Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anyone Else With a Fear of Flying?  (Read 1890 times)

Re: Anyone Else With a Fear of Flying?
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2005, 01:58:28 PM »
I am terrified of flying, absolutely terrified.

I never used to be, I used to fly all over the place and not worry at all-then one day it occurred to me that with every flight I took my odds were going down (or is it up?) and ever since then I've been afraid of it.

I'm OK once I'm in the air for a little bit, and landings don't make me nervous-even turbulence doesn't scare me too much, although it will if it's really bad.  It's the take-off, and all of the stuff before you get on that scares me.  I'm in a daze for weeks before I have to fly.

Now that we're thinking we might end up moving separately, I will probably have to fly with both our girls and the thought makes me freeze.  Bad enough I have to fly, but my little girls too?  I'm trying really hard to get past it.  Part of my problem is, as much as I like the idea of taking one of those "fear of flying" classes, I wonder if it's worth it-so I won't be afraid when something happens, then?  My plane could crash whether I'm scared or not, you know? (Yes, I know it's fatalistic). 

So add me to the "petrified of flying" list.

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2005, 03:15:07 PM »
It doesn't make you not afraid of something actually happening...it makes you face flying in a more realistic way & less traumatic way.  You should do it.  I have done work with people on phobias (including my own of needles) and there are ways to work through it that do work...I went from hiding in trash cans at doctors' offices, throwing up with upset to regularly donating blood. 

• Liked: 0
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2005, 03:37:15 PM »
I developed some fear of flying after 9/11. I work for an airline as a flight attendant and make usually 3 trips US-UK a month. I would do OK until it was that time on the flight where everything was done, people were asleep and it was quiet. I would then have some mini-panic attacks. I started seeing a therapist for a while to help me overcome it and for the most part it has. But it still creeps up on me at times.
"I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck

• Me and my Brit
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2005, 04:29:21 PM »
While I can't say I'm terrified - I really do not like flying and to get freaked out if there is the slightest bump in the air.  Now when I went over to England in March the long flight was FANTASTIC and I was so pleased - it was as if someone lifted me up and floated me over the ocean.  Wait - that's what they did!!!  :)  But it was really a great flight.  On the way back - it was turbulance all the way.   ::)  I didn't sleep at all and was a wreck till we landed in Toronto.

I will take dyphenhydramine to sleep once in awhile and thought that would help on the flights - leave it to me to pack it in my checked baggage on BOTH flights!!!!!!   ???  Go figure!!!   Well, I'm actually glad I didn't take it on the flight over since it really was very enjoyable, but the flight home I could have used all the drugs I could find.  And on top of it, I spilled one tiny dribble of wine on myself (remember that turbulance?) and the flight attendant thought I didn't need anything more to drink so she never came back with the bottle.  I was too embarassed to ask for more after that, feeling like a total drunkard - it was one tiny glass and it was bumpy!!!!  SHEESH!!!!!

Anyway - I do tend to get myself pretty worked up before a flight.  I had a bad experience a couple years ago on a short flight from Delaware to Michigan where we had a true problem with the plane.  Even the flight crew were white with terror on this one, and I have never prayed so much in my life.  Everyone was scared to death.  It was enough to make me not want to fly again - - and here I go, falling in love with a guy from England.  hehehe

~Liza
"Be not the slave of your own past - plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with a new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old."  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2005, 05:06:04 PM »
Wow, flying for the 1st time ever!!  I guess he doesn't get around much.   ;)

bvamin

He's a total workaholic. This will be his first vacation in years!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2005, 05:08:10 PM »
He's a total workaholic. This will be his first vacation in years!

Sheesh! And he's English?
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Snaps
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2005, 05:14:45 PM »
Sheesh! And he's English?

I think his first vacation ever, to be honest! He and his family used to always go to the Scilly Isles for holidays when he was a child. But ever since then, he's been working at his own business and hasn't been able to get away. I'm going to change all that!  ;)

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2005, 09:04:04 PM »

Anyway - I do tend to get myself pretty worked up before a flight.  I had a bad experience a couple years ago on a short flight from Delaware to Michigan where we had a true problem with the plane.  Even the flight crew were white with terror on this one, and I have never prayed so much in my life.  Everyone was scared to death.  It was enough to make me not want to fly again - - and here I go, falling in love with a guy from England.  hehehe

~Liza

I hear you--we had an emergency landing (going from London-Atlanta) in Feb. in St John's, Newfoundland. Smoke in the cockpit. It turned out OK (12 hour delay waiting for a new plane) but it was pretty frightening while it was happening.
"I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck

• Liked: 1
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2005, 01:24:16 PM »
Pleased to report i ROCKED OUT on my 2 flights alone this trip.  I kept thinking about the pilot's training...and what they can get through.  then i looked at the flight attendants that i used to see on my boston-london flights and realized these people do this all the time.  the amount of planes that land and take off every hour is insane.  Chill out.

So i do.

I also thought, well if it's my time to go....it is.  Why worry about it.

It really helped me.  Other than one little quake of nerves, i even handled take off well.  no white knuckling.

i was really close to going to the virgin programe too!

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2005, 03:05:14 PM »
The only thing I am afraid of is the checking in bit.  I'm always afraid of lines, or my bag will weigh to much etc.  Then I'm afraid there will be no room in the overhead bin.  Silly things yes, but I need to worry about something!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2005, 07:08:52 PM »
I DO NOT like to fly over water (and look where I live -- on an ISLAND!) -- I don't understand it -- flying over land is actually a COMFORT but water --- nope!

• Me and my Brit
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2005, 07:12:53 PM »
I DO NOT like to fly over water (and look where I live -- on an ISLAND!) -- I don't understand it -- flying over land is actually a COMFORT but water --- nope!

I totally agree.  Makes so sense whatsoever - but I'd rather crash and burn than freeze and drown I guess.   ::)

I nearly had an anxiety attack when I watched the end of Titanic.   :-\\\\

~Liza
"Be not the slave of your own past - plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with a new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old."  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Liked: 2
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2005, 07:18:16 PM »
I totally agree.  Makes so sense whatsoever - but I'd rather crash and burn than freeze and drown I guess.   ::)

I nearly had an anxiety attack when I watched the end of Titanic.   :-\\\\

~Liza

I blame the AIRPORT movies of the 70s -- there was ONE that went into the water -- Jack Lemmon?  (no! Cannot think about it!)  [smiley=sick.gif]

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2005, 07:28:06 PM »
My husband is terrified of flying. HE has only been to the US with me once since we married in 2001.

It's not the flying itself, he says, it's the crashing and burning and dying. I assured him, that if he was on the plane with us, and that happen, he would not have to pine over me.  ;)

It doesn't bother me in the least what bothers me is his irrational fear. You are more likely to get run over by a car on our street, than crash in a plane.
Never hold Farts in. They travel up your spine and to your brain. This is where sh*tty Ideas come from.

• Snaps
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2005, 10:35:54 PM »
I blame the AIRPORT movies of the 70s -- there was ONE that went into the water -- Jack Lemmon?  (no! Cannot think about it!)  [smiley=sick.gif]

Was that the one with the singing nun (or did I dream that)? I'd be more terrified of THAT than of crashing! ;)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab