Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Psychometric Testing!?  (Read 679 times)

• Liked: 0
Psychometric Testing!?
« on: April 25, 2005, 07:26:28 PM »
I have a job interview in London in May ;D!
I'm a bit unnerved by the interview schedule, however, and would appreciate any information.
It includes 2.5 hours of "Psychometric Testing" and an hour's interview with the two principals.
It's a mid to low level job, but definitely a professional position as near as I can figure.
Is this normal???

• Unavailable for Comment.
Re: Psychometric Testing!?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 10:07:03 PM »
Oooh... psychometric testing. I believe that's where they assess what job you'd be best in. Very interesting. The only time I've had those done was at a recruitment agency. I've never heard of them being done during an actual interview. However, some people in more professional positions that I may have experienced this.

Ooh, good luck with it. Let us know how it goes.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 01:22:59 AM »
Ashley-
Check out www.bradleycvs.co.uk/psychometric/htm. You can take a mini psychometric test and they give you a mini report on the test results. I tried it out and it was interesting and accurate. It may make you a bit more comfortable about you tests. Let me know what you think.

Liz
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 07:18:52 AM »
I'm not sure how "normal" it is, but my company has just introduced testing for new applicants, and the whole management team.  I've now had just about every type out there, I think!  Personally, I find them facinating and don't mind them.  And I think they do help to make sure you get the right fit when hiring someone.  That's good for both employer and employee!  But I can see how they might be nerve-wracking if you knew they were dependent on your landing the job.  Best thing is just be honest and what will be will be. 

Hope it all goes/went well for you!  :)

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 09:23:24 AM »
It's the new 'in' thing for companies to do.  Personally, I think most of it is bunk as they use tests that are meant for other purposes (usually for psychotherapists to use in assessment...). Hopefully no one will use the test as a stand alone - that they will look at other factors, such as recommendations, interviews, etc.  No one should not get a job just due to a psychometric test...unless other factors point in that direction.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 11:48:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies, folks.  I took the Psychometric test Liz pointed me to and, well, lets just say I'm not sure who they thought I was.
I'm thinking this will be something a bit different since they told me to bring a calculator, but we shall see.
I've got myself all pysched up for this job and now find myself worrying about whether I'll remember a No. 2 pencil.
Your supportive postings have bouyed my spirt though.
Thanks,
dan

• chasing my rainbow, catching it and tying it down
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 01:31:32 PM »
Just wanted to update that link for folks

http://www.peoplemaps.co.uk/bradleycvs.htm

Thanks Augie for the link, I just did it and it was spookily accurate- am I weird, I LOVE things like this?  ???
Born to shop..............forced to work

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 03:35:31 PM »
Best of luck...let us know how it goes!

• Me and my Brit
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 05:27:55 PM »
A manager in the company I work for (a global company) uses Myers-Briggs(sp) testing all the time to determine personality types.  He has done our whole team - over 100 people - and he says he finds it extremely helpful in assigning people to projects and working/communicating with them. 

Also, my Church requires compatibility testing prior to marriage as part of marriage preparation. 

I think these tests are becoming more and more popular.  I don't always agree with how the information is used, and in some cases it may be an invasion/misuse of privacy.

~Liza
"Be not the slave of your own past - plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with a new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old."  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sponsored Links