Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK Taxis  (Read 1797 times)

• Liked: 24
UK Taxis
« on: August 10, 2003, 05:46:01 PM »
I was watching UK's Worst Taxis (or Mini Cabs) the other night, and I was really shocked to hear that there were 40+ rapes in cabs in the UK (last year/in the last year, whatever it was) and some 200 assaults. This was intended to mean by the drivers!

I couldn't find mention of this program on the BBC site now, but they recommend for your own safety to only take cabs that you have called for from a registered service, and not use the street cabs. Many of the street cabs are not legal, drivers have false insurance, some driving with no MOT, and even worse. Everyone be careful with cabs please! :-/

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 0
Re: UK Taxis
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2003, 06:05:27 PM »
I saw a program like that!  When I first got here, Andrew made a specific point to show me the cabs that are "good" and told me I was only allowed to take those.  :-)  (He's so sweet.)  Although I think I'm pretty street wise, it does scare me... cause you never know.  (On that note, I've never had to take a cab here...)
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2003, 06:45:53 PM »
Yeah, I've heard about that. Jon made sure I knew about it when I moved here. He told me to never accept a ride from someone asking me if I need one (ie taxi drivers asking me to use them.)

We have so many companies around here, but we really only use one, they're the best and they're based right around the corner from us. Plus they know us by now, I'm the hip American.  ;D
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2003, 09:45:41 PM »
Good advice to know, thank you!
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2003, 10:04:12 PM »
I didnt see the programme, but i assume they were talking about mini-cabs, not proper taxis?

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2003, 11:48:39 AM »
Hmmm, I didn't realize there was a difference.  ???

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2003, 12:25:31 PM »
I saw that program too and it *was* mini-cab drivers or basically just cabs without licensing! I have a story about this, actually. The friend of a girl I work with took an unlicensed mini-cab home from a club in London in the wee-hours of the morning (many patrol the streets at this time. It's often hard to get a registered cab after 2 or 3am,I hear). Her friend was drunk & stupid for taking the cab in the first place, but had the presence of mind to jump out of the cab and *RUN* to the nearest house after the driver drove him out of London and pulled a knife on him and started beating him up for money. Fortunately, he got away from the criminal with just a few bruises, but I wonder if tourists are told about the dangers of unlicensed cabs in their travel literature- I can imagine they get victimised often because as anyone who has been stranded late at night in a strange area knows, the sight of *anyone* to help you is welcome! It's just important to know who you can trust.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2003, 12:27:33 PM by jennydee »

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2003, 01:14:28 PM »
proper London "taxis", which are mostly shaped like the traditional London taxi (though not necessarily black anymore) are licenced by the Public Carriage Office to ply for 'public hire' with the HIRE light in/on them and are the only ones which are allowed to do so. The drivers have to pass a series of exams - not just the well-known Knowledge Of London one - before they can work and the licence can be withdrawn if they misbehave. If you hail one and he stops then he must, by law, takes you to where you wish to go (within 12 miles/one hour). Taxis can be scarce late at night
'cabs' or 'minicabs' are subject to far less regulation and quite a few criminals work as drivers. They are not allowed to ply for hire, (but many try to do so) they can only be detailed to go to an address and pick up a pre-arranged 'fare' who has phoned a cab firm.
see http://www.tfl.gov.uk/pco/

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2003, 03:25:30 PM »
The easiest way to find a taxi late at night is at an approved taxi rank - found outside major hotels, train stations etc. Learn where they are in your area and go and stand by one rather than wandering around aimlessly looking. Always make sure it looks like a London cab, or a normal car painted in your town's official taxi colours. In Leeds for example taxis must be painted with white sides and a black hood and boot. Other towns they may be painted green or yellow.  It should also have a taxi light on the roof or dashboard. As well as a meter for the fare. Any other kind of taxi - officially known as mini cabs, are not allowed to pick you up from taxi ranks, and always have to be booked in advance over the phone or at the office/base.

Alternatively learn where the mini cab booking offices are located in the area and go there and ask for one. By Law they have to record the booking and the driver assigned, which will help if you need to go to the Police later.

You can always phone your favourite firm but make sure you get in the right cab, not the first car that pulls up, ask what firm they are with, or look for a company logo somewhere.

When you get in make sure you can see the taxi licence number, usually found on the passenger side of the front window. No licence, get straight out as soon as you can.

Basically problems occur when you wander around drunk and get in the first car that looks like a cab, which is not something you'd ever consider doing sober. ::)

Apart from the danger of rape or mugging, if you get into a minicab - even a reputable one that you use all the time, without making an advance booking, then their taxi insurance is invalidated so if you are in a crash, you won't get a penny.

Any driver driving around with the window down asking people if they want a taxi can't be any good. If he was a decent cabby he'd work for a reputable firm that was snowed under with advance bookings. So either he's working for a firm that noone books, which is not a good sign, or he isn't a taxi driver at all, which is even a worse sign.

It's common sense really, apart from the safety implications, getting into any old car means you won't know which firm to phone if you leave your keys or phone etc, on the back seat. [smiley=dozey.gif]

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2003, 04:19:37 PM »
Thank you Jon and Curious Brit for enlightening me/us on the differences and sharing some good advice. :)

As an afterthought, do we have any sort of similar problems in US metro areas? I'm a small town girl myself, wouldn't have thought of such things.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2003, 04:21:45 PM by admin »

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2003, 09:56:38 PM »
or a normal car painted in your town's official taxi colours. . [smiley=dozey.gif]

In my town, Guildford, the taxis are not painted a specific color, but they do have a special licence from the Council, with a licence number and the council logo on the back of the car-so it's important to find out how to recognize the licenced taxis in your town.

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2003, 12:58:14 PM »
in London taxis have a white plate on the rear with a licence number and 'Hackney Carriage' on it (which is what they still are for legal purposes, even though they haven't been drawn by horses for nearly a century and don't look like something out of a Sherlock Holmes movie)

• Liked: 4
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2003, 12:04:17 PM »
GOSH.....never realized.  wished I would have seen the program.  Thanks for the info guys...I'll be sure to pass this on to all my visiting relatives/friends.  
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

Sponsored Links