Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: searching for a way  (Read 1591 times)

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
Re: searching for a way
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2005, 08:55:34 AM »
So then it is possible to go over there as a tourist and decide to apply for a marriage visa during that visit? I mean, I wouldn't have to have some sort of visa (fiance, student, or whatever else) when I first went over there?

What kind of proof do you have to have that you have the funds to support yourself? - a bank statement I'm assuming. And how much is enough - I won't be having to pay rent or anything cuz I'll be staying with him.

Thanks everyone!!
:)

Shim...I would post your questions in the visa section of the board...more people will see it there!  Best of luck!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2005, 07:48:25 PM »
I believe you would still need a fiance visa.
Good luck!
From what I've read vistors to the US don't need fiance visas to marry there if they leave the country afterwards.

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2005, 07:59:07 PM »
So then it is possible to go over there as a tourist and decide to apply for a marriage visa during that visit? I mean, I wouldn't have to have some sort of visa (fiance, student, or whatever else) when I first went over there?

Yes, you WILL have to have some sort of visa to enter the UK.  If you get married in the US, you will need to go to the British Consulate *in the US* to get your spousal visa.  You're then able to legally enter the UK to settle, and can work immediately once you get here.

What kind of proof do you have to have that you have the funds to support yourself? - a bank statement I'm assuming. And how much is enough - I won't be having to pay rent or anything cuz I'll be staying with him.

For both the Fiance and Spousal visas, you'll both  need to show three months worth of bank statements, letters from employers (probably just his since you won't have a job in the UK yet, I assume).  You'll also need some proof that you'll have sufficient housing, like a lease or mortgage papers. 

There is no set amount for how much you need.  But you should be able to show that you are able to support yourselves without the aid of public funds.  So if you have a good employment history or a CV/resume that shows you are employable, or if your partner makes enough to support you both fairly easily, that will be good. 

Best to check out the IND website for the details, but I hope this helps a bit.  :)

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2005, 03:01:35 PM »
As to going over to the UK as a tourist and then applying for marriage visa on that visit. There was another thread about this scenario somewhere on here .... can't remember where, but you would need to quite careful if you wanted to do things that way.

When you enter on a visitor visa to the UK you are aserting that you intend to leave the UK in 6 months, to then apply for a marriage visa would make it seem as if you planned on staying there  when you applied for the visitor visa and thus lied to immigration. To go from a visitor visa to a marriage visa within the UK and without returning to US you would need to show that your decision to marry was spontaneous and that when you originally entered on the visitor visa you didn't intend for that to happen. If they see any evidence of planning, such as advance wedding hall reservations, large weddings that take a long time to prepare, etc, then they can deny you the visa. The thread that I can't find told about a couple that got in trouble that way.

So I'm not sure if I would go that route. Seems safer to marry in the US and then apply for a spousal here, or simply to enter on a fiance visa in the first place.

:P This is so exhausting.... I'm in the same boat too...

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2005, 03:05:11 PM »
Actually, now you simply cannot get married in the UK without some sort of entry clearance beforehand.  You cannot come as a visitor and then decide to get married - the registry offices will not let you register to get married without prior entry clearance. 
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Me and my Brit
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2005, 03:33:15 PM »
Now I know why we are getting married in Michigan, then moving me over.   ::)

~Liza
"Be not the slave of your own past - plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with a new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old."  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2005, 04:00:04 PM »
Actually, now you simply cannot get married in the UK without some sort of entry clearance beforehand.  You cannot come as a visitor and then decide to get married - the registry offices will not let you register to get married without prior entry clearance. 

Peedal is right.  The rules have changed.  Check the sticky thread at the top of this forum.  It is not longer legal to come in on a tourist visa and get married in the UK. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab