Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hep A shot?  (Read 1296 times)

• Liked: 0
Hep A shot?
« on: April 27, 2005, 09:45:18 PM »
I'm going to Mexico this summer, and the people organizing the trip have advised me to get a Hep A shot before I go. I'm American, but living in the UK until June 25 (I leave for Mexico July 1) so I'm guess it would be better if I got one here instead of waiting until I go back.

I haven't been to the doctor or anything since I've been here, and have no clue how to go about getting the shot, or if anyone will even give me the shot since all my medical records are in the states.

I have a NIN, and (free) emergency care and travelers insurance.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

• Liked: 2
Re: Hep A shot?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 09:52:37 PM »
You can get it done at a travel clinic. You have to pay (as does anyone).  If you're in London there are lots of travel clinics around, there is one at the Hospital for Tropical Diseases and the other one I have been to was in a chemists in Berkley St off Piccadilly.  You don't need a NIN or NHS numbr or anything else.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 10:01:09 PM »
I'm in (greater) Manchester, so I'll just ask around here. Any idea how much it will cost me?
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 11:00:13 PM »
I can't remember because I had a whole lot done at the same time but it wasn't much, about £10-15.

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 11:09:52 PM »
Ok, I can handle it if it's just around £25 or less.  But I hate getting another shot right now!

Last year I lived in the dorms at college (uni) and before I moved in they had to have proof that all my med records were up to date. Turns out my mom had lost most of my records (we move 8 times before I was 13) and couldn't remember  the name of most of my doctors. Long story short, I ended up having to have a lot of the immunizations most people get when they are babies/toddlers, since no one knew if I had ever had them in the first place.  ::)

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 11:43:28 PM »
Immunisations are not compulsory, they are voluntary.  So the college was in violation of the law if they said you 'had to have' immunisations.

In both the UK and the USA, immunisations are voluntary.  Even if you are a student at say, Harvard Medical School, immunisations are not compulsory.

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 09:09:24 AM »
I contracted Hep A in Venezuela.  Believe me, it's better to pay for the jab. 

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 09:29:41 AM »
Immunisations are not compulsory, they are voluntary.  So the college was in violation of the law if they said you 'had to have' immunisations.

In both the UK and the USA, immunisations are voluntary.  Even if you are a student at say, Harvard Medical School, immunisations are not compulsory.

In the US, vaccination policy varies from state to state. some states do have compulsory vaccinations, and exemptions are given for religious or medical reasons.  i know of several states that require kids/parents to show proof of vaccination, or of official exemption, before entering school. 

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 09:31:15 AM »
I contracted Hep A in Venezuela. Believe me, it's better to pay for the jab.

Any others I should get? I'm going to be in 10 countries (england, spain, portugal, france, germany, italy, greece, scotland, america and mexico) over 2 months, so I don't want to risk getting sick.

Immunisations are not compulsory, they are voluntary. So the college was in violation of the law if they said you 'had to have' immunisations.

In both the UK and the USA, immunisations are voluntary. Even if you are a student at say, Harvard Medical School, immunisations are not compulsory.

Even if you live in the dorms? They way they put it was pretty much, 'get the immunisations, or you can't live in the dorm.'

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 09:33:30 AM »
It looks like there are a few others you need, plus anti malarials. When you go to the travel clinic they can tell you which ones you need.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinations/north_america/mexico/facts.htm

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2005, 09:39:38 AM »
i forgot to add that this week i was offered free hep A vaccinations at our GP in Kent, for adults and children. a nice surprise.....

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 10:29:34 AM »
In the US, vaccination policy varies from state to state. some states do have compulsory vaccinations, and exemptions are given for religious or medical reasons.  i know of several states that require kids/parents to show proof of vaccination, or of official exemption, before entering school. 

Religious, medical, philosophical are the three exemption categories in the US.  Yes, it varies by state.  Every single state in the United States offers the medical exemption option.

Frequently, there is the exemption box to tick on the school forms themselves.

The government cannot (at this time) force citizens to be vaccinated.  The Vaccine Injury Compensation Program set up by Congress would never have enough money to pay out if citizens 'had' to be vaccinated.

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2005, 10:36:15 AM »
I contracted Hep A in Venezuela.  Believe me, it's better to pay for the jab. 

I'm sorry about your experience!

Many, many persons are contraindicated for vaccination, based on what the vaccine itself contains.  So it is not an either/or, wherein one either gets the virus or is vaccinated against it.  A quick read through any manufacturer insert included with the vaccine would list the warnings and recommendations that certain persons NOT be vaccinated.

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2005, 11:10:08 AM »
I'm sorry about your experience!

It did suck.  I lost 15 lbs. I really didn't need to lose at the time.  I used to live quite dangerously, however, eating meals off street vendors and such.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab