Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: In person Application @ NYC Consulate--what time?  (Read 1637 times)

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
  • Liked: 0
In person Application @ NYC Consulate--what time?
« on: July 28, 2003, 09:14:09 PM »
Hi!
Well, my UK husband and I filled out the online "Fastrack" Spouse visa application on https://www.britainusa.com/ukvisas/.  The good news is that after one system error from their end which lost our supposedly SAVED (though incomplete) application, we finally managed to get through the entire process (including credit card payment) and completed the application.  Hopefully, as others have noted, this will save us some time when we finish the process in person this week in NYC!  

For those of you who have gone through the British Consulate in NYC:  What time is the earliest you can get there?  

Re: In person Application @ NYC Consulate--what ti
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 12:29:20 AM »
Hiya Ginger!
I just went through the Visa process at the British Consulate in NYC! I got there at 6:30am and ended up standing in a line outside the building until they let us go inside and form a line inside the building at 8am. You go upstairs to the offices after the security check and sign in where you will wait until the windows open at 9am. If they tell you that your Visa will take 1 hour to process, don't believe them! The nice guy behind the window (Solomon- we're on a first name basis now! Which reminds me, I still need to write that letter of appreciation to his boss! He was such a calming force in that chaotic place!) told me that it always takes longer for the Spousal Visa's to get approved and processed, so don't panic.   :D

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2003, 01:25:05 PM »
Oh my gosh - I can attest that Solomon is the nicest guy!!  He practically held my hand (figuratively) the week we were in NY trying to get our Visas after having been deported last year.  (Long story for those of you who are new...)

I think we showed up sometime between 7.30 and 8 am.  I know we were pretty much able to just go straight into the building and stand in the inside line.

Jennydee - meant to respond elsewhere - but PM me if you're still interested in meeting up sometime.  I come into Victoria or Charing Cross from my rail station.   :)

Good luck Ginger - not that you'll need it!!!   ;D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2003, 04:41:46 PM »
link=board=visas;num=1059412449;start=0#1 date=07/28/03 at 21:29:20] If they tell you that your Visa will take 1 hour to process, don't believe them! The nice guy behind the window (Solomon- we're on a first name basis now! Which reminds me, I still need to write that letter of appreciation to his boss! He was such a calming force in that chaotic place!) told me that it always takes longer for the Spousal Visa's to get approved and processed, so don't panic.   :D[/quote]

Ummm, how much longer Jenny? hours? days?

Has anyone else done the Fastrack application for spousal visa?  is it worth it and how much sooner before you go can you do the fastrack?
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2003, 04:56:15 PM »
I will let you all know when I'm back from NYC if the online application was worth it.  So far, the biggest perk was being able to pay with a credit card...  If we get to bypass any lines at the Consulate, I'll be overjoyed!  I recall reading somewhere that there was a special counter for Fastrack applications.  

You can take up to 21 days to complete the application online (i.e., if you don't have all the information, you can save an incomplete one and return to it).  Given my bad experience with their system (it crashed and couldn't find my saved application), I'd sit down only when you have all the information (basically everything on the IM2A and IM2B--though they did ask for specifics about certain questions:  e.g., they asked for the exact dates and length of previous trips to the UK!).   Also, if you are of the "save as you go" school, due to a quirk in their system, the screen PRIOR to when you hit 'save' does NOT get saved.  So choose an easy screen to lose.  

Once complete, they save your application for 365 days, during which you can send it in by mail (print out and sign, attach all you support material) or submit in person, which is what I'll be doing later this week!
More when I get back.
Ginger
« Last Edit: July 29, 2003, 04:58:43 PM by Ginger »

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2003, 05:48:16 PM »
Cool, Thank You Ginger
depths of our soul!

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2003, 10:20:43 PM »
Hiya Shel!
Just wanted to clarify that while the Consulate gives a disclaimer that not all visas are issued same day, as long as you've given them everything they've listed on their website (or as in my case, I gave them MORE hehe), your passport should be ready for pick up the same day you apply. I'm sure people have different experiences, but they didn't require an interview with me & mine was finally ready at about 11:45am that morning. I was at the window with my application at 9:05am! That's not too bad, huh?  :D

Just to add my 2p worth as far as the whole fast-track application process goes, I can see it would be preferrable regarding the waiting time, etc...but it didn't really speed up the time incredibly. If you're going to apply in person regardless, you still need to give them all of your additional info! I have to admit I worried and fretted *so* much over the whole process (Driving myself and my husband CRAZY), I wanted to be in total control of the situation. That, in a nutshell, is why I chose to do the general walk-in application rather than the fast track!

Ok- no more rambling from me hehe
Jen  ;D

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2003, 05:27:13 PM »
Hiya Jenny, I think like you do.  I'm frantic about the whole process.  I want to be sure down to the most minute detail that I have it covered.  Getting crazy just thinking about it.  But its a really important thing as well.  And cause its happening right around the wedding (april 04) that just adds to the drama doesn't it.  LOL

I've got plenty of time to get it all straight.  Chris and I are getting most of the stuff ready when he comes here for blood test and license applyingin late March.  Then whatever is left (if anything!) to get he'll bring it when he gets here for the wedding.  That way, if anything is forgotten we still have another chance for him to bring it in April.

Arggghhh the pressure!  lol

Karen
« Last Edit: July 30, 2003, 05:28:50 PM by Kizmet122800 »
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2003, 08:30:50 PM »
We're back from NYC, with my FLR in hand!

Thanks to all of you who posted information about your experiences.  All very helpful and I'm happy now to provide my story to the "database".

In way of context, my husband and I applied for a Spouse Visa.  He's a Brit, I'm American.  We got married a month ago here in the US.  I had spent a good amount of time in the UK over the past year, but never overstayed.  Neither of us have been married before and neither has kids.  We're both in our 30s.

Please note that I realize that each case is different, and that what we experienced might be different from other folks' experiences.  Also, little things like the day of week and time of month might affect Consular acitivities.  With that caveat in mind, here's what happened to us:

We showed up at the NYC Consulate at 8am on Thursday (the last day for the old forms...).  We lined up in the lobby behind about 6 others.  At 8:15, we were let up into the consulate after passing through security.  The security guards told us the Consulate would not open until 9:00am.  

At 8:30, one visa application window was opened and everyone lined up (strangely, we all fell into place as we had been downstairs but that seemed to be purely by chance).  My husband and I had completed a Spouse visa application online.  The "Fastrack" window was not yet open, so I lined up in front of that window, and he lined up with the other folks.  Figured that might expedite things a tad.   At 8:40 they opened a second window and also started alternating fastrack applicants and "regular" applicants.  That seemed fair enough.  At 8:50, the fastrack window opened.  I ended up getting to the window a half a second before my husband, so the fastrack really didn't seem to save us time.  

Once at the window (at about 9:00), we handed in the signed printout of our application, our passports and my passport photos.  I had my super fat folder of evidence in hand but decided to wait for the guy to ask us for stuff rather than giving him everything.  He had a check list of things he asked for.  This included:

1.  Marriage certificate.
2.  My husband's letter from his employer stating salary etc.
3.  Proof of accomodation (my husband's mortgage paper).
4.  Bank statements (mine and my husband's).

We had made copies of everything, which he seemed to appreciate and everything we gave him was met with approval (e.g., "very good", "excellent").  The only thing he asked us was whether either of us had been married before.  The answer was no.  Anyhow, 5 minutes after approaching the counter we were done.  He told us to come back an hour (!!!) later for my visa.  

We came back at 10:20 and my visa was ready.  All in all, everyone at the Consulate was very pleasant.  In fact, the guy who gave me my passport with the visa was quite jovial!  

As others have commented in the past, we too brought WAY too much paperwork (photo album, letter from my husband's sister, emails, phone records, trip records, birthday cards etc.), but then again, I'd rather have more then I need than not enough.

So was the Fastrack application worth it?  Given the fact that we showed up early, AND they opened 2 regular windows early AND they didn't open the Fastrack window until 8:50, we really didn't save that much time.  Clearly, I have no way of knowing if they ALWAYS open windows early AND which ones they open early.  

HOWEVER when we picked our visa up, the regular line for visas had at least 20 people and the fastrack only about 5 long.  So if you wandered in to the consulate once all the windows were open, you would get through the fastrack line quicker.  Probably...  

I did like having a nice typed up form, and I can only imagine it made it easier for the guy to quickly go through our information.  Made me feel more organized too, but that's a personal thing.  The only valid reason I can see for NOT going the fastrack route is if you don't want to pay the visa fee upfront.  

Hope this information is helpful.
Best of luck to everyone with their applications.
Ginger

(Key words:  Spouse Visa, NYC British Consulate, Fastrack, New York)

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2003, 03:16:30 PM »
Thank you Ginger...

One very important question though...  

Last day for Old Forms?  what forms are new and it there a problem having to do new forms?
depths of our soul!

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2003, 05:32:19 PM »
As Squirrel noted in another thread, the IM2A and IM2B are being replaced with one new form, the VAF2. It's to be used for any new applications 1st of August.   You can find the new form for Spouse Visas @ http://www.britainusa.com/visas/guidance/Settlement_Spouse.asp

The form seems fairly similar, if a tad more detailed on the history of the relationship
Ginger
« Last Edit: August 03, 2003, 05:37:11 PM by Ginger »

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2003, 06:28:13 PM »
OMG, I just looked at new forms....  it is 16 pages long and completely ludicrous with the questions...  I have to have all dates of past weddings and divorces for us both...  name all of my family and where they live...  

Gawd...  if LDDS is not bad enough...these new forms are going to be taxing my total stress level...
depths of our soul!

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2003, 11:07:04 PM »
Congrats Ginger!!!  Big hugs to you!!!

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2003, 11:08:10 PM »
OMG, I just looked at new forms....  it is 16 pages long and completely ludicrous with the questions...  I have to have all dates of past weddings and divorces for us both...  name all of my family and where they live...  

Gawd...  if LDDS is not bad enough...these new forms are going to be taxing my total stress level...

It's a bit daunting, isn't it?  Just take it one step at a time, and start filling out a draft form NOW so you can be prepared for the real mccoy later. ;)

Sponsored Links