Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: jobs - how long did it take  (Read 1473 times)

• Liked: 0
jobs - how long did it take
« on: August 06, 2003, 09:46:23 PM »
Some general job questions.  For those of you that didn't have jobs to go to how long did it take?

did you go through a temp agency?  If so which national ones did you find the best?

did you have to take a 'grunt' job or did you find something that matched your qualifications?

Re: jobs - how long did it take
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 08:27:35 PM »
Hi Gromit.

I didn't have a job when i got here, and I registered with every agency I could find.  Adeco was horrible, and the rest were okay, but I don't know if they were all London based or not. I got my permanent job through Susan Hamilton, and my temp job through an agency called Action First.  

At work, I hire temps through Huntress, which I think is absolutely fabulous.

I did have to lower my standards and get in on the 'ground level' but I managed to find a job at a place where I knew hard work would be rewarded.  I also found work in a familiar field, which helped.  Two years on, I've worked my way up and am now back where I was when I left the US.

Hope that helps!

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2003, 09:27:10 PM »
Thanks, that does help.  We've been trying to find jobs to go to and it seems like employment agencies want to interview you first.  Catch 22.  

We are just going to have to have blind faith !

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2003, 03:36:15 AM »
Hi Gromit, sorry I've not replied sooner.

I worked temporary positions until I got my perm job. It took me around 9 months to get it. And it wasn't as if I was looking day and night. Once I had a job (any job) I just pretty much stayed until I got another one.

I too recommend Huntress since they're the ones who got me my perm job. They were so fantastic! But I also recommend signing up with as many recruitment agencies as you can find in the yellow pages. Get yourself out there!

Good luck.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

Sponsored Links