Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anyone Else With a Fear of Flying?  (Read 1891 times)

Re: Anyone Else With a Fear of Flying?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2005, 09:08:37 AM »
Enjoy the flight, but not the crash, right? ;)
Hey, you wouldnt know what hit ya! lol

When I worked for AA  I used to fly trans-Atlantic once a month. I was so used to servere turbulance I believe it actually helped make me sleep. :) I always flew First Class and one time I woke up and found everything strapped down and the flight attendants in their jump seats. The turbulance was so bad. But I just nodded off to sleep.
When I went to a training course at DFW. We had to observe the pilots training in the sims. Its unbelievable what they can actually pull out of. And before they can actually get their wings they MUST score 100% on their sims. I have all the confidence in the world in the American Airlines pilots. Well with their training anyway.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2005, 09:20:26 AM »
Oh, I definitely don't believe in drinking while flying! I mean, what if you spill?!?!  ;)

Only thing is...I have to maintain an air of respectability (usually) :-[ because I'm often flying on my pilot brother's privileges.  That said, I had my attack of the giggles in the lavatory once. 8)
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2005, 09:22:09 AM »
Well when i'm alone i am OK, not great.  Usually nothing a xanax and a glass of wine can't cure

when i'm with david i'm a MESS, cause i think HE's going to die.  i don't care about me, it's when i look over at him i get this high anxiety thing and wig out.  i don't know how we'll ever fly with kids.  mommy will have to be severely knocked out

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2005, 09:25:02 AM »
I have all the confidence in the world in he American Airlines pilots. Well with their training anyway.

Ditto for Delta! ;D

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2005, 09:27:36 AM »
My BF will be flying for the first time in September, so it'll be interesting to see how that goes! He's coming to the US with me for a friend's wedding. He's absolutely convinced that he won't be scared of flying, but you never can tell until you're up there. Unfortunately, he'll have to go it alone on the way out as he can only take a week off from work -- and I'll probably go over for a couple of weeks. But at least we'll be able to fly back home together.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2005, 09:28:14 AM »
I was so used to servere turbulance I believe it actually helped make me sleep. :)

Turbulence makes me very pukey and I hate to vomit - top ten fears and all that. I felt just as rough while on a flight simulator that was firmly anchored to the ground  ::)

After years of not getting much joy from travel wristbands and herbal remedies (pah!), I've found the solution in a travel sickness patch called Scopoderm. So far it's knocked my motion sickness stone dead - so weird, to be on a plane that's bumping around and to feel, well, okay.

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2005, 09:31:38 AM »
Turbulence makes me very pukey and I hate to vomit - top ten fears and all that.

My best friend is an emetophobic...his phobia of that is v severe.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2005, 09:36:53 AM »
Turbulence makes me very pukey and I hate to vomit - top ten fears and all that.

Do you have a non-vomiting "streak" like Jerry Seinfeld?
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2005, 09:44:09 AM »
Yes, it's a bugger. I'm more afraid of having to do chemotherapy (with the resulting nausea/vomiting) than I am of the cancer itself. Which is pretty stupid, obviously, but that's how fear goes sometimes.

Do you have a non-vomiting "streak" like Jerry Seinfeld?

Yes! I haven't puked since January 1st, 1996.   [smiley=balloon.gif]

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2005, 09:50:52 AM »
  Yes! I haven't puked since January 1st, 1996.   [smiley=balloon.gif]

Ooooooo - my friend's streak goes back to sometime in the 1970s!  Poor man -- he's always woefully underweight (all phobia related) & makes sure to have an ongoing stash of tigan, compazine, or whatever he can talk the doc into giving him.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2005, 10:09:41 AM »
My BF will be flying for the first time in September, so it'll be interesting to see how that goes!

Wow, flying for the 1st time ever!!  I guess he doesn't get around much.   ;)

bvamin

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2005, 10:58:04 AM »
Before I had children I was not worried about flying at all.  After the children I do worry.  I leave for England tonight with my two sons.  I am not really worried about safety, though I do have a fear of flying with my 19 month old, who cried for six hours on out last return flight.  I was thinking of bringing ear plugs for our fellow passengers ;)

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2005, 11:02:33 AM »
Yes, I have a fear of flying with your 19-month-old as well ;)

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2005, 11:04:03 AM »
Yes, I have a fear of flying with your 19-month-old as well ;)

Totally understandable!

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2005, 12:53:45 PM »
Several years ago I took my 5 month old and my 3 year old sons to Italy all by myself. I flew BA out and they were very helpful with carseats and the bassinet thingy but I flew Iberia back. NEVER again. Nice flight but you never saw the flight attendants. We were all dehydrating and the passengers were serving other passengers orange juice and water. Its like the flight attendants were on strike or something. Terrible!
Flying with children/babies need not be a horrifying experience. Just bring tons of things for them to do and make sure you bring their comfort items like blankets, teddy bears and pacifiers. Also I when I fly with my kids I never make a big deal about what we are doing. I just put them on the plane and stap them in. For all they know they are going for a ride in someone elses car.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab