Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How long did it take for you to find a job in the UK? (London advice especially)  (Read 1479 times)

• Liked: 0
So it sounds like (and I could be wrong), based on what you write about the different jobs you've had - you've used the same skillset in different industries (estate agent, legal, financial).  So is it just particular office skills they're looking for rather than knowledge of a specific industrial field?

(sorry for all the questions - but am just becoming VERY interested in the possibility of moving to London and have thus become a packrat for info at this point.  :-)  My boyfriend is pleased but puzzled considering how against the thought of moving to the UK I'd been a couple months back...  ;-))

When you say 'they,' that is an enormous sweeping generalisation.  I can't speak for 'them,' however, I have extremely fast typing skills, and extensive knowledge of computer software, organisation, etc.  Basically I'm a high level secretary.  Pretty much everyone needs one, regardless of industry.  And since I wasn't looking for any particular industry to work in, and I wanted to get to know London, I took whatever sounded good.  In the job I have now, I'm extremely lucky, not only because of what I stated before, but they were looking specifically for someone who could type really really fast and read the guy's handwriting!  They did not care about a legal background - they didn't want a 'legal secretary'.
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

When you say 'they,' that is an enormous sweeping generalisation.  I can't speak for 'them,' however, I have extremely fast typing skills, and extensive knowledge of computer software, organisation, etc.  Basically I'm a high level secretary.  Pretty much everyone needs one, regardless of industry.  And since I wasn't looking for any particular industry to work in, and I wanted to get to know London, I took whatever sounded good.  In the job I have now, I'm extremely lucky, not only because of what I stated before, but they were looking specifically for someone who could type really really fast and read the guy's handwriting!  They did not care about a legal background - they didn't want a 'legal secretary'.

Ok, thanks for all the info.  :)

You're welcome.  :)
(I didn't mean to sound harsh if I did, keep the questions coming if you need to!)
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

• Liked: 1
It took me 4 months to find a permanent job in London, but I did temp work up untill then.  I had to start lower than I would have in the States, but I have found that I have moved up much quicker than my British counterparts.  This could just me me or my field, but I do find that there are a number of Americans, Canadians and Aussies who have had a similar experience to mine.
"It doesn't matter what you do in the bedroom as long as you don't do it in the street and frighten the horses."   Mrs Patrick Campbell (1865-1940) English Actress

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab