Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Applying for a driving licence  (Read 719 times)

• Liked: 0
Applying for a driving licence
« on: April 26, 2005, 04:03:35 PM »
Hello Everyone -  I need to apply for a UK driving licence and am confused by what I need to send to the DVLA.  I have the D100 form and have looked on the DVLA website for instruction, but am still in the dark.  Do I need to send in my US licence?  Do I need to send a passport?  I have only been here 6 months and therefore don't have anyone to guarentee my photo.  Do I need a current photo?  After I receive a provisional licence then do I take the test?  Thanks for your help!  Kate

• Liked: 2
Re: Applying for a driving licence
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 04:41:51 PM »
Yeah -- you need to send your passport.  They'll send it back -- but believe me -- it's nervewracking!
The pictures (passport size) need to be signed and the form needs to be signed.  That's fun! (not!)
Once you have your provisional -- you don't NEED to take your test right away.   You have plenty of time to get used to the roads here and the HIGHWAY CODE -- (seems like there should be booming drums and imposing music playing when I write that!)

Stick around here  -- UKY and you'll find all the answers!!  Best of Luck!   [smiley=clover2.gif]

Welcome! [smiley=daisy.gif]

• Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 08:13:34 PM »
If you haven't known anyone long enough to have your photo signed, you can take it to the DVLA and they'll sign it for you.  Then they'll just gather up all your stuff (passport, application, photos) and send it away for you.

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 11:09:17 PM »
Nothing to add,, but Welcome to UKY ;)

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 01:40:15 AM »
Does anyone drive with their US license here ? I am familier with the One-Year driving priveledge in the UK but i hear a lot of Yanks continue to drive with their US licenses AFTER the one year, using their un-expired US licenses and just simply play it dumb if and when they are pulled over . Do you guys think this will this really work ? I guess it depends on the person pulling you over eh ?

Cheers
Zu

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 02:05:14 AM »
I would also be interested in knowing what you should do if you don't plan on driving. Do you still have only a year?
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 05:36:59 AM »
... but i hear a lot of Yanks continue to drive with their US licenses AFTER the one year, using their un-expired US licenses and just simply play it dumb if and when they are pulled over . Do you guys think this will this really work ?

If you have an accident, you'll almost certainly find that you're uninsured if you are driving on a USA license after the "grace period".
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 05:38:52 AM »
I would also be interested in knowing what you should do if you don't plan on driving. Do you still have only a year?

It's a year from when you move here - you don't have the option of deferring it to start at a later date, I'm afraid.
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 08:18:24 AM »
Does anyone drive with their US license here ? I am familier with the One-Year driving priveledge in the UK but i hear a lot of Yanks continue to drive with their US licenses AFTER the one year, using their un-expired US licenses and just simply play it dumb if and when they are pulled over . Do you guys think this will this really work ? I guess it depends on the person pulling you over eh ?
Cheers
Zu

This was attempted by someone at my school and they received a VERY hefty fine...more than £1000...much more from what I understand.  It is not worth it in my mind.

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 08:41:32 AM »
my understanding is that if you continue to drive with your US licence, past the 1 year grace period, your US licence becomes 'invalid' in the eyes of the UK authorities.  if, god forbid, you got into a serious motoring accident, your insurance could/would claim that you are driving on an invalid licence and hence not entitled to their cover.  so... get the US licence.  i fought the whole idea for awhile, i thought it was stupid and arrogant and obnoxious of the brits.  but, i'm a better driver for it and i felt so chuffed when i passed.  it's like being 17 again. sort of.
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab