Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Breaking all the rules, but here I am!  (Read 2389 times)

Breaking all the rules, but here I am!
« on: July 02, 2002, 04:26:35 PM »
I'm not an idiot, honest!  I do know that the polite thing to do is to read a forum for a little while and *then* get brave and post.  So I'm breaking all the rules. Just thought it was only fair to let you all know that.  (Is there some sort of corner where I should do my pennance?  Three Hail UK Yankee Forums or something?)

I'm just too excited to have found a new group of American pals I couldn't help myself!

You see, my darling husband is an active poster on another expat forum, (which shall remain nameless, eh hem), and although he's an absolute dream come true in real life, his online personality and pressence there has tarnished my reputation.  Now, I don't post there too often, but the fact is that people know I'm his wife and see me in a certain light as he can be a bit, well, British in his posting.  (And by British I mean a sarcastic little snot.)  

I need a spot of my own where I know his eyes won't be going in case I'm having a $&^"@*& day and just want to whine about how much I can't stand London.  You know what mean?

So a bit about me seems appropriate, eh?

I'm 27, lived all over the US but most recently spent a lot of time in Tennessee/Kentucky area.  I moved to London in March 2001 to marry my Scottish husband, whom I met online.  We're now living and working in London for the time being, though we both hope to get back to the State permanently in a few years.

Anyway, I'm sure pleased as punch to be here and hope to just jump right in, if that's ok?

Be talkin' at y'all soon! ;D

• Don't let your life pass you by!
  • Liked: 0
Re: Breaking all the rules, but here I am!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2002, 04:33:50 PM »
Welcome Wishstar,
I know how important it is to have your own place to go and everyone on this site is great.  Also, I have found everyone to be fair with opinions and feelings about topics.  We are having a party on July 20th at our new restaurant in Greenwich so be sure to check out the invite (go to events topic and you will see the American BBQ and link to the evite.  It will be fun!
Cheers!
Tammy
BE NICE OR BE GONE!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2002, 05:15:50 PM »
Welcome to the site!  Come and play whenever there are lots of great people to get to know.   ;D
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2002, 06:02:28 PM »
This site is great for friendly, respectful, insightful discussion threads.  Its very comfortable, and I think everyone is pretty secure expressing their views without feeling as if they're going to get "beat up" for it.

It's definitely been and island in the storm for me many a time...and I'm not even over to the UK yet!

So welcome much - and just wait until Marlespo gets back...
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2002, 11:10:09 PM »
hey wishstar....glad you dropped by and please dont be a stranger.  lots of terrific folks here who are or have been in the same situation as yourself.....american, moving/moved to england and learning to COPE, lol.  we get together on tuesday evenings for live chats 8pm-10pm.  hope to see ya there!!
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2002, 11:14:44 PM »
Wow!  Thanks for all the welcomes. Yes, I can already tell this is a nice nook for me.  So glad to be here!

I'm going to work on my husband to see if we can come to the get-together on the 20th.....goodness sounds like fun! (His first question was, 'What kind of food are they having?') So I'll make sure I RSVP in time for that.

Now, about this chat thing....how does one do such a thing, exactly???  And do go slow....I'm not as bright as I look.  ;)

• Liked: 24
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2002, 01:43:28 PM »
Hiya Wishstar, we met in chat last night, but I just wanted to post my welcome. Glad you found us, and well done sussing out the chat applet.

I hope you'll convince your man to come or let you come to our shindig. I've been really lucky to have such a great bunch here, they've helped make it a dream come true. Took 2 1/2 years to get to this point, but it was well worth the wait.  8)

• Michigan~~~~Tex as~~~~Bradford West Yorkshire
    • CampThornBouchStein
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2002, 03:09:31 PM »
Hiya wish, Welcome to the site!!!

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2002, 04:39:59 PM »
Hiya Wishstar and welcome!  Glad you found the site!   :)
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2002, 06:19:41 PM »
Welcome to the forum Wishstar.  ;D

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2002, 09:03:27 PM »
Hiya Star!

Rules, Schmools.  Welcome to UK Yankee!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2002, 11:45:42 PM »
Welcome to the site  :D

• having one of those days...
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2002, 01:07:15 PM »
hi wishstar,

sorry a bit late but wanted to add my 'welcome to the site!'

there's a great bunch here who have really helped with my coping over here.  my hubby is especially happy i found it and now he doesn't have as much 'depression time' to deal with. :)

hope to 'see' you in chat sometime!

*:)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
--Douglas Adams

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab