in traffic at all...... ;)

Julie

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2005, 09:28:33 AM »
As for me, I don't drive over here.....I live close enough to the Towne Centre and work to walk. I love it....I don't miss the stress of sitting in traffic at all...... ;)

Julie

Tell me about it!  I take the bus into work and love it that I get time to read a book, the Metro, or listen to music on the ride in, instead of stressing in traffic.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2005, 04:42:26 PM »
Wow, there certainly appear to be many downsides to owning an American SUV in UK.  We appreciate all the comments and tips.  BTW, if you know anyone who's in the market for a 2004 Mercedes ML500 or a 2001 BMW 325i, would appreciate it greatly if you could send them my way.

Lin
1-201-247-2576

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2005, 05:31:18 PM »
Will do.  You might like to post in "classified"s too ...
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2005, 09:14:34 AM »
Um, Lin, this is pretty much a public forum and I'm not sure how safe it is to publish your phone number.  ANYONE could get it from here.   :-\\\\
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2005, 10:50:48 AM »
Um, Lin, this is pretty much a public forum and I'm not sure how safe it is to publish your phone number.  ANYONE could get it from here.   :-\\\\

Thanks for your concern, Peedal.  This is a bit "off topic" ... but in the UK (at least) most people's phone numbers are still listed in the telephone directory and it can be accessed on line very easily.   A sizeable minority choose to have their numbers "ex-directory", don't give them out, and are careful about when they post them.

I did wonder about the posting of the number here; I took it that Lin posted it since it's the logical way for anyone to get in touch to buy the car, and if they're moving shortly it would only be a way of contacting them in the short term anyway.
-- Graham

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2005, 10:59:51 AM »
Yeah, but to get someone's phone number from the phone book, you have to know their full name and where they live.  You couldn't get it from looking up their forum name!

Too many freaks in the world for me to post my phone number on a public forum, is all I'm saying.  ANYONE - I mean ANYONE - from anywhere could have her number by now...
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2005, 02:05:48 PM »
Very interesting discussion of phone numbers ... but heading somewhat off topic.  I've "been there" many times and have my number (and my name, and my postal address too) very visible on the net ... that's a personal and business decision and it's up to others if they take the same or a different view.   I don't have an "ex" stalking me (as some do) or other circumastances where it would be a problem.  I've nothing to hide.

Should I (as moderator) have taken the phone number off?  Should I have dropped a note to the poster, saying "hey".  Perhaps I did  the latter  ;) ... to do the former would have meant that I didn't trust their decision to post it and was acting as a cross between a nanny and a censor.  I've been known to do that, but I'll only do it in extreme cases.

Suggestion - if you would like to talk about this further, shall we separate it from this thread and go either to PMs or to somewhere like the assistance board or pettifog and treat it as a general topic
-- Graham

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2005, 11:07:40 PM »
NewYork, just to advise, the average cost of petrol in Hampstead must be at least 85p/litre and with the exchange rate hovering around $1.85/pound, a gallon of petrol would cost about $6.

I don't know what mileage your SUV gets but even if it achieves 20 MPG and you drive 10,000 miles per year you will pay $3000-4000 in petrol (depending on city, highway mileage) alone over that year.  Certainly not a small sum of money just to keep it moving!

Matt
And the world first spoke to me in Sensurround

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2005, 11:25:44 AM »
I've lived in North London for four years now, and we don't have a car and get along just fine.  I'm not saying there haven't been times when I've longed for one, but I really don't think a car is necessary in London....certainly not in Hampstead.

With parking so precious in this cramped city, you would usually end up walking just as far anyway had you taken public transport.

Personally, I don't see the adventure in trying to recreate you exact American life once you come to the UK.  Part of the experience of living in London is learning to use and having to depend on public transport!

No way would I bring over a car, let alone an SUV.  Get something when you get here once you look into your surroundings and see if its even necessary. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab