Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Mom having a hard time... help  (Read 1183 times)

• Married March 21,2005!!!
    • My Myspace page
  • Liked: 0
Mom having a hard time... help
« on: May 01, 2005, 09:50:10 PM »
Hey everyone.
 My mom is having a hard time  with me leaving. she isnt upset she's happy for me, but she just gets sad sometimes.  See, to her everything there is diffrent. she's never been to the UK. I told her she will feel better when she comes but or now its this strange place and i try to show her photos and things and explain its a it diffrent from  here n  LA but its nice. Just beautiful.
  but i am the oldest and she's sad i am going so far away ( even tho when i was a kid i told her i was marrying someone English or Irish parents dont listen  i was liek 5 then tho)

Does anyone have any advice to make her feel better?
 i am trying to see it her way i really am :( but i dont want her to feel so badly.

Shala
Married to the most wonderful man in the world. Patrick Mulcrone. March 21,2005.  :) Temporarily back in the USA! Missing him! If you need advice I am here for you!

Re: Mom having a hard time... help
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 10:16:02 PM »
Hi...congrats on your marriage! I didn't know you had gotten married, though I've been really busy and not on UK Yankee as much as usual. Did you post some wedding photos?

Anyway, I know what you're going through. My mom is the same. She is supportive, but keeps saying how much she wishes I was back and how much they miss me and the twins etc. It has been sooooo hard!

I hope once your mom comes to visit she will see that you're safe and happy.

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 06:05:53 PM »
I'm moving to the UK in July and my mom is not happy about this at all!  She views the move as "losing me."  Even though I try to reassure here that I am only a plane trip away this doesn't seem to help.  In fact, last night when I showed her my settlement visa, she said "I don't like it." I hope, in time, that she will adjust to this.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 06:46:09 PM »
Does she have a computer and a web cam, and do/will you?

Net meeting helps my family from missing me so much.  :)
Never hold Farts in. They travel up your spine and to your brain. This is where sh*tty Ideas come from.

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 06:51:41 PM »
up until today my mom has been finding any invalid excuse for me not to go. She seems to have accepted it better and is taking a more emotionless view of it. Of course, it's still 3months away. She will guilt trip me a lot, I know it. I'm setting up webcam meetings w/ my sister b/c she is having a baby while I'm gone and I"m already Godmother to her first one. I can't imagine not seeing them.

I highly recommend the webcam idea.
Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

• Married March 21,2005!!!
    • My Myspace page
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 07:17:05 PM »
i plan on sending DVDs we got a dvd recorder and it works in the PC.. so that shoud be good. and yeah they know how to use the PC just now learning how to use Instant maessanging ( lord help me if they learn Lol)
 but that would be good they have email i may make an account JUST for them so they feel special.'
 i want to be with my husband and i have never REALLY lived way from ome like pernamntly. I am nhot scared of that.i just dont want my aprents to feel abandoned. i am the oldest.
 just me and my sister. who is 3 years younger than me. we are both in our late 20s okay i turn 30 in decemmber BWAH!
  but you know ..
  my parents are kinda controling so.. i dont think they are handeling this too well. its not  for them to do anything about.
  S.
For those of u who's parents are taking it hard i understand *(HUGS(  once they visit it will be better i knwo it will.
and man once u acutally COME BACk. its like a baby left at the babysitter. boy i used to throw a fit when my mom would leave. but when she came back i was fine..
ukjow.. gotta teach them the old school ways. lol
*HUGS*
SHala
PS I love to make friends so u can email me :)
Married to the most wonderful man in the world. Patrick Mulcrone. March 21,2005.  :) Temporarily back in the USA! Missing him! If you need advice I am here for you!

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 07:18:56 PM »
My mom still has a hard time with me being far away.  It helped that they came to visit in March but she was in tears when we said our good-byes.  I don't feel that far away from them, but she notices the difference and it's hard for her.  Calling once a week at least helps and emailing frequently..  
She'll come around eventually.  It's just hard at first because so much is unknown to you and her.  When you're settled, it gets easier.
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• London Rollergirl
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 07:42:15 PM »
It was hard on my mum at first because shortly after I transfered to UK my Dad and her separated ( well a nearly a year later ) she moved to FL and was in a new area. She was pretty much a kept woman while married to my dad...everything was sorted by either my dad or me and now she had to sort things out for herself (ie rent , phone bill - which btw she didn't know bills came every month) I tried to offer her the most comfort in my first year away in the UK by calling once a week and sending her care packages....then eased off to now calling her once a month. She finally came to visit 2 years later and got to see where I live , my inlaws , friends ...my mates even flew over to Fl they stopped over to say hi and brought her videos of our gatherings in the UK...so long story short ....it's an adjustment period for everyone  that eventually will fall into place as long as you keep a good level of communication fingers crossed for you  :). Good luck.
But never fear, gentlemen; castration was really not the point of feminism, and we women are too busy eviscerating one another to take you on.

Sponsored Links