Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I'm Married Now What?!?!  (Read 914 times)

• Liked: 0
I'm Married Now What?!?!
« on: April 27, 2005, 07:15:56 PM »
Ok, I got my UK entry clearance and have just moved and married my fiance in London. Now what? I plan to stay in London and need to change my status from fiance to spouse. I was told if I did that I would also be granted a work permit. How does all this work and who should I contact for information, etc.?!?!

Thanks for all your help!

• Married March 21,2005!!!
    • My Myspace page
Re: I'm Married Now What?!?!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 07:34:46 PM »
Bridget, you will get tons of advice here.
first of all i can tell you that, unfortunatly you cannot apply for spousal visa outside of the United states. Am I correct in assuming you are IN the UK now and just are on a  fiance or visiting visa?

let me know :)
  then i can see what to tell you. I just got married too so i am in the same boat as you, except we got married in Las Vegas.  :)
cheers
Married to the most wonderful man in the world. Patrick Mulcrone. March 21,2005.  :) Temporarily back in the USA! Missing him! If you need advice I am here for you!

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 07:49:08 PM »
Bridget, you will get tons of advice here.
first of all i can tell you that, unfortunatly you cannot apply for spousal visa outside of the United states. Am I correct in assuming you are IN the UK now and just are on a  fiance or visiting visa?

let me know :)
  then i can see what to tell you. I just got married too so i am in the same boat as you, except we got married in Las Vegas.  :)
cheers
Can't she apply for a spouse visa in the UK if she came over on a fiancee visa?
"I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 07:50:38 PM »
If she came over on a Fiancee visa, then she will need to apply for FLR which most certainly can be done from the UK.  However, if she came over on the visa waiver program, she will need to return to the US to apply for a spousal visa.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Married March 21,2005!!!
    • My Myspace page
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 08:03:59 PM »
you know they have to make things difficult! Nothing is easy no more ! :)
  sorry feeling v. cheeky ....
  shala
Married to the most wonderful man in the world. Patrick Mulcrone. March 21,2005.  :) Temporarily back in the USA! Missing him! If you need advice I am here for you!

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 06:13:15 PM »
I came to the UK with an entry clearance (fiance visa). Somewhere along the line I had heard I could change my status from fiance to spouse from in the UK. This is why i got the visa rather than just come over with my regular passport. i just wanted to get some info as to who i should contact and how i can change  my status and how long it would take because I'm not allowed to work until i do this. if anyone can help i would really appreciate it.

thanks!

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 10:29:51 PM »
You heard right, Bridget.  Because you came over to the UK on a fiancee visa, you can easily change your status now that you are married.  You'll need to apply for a "Further Leave to Remain" or FLR visa from the Home Office.  You can either do this by post, or you can take a trip to Croydon and get the visa in a day.  Check out the website below for the details and forms you'll need to fill in:

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/

Your FLR visa will allow you to work in the UK, and is valid for two years.  After those two years are up, you will need to apply for yet another visa (called Indefinite Leave to Remain or ILR).  The ILR is really the last step and is good as long as you don't leave the country for extended periods of time. 

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 11:32:21 AM »
Sorry if this is obvious, but make sure to apply for your FLR before the expiration date on your fiance visa.

When I entered the UK on my fiance visa, the immigration officer at the airport reminded me that I had to apply for FLR after I got married. Did anyone else have this experience? Just curious.

• finally home
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 12:18:40 PM »
on a fiance/entry clearance  you have 6 months, after you're married and 1 month prior to the flr expiring you can apply for the flr by post i think the home office has 4 week prior rule or something like that

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en/home/applying/application_form.Maincontent.0081.file.tmp/FLR_M%20Form.pdf

the fee is now 335 (must be new to charge)

basically all it is is showing your marriage certificate, any bills with both your names, and bank statements (with new surname) etc..

Sponsored Links