Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Web Site Adequacy  (Read 662 times)

Web Site Adequacy
« on: May 08, 2005, 04:58:11 PM »
British consulates are turning off telephone access for visa-related enquiries in favour of an external provider and the various web sites operated by the Home Office and the FCO.  If you have used their of these to file an application recently, please take part in this survey!

• Liked: 2
Re: Web Site Adequacy
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 07:27:36 AM »
I've found the website a bit confusing.  You really need to SEARCH for the right answer -- and the answer isn't always RIGHT THERE.  The directions are NOT helpful or complete. 

I don't know why they just don't make it all so straight forward.  THAT would be the best answer -- but then again -- it would make it too easy.... for THEM.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 09:24:00 AM »
I think the problem is that the people who design the website aren't the people who have ever needed to find the information and have no real user knowledge of the phrases and terms that we would look for - just the "technical" or legal ones.  But that's true for any type of government website or software - those who design it are rarely those who actually use or need it on a daily basis.  :-\\\\
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• York Interweb
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 08:56:17 AM »
Not user friendly. I haven't been able to get all the answers I need without resorting to phone calls or outside help. And even when I have been able to find the proper info, it's taken a bit of searching.  (Can someone please tell me why all leave to remain applications, included marriage-related ones, can be accessed from the "working in the uk" section?)

And I'm pretty internet savvy.  Imagine someone who isn't very experienced with computers, or only has limited access (though a library or a school, for a few hours a week, for example), and needs to find an answer quickly.

(Above refers to the IND Home Office website.)

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 02:37:03 PM »
A modest survey with pretty much the expected results.  For the mode, people find that's basically ok, with one or two remaining questions which they can answer elsewhere.  And some comments in the thread about their site design and friendliness.   

IMHO, the britainusa site is pretty clear about what's needed, and a UK/US couple who followed the instructions on that site and nothing else (i.e., ignored other sources) would be successful about 99.99% of the time.   The policy is not geared to refusing too many UK/US applications for family creation in the first instance - it's something they want.   

I suspect that the confusion people experience does not come from the web sites themselves, but rather from conflicting (and sometimes misleading) information on the internet in general.   Also there seems a tendancy to co-mingle evidence needed for one visa with another visa - we see that a lot here also - people assembling an  amorphous jumble of evidence - only to find that the ECO looked at a small portion of it (i.e., just the relevant bits to the application being filed).

Thanks to everyone who took part! 

• York Interweb
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 12:06:34 PM »

I suspect that the confusion people experience does not come from the web sites themselves, but rather from conflicting (and sometimes misleading) information on the internet in general. Thanks to everyone who took part! 

If this is true, then it's even more important that people be able to contact the Home Office or the various Consulates when they have questions. People turn to second-hand, and possibly conflicting or misleading, sources of information because no one answers the phone, responds to emails, etc.

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 08:51:10 PM »
If this is true, then it's even more important that people be able to contact the Home Office or the various Consulates when they have questions. People turn to second-hand, and possibly conflicting or misleading, sources of information because no one answers the phone, responds to emails, etc.

It's my experience that they will respond to an email if the enquiry is well framed and concise.  If it's vague or they don't have enough information to go on, then it's different and they don't have to meet their commitment.  There was a good thread here last year about what to put in the email to get better results, but I can't find it now.   :-\\\\   I wouldn't send them email to ask a question, but rather if someone's going to miss their interview, or something similar where it was important to be expedient.

Are people sending email directly to the head of the visa section, like Mrs Jacqueline Cerdan in NYC, or to the consulate's general email address?  Or to the web site "info" address?  What address are people using?  Is anybody using fax?

Sponsored Links