Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Another UK Drivers License Question..  (Read 822 times)

• Liked: 0
Another UK Drivers License Question..
« on: May 01, 2005, 12:19:55 PM »
Hi guys..i'm sure this topic has been coverd somewhere but i just dont seem to find it.

Ok my US International drivers license expires on 8/05 and i am about to submit the DVLA form but had a few questions.

1. I read somewhere that if you dont have someone to sign your photo you could submit the pic in person at a DVLA office..would they also return my passport back to me if i take make the long journey to Swansea ( i assume thats where i will have to go ) and submit the application in person ?

2. Another thing is my International license expires in August but i arrived in the UK in June..so would my one year anniversary be in June or August ?

3. Would i be better served by going to Swansea in person to save time ? I had been waiting to get my residence permit from the Home Office which took for ever so it has forced me to apply for UK license quite late . Also, i heard that i would have needed to take  the theory and practical test WITHIN that my  International license is valid...if i wanted to drive without " L " plates ...can someone please explain this ? Will i have time to take all the tests before my Int. Lic. expires ?

4. So keeping in mind that i need to travel in June to the States..what would you suggest is the best course of action ? What is the turn-around time with the DVLA in terms of getting your passport back ?

5. BTW i have a full CA  drivers license and a full  International drivers license. ( CA license does not expire for another 4 years )

Sorry about so many Q.'s...need to get this sorted out before i leave for the states.

Thanks in advance
Zufan
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 12:32:11 PM by zufan »

Re: Another UK Drivers License Question..
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 12:44:16 PM »
By the way...i read that there are license " exchange " agreements between U.S. and Germany...does anyone know what other EU countries U.S. has agreements with ?

I am an Austrian National and was wondering if Austria and U.S. have the " exchange " agreement ?

Cheers
Zu.

• Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 02:01:40 PM »
1. I read somewhere that if you dont have someone to sign your photo you could submit the pic in person at a DVLA office..would they also return my passport back to me if i take make the long journey to Swansea ( i assume thats where i will have to go ) and submit the application in person ?

That is correct.  If you haven't known anyone in the UK for two years, you can have someone at the DVLA certify your picture.  They'll take your pictures, application, and passport and forward them to Swansea.  I haven't heard of applying for your provisional license in person at the Swansea office, so I can't really address that.  I wouldn't think you'd have to go all the way to Swansea to apply...there should be a DVLA or two near London.

2. Another thing is my International license expires in August but i arrived in the UK in June..so would my one year anniversary be in June or August ?

Your year starts when you establish residency in the UK, so June is your expiration.

3. Would i be better served by going to Swansea in person to save time ? I had been waiting to get my residence permit from the Home Office which took for ever so it has forced me to apply for UK license quite late . Also, i heard that i would have needed to take  the theory and practical test WITHIN that my  International license is valid...if i wanted to drive without " L " plates ...can someone please explain this ? Will i have time to take all the tests before my Int. Lic. expires ?

Again, dunno about applying in person.  If you want to drive without L plates, you'll need to get your full UK license before your 1 year grace period (June) is over.  Otherwise, you'll need L plates while you're driving around on your provisional license and will need to be accompanied by someone with a full UK license.  You can, of course, drive around without L plates now...and can continue to do so until your June expiration date, then you'll either need a full UK license or will be driving (accompanied) on your provisional license with the L plates.

4. So keeping in mind that i need to travel in June to the States..what would you suggest is the best course of action ? What is the turn-around time with the DVLA in terms of getting your passport back ?

Most people seem to have their passports returned in a week or two.

5. BTW i have a full CA  drivers license and a full  International drivers license. ( CA license does not expire for another 4 years )

Neither really comes into play here -- you can drive on either until June...after which you will need to have a full UK license to drive alone or a provisional UK license and drive with someone with a full UK license.

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 06:09:28 PM »
Lola-
Thanks heaps for the heads up..

Just one thing..i have tried to google " dvla office london " but nothing comes up for london.

I am stuck between surrendering my passport now and hoping to get it back by June...or letting my one year expire and deal with it when i get back...what is the down side of letting my one-year driving priveledge expire ?

Cheers

• Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 07:25:43 PM »
If you're in London, I'm pretty sure you'd use this one: 

DVLA Local Office
Ground Floor
Connect House,
133-137 Alexandra Road,
Wimbledon,
SW19 7JY

Telephone - 0870 850 0007

The downside of not getting your UK license during your first year of residency is that you can't drive here legally until you get your UK license.  You will also have to drive with L plates and with someone with a full UK license whilst driving on your UK provisional license.

I think if you send your passport away on Tuesday (the 3rd), you'll have it back by the 17th at the latest....as I said, most people get their passports back in a week or two.

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 08:27:21 PM »
re the austrian / US exchange question: if you were thinking of getting an austrian license and then exchanging it for  a UK one,  that probably wouldn't work. my husband has a german license, which he got by taking lessons and test there. when he asked about exchanging for a UK one, the dvla specifically asked if he had taken the german test, and stated that any eu license gotten by reciprocal agreement with another country didn't qualify for a UK one......

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 08:45:00 PM »

Hi Ncny

Wierd innit ?
So if i understand this correctly,if you get an EU license through reciprocation, it wont fly in the UK right ?

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2005, 09:16:48 PM »
that's what we were told by a dvla guy when we phoned to ask about procedure. i am sure that there is something in writing on their website.

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 09:17:26 PM »
I got my passport back within 2 weeks...they are really, really quick...I got it back before I got my provisional license.

Sponsored Links