Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Points on UK Licence  (Read 1707 times)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: Points on UK Licence
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2005, 02:45:00 PM »
Okay here's another correlation:

I owe Person X £2000.  I don't have £2000 to pay them right now.  Then I win the lottery and get £2000.  I still owe Person X and therefore pay Person X the £2000.

Just because I didn't have the means to honour the debt at the time, doesn't mean I'm exempt from honouring it at some point in the future when I AM able.

You didn't have a UK licence at the time.  The penalty would have included points against your licence.  You now have a licence, hence you now have points against it.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2005, 02:47:15 PM »
I see where you are coming from, Britwife.  Hadn't thought of it that way when I first read about meggles' plight, but your explanation makes perfect sense.

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2005, 02:50:16 PM »
Thanks Britwife, for putting things in perspective!  8)

Meggles, the day you were found guilty, you had a UK licence. But on top of that, why should you be punished less severely than a British driver for the same offence?

take-the-points take-the-points take-the-points take-the-points take-the-points  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

• Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2005, 02:51:18 PM »
Peedel- I agree with your point.

When I initially called the Gwent Safetly Camera Unit I was told that I would be recieving a higher fine b/c points could not be assessed onto my licence.  

I know it's only £20 more, but I shouldn't have to pay extra AND get the points.
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2005, 02:54:09 PM »
So ask for the £20 to be refunded. You now have a UK licence so the DVLA is bound by law to endorse it with the points.

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2005, 02:54:26 PM »
Senor Nibbles (sorry I couldn't put the squiggly thing over the e in senor)

If the authorities had issued the fine promptly (I would argue 13 months is not prompt), I would have paid it promptly.  This most likely would have been before I had been issued with a UK licence.

Should I be penalized for the courts delay in processing and issuing the fine?

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2005, 02:55:37 PM »
If I want the £20 back, I'm assuming I have to go back to the court and argue with them.  Since the court, not the DVLA issued the actual fine.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2005, 02:57:11 PM »
Look at it this way: if you run over and kill someone while on your US licence, should your new UK licence be free of endorsement? or should it be taken away so you can't run over anyone else?  Same principle.

Let's not pretend they're all that interested in safety here. According to some research, excessive speed is only responsible for 4.3-7% of all automobile accidents. It's about money. The more points they can give (in any way, whether it makes sense or not), the more chance there is for people to lose their license and have to reapply and pay them more £££. Yes, I know I'm cynical, but there it is. Speed cameras, fines, points -- it's all about £££.

Poor meggles! Look what you've unleashed!

Anyway, the way I see it, you can either keep going with your letter-writing campaign. I don't think any of us here knows the exact letter of the law on this subject, and you may or may not have a valid argument that will persuade them to drop your points. But, if you're getting fed up with it, as I imagine you are, you can always give in to "the man" and accept the points.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2005, 02:59:29 PM »
It just so happens that my best friend here in the UK is a driving instructor.  I've asked her about this and she doesn't know (if she comes back with some insight, I'll let you all know) (also if anyone's looking for a great driving instructor in the peterborough/northampton area- let me know)

Anywho- her only suggestion was that I try the CBA (citizen's advice bureau).  I realize this is an off topic... but has anyone had experience with this organiziation?  Do you think they might be able to help?

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2005, 03:03:39 PM »
Don't feel singled out here.  I know that kids who get caught 'joy-riding' get charged with driving without a license and get points put on their future licence.  And sometimes get disqualified from having a licence before they even have one/are able to get one.

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2005, 03:06:09 PM »
Meggles, here's a squiggly thing for you to cut out and keep: ñ  :)

Let's not pretend they're all that interested in safety here...<snip> ...Speed cameras, fines, points -- it's all about £££.

The British Government is actually very interested in road safety, and there's undisputed evidence that speed kills.  I have no problem with the Government taking money from people who break the law.

The easy-peasy way for someone to avoid paying speeding fines/points on your licence? Don't speed.

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2005, 03:06:36 PM »
Anywho- her only suggestion was that I try the CBA (citizen's advice bureau).  I realize this is an off topic... but has anyone had experience with this organiziation?  Do you think they might be able to help?

They're very helpful, but they might consider that it was a bit of a waste of their time fighting over 20 quid;  they're stapped for resources and would probably feel better used if advising a mother as to how she should deal with a violent partner, or a house renter about how to get the locks fixed.

Looking back through the thread as a whole ... there are just times that it's far better to take a deep breath, say "c'est la vie" and get on in spite of what you feel are injustices. I think perhaps that advise applies here ...
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2005, 03:12:13 PM »
Recently, my hubby got a retro fee from his car insurance company, because three years ago, he was caught speeding, and fined,, but didn't report it to the insurance company. He wasn't too happy about it cos it was 3 years ago.  The matter came up, when we were insuring my car. Because I am still a learner, he has to be the main name on my car.  So, check the policy of your insurance, and if they require you report any offences,, be warned.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2005, 03:44:37 PM »
The British Government is actually very interested in road safety, and there's undisputed evidence that speed kills.

I don't want to get into an argument over this since neither of us is going to convince the other one. I've read the government's evidence that speed kills. However, since the government is the body that benefits from fining drivers for speeding, I'm always going to take their "evidence" with a grain of salt. I've always been told to question authority, and I always will. Independent researchers have evidence that speed is not responsible for more than 7% of road accidents.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2005, 04:04:09 PM »
I've always been told to question authority, and I always will. Independent researchers have evidence that speed is not responsible for more than 7% of road accidents.

Good practice to question things, just as you should question all "independent" research with the same vigour. Very sensible :)

But the financial and social cost of injury and death from Road Traffic Accidents (RTAs) is far higher than the financial gain from speeding fines. The Government has a vested political and moral interest in reducing the number of RTAs, and they will employ a variety of methods to achieve that goal.

The low speed limit in residential areas is an example. A driver speeding in a residential area is much, much more likely to kill a child than someone obeying the speed limit. It's a physics thing; the harder you hit someone, the more damage you cause.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 04:07:11 PM by Señor Nibbles »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab