Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cover letters, objectives, and love (again)  (Read 688 times)

• Liked: 0
Cover letters, objectives, and love (again)
« on: April 06, 2005, 03:15:13 PM »
Hello everyone,

Thanks to a little bit of encouragement and a lot of confidence and enthusiasm, I'm ready to start writing some nice little cover letters and put the finishing touches on my resume.  Here's the question: I've been taught that cover letters and resume objectives should be, in a nutshell, all about selling yourself to the desired company.  And yes, I can do that.  But, along with that, do I mention anything about my true reasons for seeking a job in the UK?  That I'm (an American) madly in love with the most amazing (British) man I've ever met and I want to move to England to be with him?  Or do I just leave the romance out of it and stick with the "seeking challenging and rewarding position with X business" idea?

Just to clarify, I'm approaching this job search by trying to find an American company with jobs in England.  Despite some emails from "ukimmigration.com" type websites I am not entirely convinced that I am eligible for the HMSP visa and since we don't want to go the fiance (jobless!?) route I am trying to work around the woes of job-hunting from this angle.

Thank you for any advice you have to offer!

Linnea

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: Cover letters, objectives, and love (again)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 03:51:23 PM »
But, along with that, do I mention anything about my true reasons for seeking a job in the UK?  That I'm (an American) madly in love with the most amazing (British) man I've ever met and I want to move to England to be with him?  Or do I just leave the romance out of it and stick with the "seeking challenging and rewarding position with X business" idea?

Hi, Linnea. If I were you, I'd leave out the love part. Just from the pov of someone who's spent hours weeding through resumes and cover letters, I might find that a bit worrisome. I might think, "Oh, dear. What if she has a big fight with the amazing British man and dumps him and decides to leave the country?!" They don't need to know why you're there -- just that you are and that you're perfect for the job.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 10:11:56 PM »
Wonderful, thank you.

I'm guessing you would recommend the same approach for a job interview as well?

• Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 08:19:14 AM »
The fiancee' route doesn't bar you from working -- you just can't work until you're married and have your FLR/LLR, which you could obtain within days of entering the UK on a fiancee' visa.

I wouldn't mention anything personal in an interview.  If they ask why you want to move here, make it about the position -- it's too good an opportunity to pass up, etc.....I personally would be put off if someone gave their love life as a reason for wanting a job.

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 08:32:56 AM »

I agree about the cover letter - keep it all about how you're the very best candidate for the job. Personal information in a cover letter is a bit of a no no.

As for interview - when I'm asked "why are you in the UK" I relpy that my husband is British. It's really all they need  and want to know.

Good luck!
I know I'm late - where's the booze?

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 03:26:39 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I guess I'm too much of a romantic sap for my own good...

Arrgh!  The stress of it all!  Just told the military that I'm leaving them unless they can send me to the UK and of course they're none too pleased with me, seeing as how they were all set to send me elsewhere.  Sigh. 

Since this is the jobs section of the forums, I'm curious of any of you have had experience with getting employment in the UK through a US company (other than the military guys).  I'm having a heck of a time finding American corporations hiring for UK positions (yeah, again, other than the military) - any helpful hints?  Maybe I'm just searching incorrectly. 

Anyway, sorry to go off thread topic with rants and pleas for work!  Thank you again for the help.

Linnea

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab