Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK jobs, holidays, etc - Question  (Read 1690 times)

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
UK jobs, holidays, etc - Question
« on: April 21, 2005, 10:09:21 AM »
Ok - just remembered what I signed on for this morning before getting distracted by other threads!  Here's my situation/questions:

I have finally begun to look pretty intensively for work here in the UK (have been here about a year). The thing is - my husband and I have *already* planned a holiday to the States starting with the last bank holiday weekend in May & through June 12th.  I need to get back for my mom (in a nursing home) and also my niece is graduating high school on June 9th so the trip has been in the works for awhile. I do not want to wait to start working any longer - want to start asap - as soon as I receive an attractive job offer. I know that in starting at a company -- I am not likely to have any paid holiday right away nor would I expect to receive paid holiday in just starting a job. However, at what point (in the interview/hiring process) should I bring up the fact that I am going to be away the first two weeks of June?  It is my belief (hope?) that a company worth working for will be understanding & accommodating of these long-made plans of ours -- they are not negotiable plans, btw.  Please help with any advice you can?

My husband & I are both avid traveling people...I know that holiday plans with most employers here are far more generous than anything available in the States. Yay!  But can anyone enlighten me on the -- I don't know how to explain it - work culture over here of taking time off/holidays from work?  This is aside from my above - very specific question.  See - I was used to working for miserly employers in the States where just asking for the time off (that you already had coming to you, at least in theory) was like a huge, major deal...and it wasn't uncommon to have your request for leave at a particular time denied for the employer's own selfish & twisted reasons. ;)  What always comes to mind is Oliver Twist...you know, holding out your empty porridge bowl and timidly asking - 'May I have some more please?'

I appreciate any insight on these issues!  This is all so new to me -- and I seriously doubt that I have the secret handshake down just yet. ;)

Carolyn B
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 04:28:02 PM by carolyn_b »
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: UK jobs, holidays, etc - Question
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 10:19:51 AM »
I started my present job at the beginning of October 2003 and already had an 11 day holiday to visit my mother booked for that Thanksgiving in November.  I simply told my boss and they had no problem with it.  I was able to go AND got paid holiday pay for it.  But that's because of how my employer does holidays. 
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 01:15:38 PM »
Most employers will honour the holiday as most are already paid for. It does depend on the employer regarding being paid for it tho. The non-profit organisation I worked for had no problem honouring the request, but it was expected to be unpaid. Tit for tat in most cases...peedal, got any job openings?? lol

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 01:20:56 PM »
In my experience, most companies give you a certain amount of holidays and you're allowed to use those holidays at any point, you don't need to accrue them first.

And if you tell them during the interview that you've got a holiday already booked and can't get out of it, they'll usually be very good about it and let you take it off or let you start after the holiday. Case in point: my last job I had, I started one week before my holiday, worked that week, took the two weeks off and came back to work. No problems whatsoever. Plus, they gave me those days off as paid holiday (the amount I would get for the rest of the year as I started that job mid year).

Just this February I took 2.5 weeks off for holiday. Again, no problems whatsoever. My company is very good about letting us go on holiday, they encourage it. It's part of the job, they can't expect you to not take it.

The work culture is very different here. The British love their holidays and no one gets in the way of it. Each company is, obviously, different but I think you'll find that on the whole, most companies give you those holidays for a reason - to take them!
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 01:31:24 PM »
Great thread! Carolyn~you always seem to ask the questions that I should be considering, but didn't know I was considering them until you ask! ;)

Even though I am not there yet, the NHS is where the majority of my job ops will be. Does the NHS have a standard holiday amount you are offered as a new hire and if so, does anyone have any knowledge of that? I was so overwhelmed with licensing/training information when I was over last week that I never got around to asking about holidays.
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 01:36:26 PM »
Thanks Ashley - you ARE the Leeds employment guru. ;)   I'm still kinda waiting on Ritz, so I've started doing more apps on my own this week.

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 01:40:27 PM »
Great thread! Carolyn~you always seem to ask the questions that I should be considering, but didn't know I was considering them until you ask! ;)

It's only 'cause I'm over here already -- muddling through as best I can.

Not sure on your NHS question - wondering if the NHS website(s) would have any info until someone who knows more can get back to you?

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 02:12:29 PM »
I'm still kinda waiting on Ritz, so I've started doing more apps on my own this week.

Phone 'em up! Get on thier tails and in the meantime, go to other agencies. There are a friggin load in LS1. Phone up for appointments to sign up with the firm. Get your name out there.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 02:18:08 PM »
Phone 'em up! Get on thier tails and in the meantime, go to other agencies. There are a friggin load in LS1. Phone up for appointments to sign up with the firm. Get your name out there.

Will do.  The permanent placement lady calls me more frequently -- but just no interviews yet.  The temp lady -- I don't hear much from her.  This week, I am putting in apps at some places that say 'no agencies please'.  I'm sure something will come along soon -- my fear (and hope) is that I'll get several offers at once & have to try & decide which one. :)  After I get through with this round, I'll see about some other agencies -- Leeds Council web site has a good document with a list of employment agencies here.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 02:53:08 PM »
Thoughts from another Leeds based employee ... I actually officially joined the pay roll at my current firm while I was on holiday in the US and got paid for being on holiday, without ever having done a day's work for them.  I even got a pay cheque on my first day at the office! How amazing is that?!

Yes, holidays are VERY important here and I don't think any employer would begrudge you a pre booked holiday (and if they do, you don't want to work for them!!) and hey, if you're lucky, you may even be able to take it as paid leave.

Just be upfront in the interview!

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2005, 05:30:27 PM »
Even though I am not there yet, the NHS is where the majority of my job ops will be. Does the NHS have a standard holiday amount you are offered as a new hire and if so, does anyone have any knowledge of that?

Its been a while since I worked for the NHS,but if memory serves you start at the basic 4 weeks or so per annum,then you get extra time for long service,then if you work bank holidays you get double time or time and a half plus a day off in lieu.

Dave
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.
Ernest Benn

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2005, 12:37:01 AM »
Thanks Dave!
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2005, 06:52:27 AM »
Courtney, 

when I worked for at the GP's surgery here, I was entitled to 21 days + bank holidays/per year.  I've since changed jobs and started working at the hospital, but on the bank, so I just work whenever I want, but I still got "holiday" every 3 months.  I believe that since Agenda for Change has started, the annual leave time has increased quite a bit, DH is now entitled to 41 days ++ per year, so they are quite generous with time off.

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2005, 09:16:01 AM »
Hee hee...one of the jobs that I'm applying for this week has not only a reasonable rate of pay for the type of job I'm looking for...but ALSO 25 days paid holiday (to start) plus 15 1/2 more days public holiday & 'company closure' days(?).  I told hubs that's the job for me!  So we were joking last night about my imagined interview there:

'Why do you want to work here?'

'Well actually, I'm mainly interested in working for you because of the days that I will NOT have to work. That's what really attracted me to your organisation -- the days that will be FREE from work.' 8)

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2005, 12:00:09 PM »
Barbara~ Thanks for the encouraging info!

[quote author=carolyn_b link=topic=13083.msg133468#msg133468 date=1114157761
'Well actually, I'm mainly interested in working for you because of the days that I will NOT have to work. That's what really attracted me to your organisation -- the days that will be FREE from work.' 8)

LOL! Love it!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab