Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Questions about the fiancee visa  (Read 2118 times)

Questions about the fiancee visa
« on: August 13, 2003, 09:08:31 PM »
Hello everyone and thanks for running this forum!  It has truly been a blessing  :) I am still a bit confused about the requirements for obtaining a visa to go marry my beautiful fiancee who lives in Wales.  Here is some background first.  We met a little over two years ago online (yeah I know...)and we were good friends for a good portion of that time.  I grew to love her well over a year ago but didn't know the feeling was mutual until March of this year.  We have never met in-person, and most of you will not understand why we want to get married without having met in-person.  I plan to go to Wales in October, and marry in January.  The gap is basically just in case things don't work out, though neither of us honestly have any doubts.  Here are the questions if you're still awake ;)

1)  When the application mentions proof of knowing each other, what can I provide?  Keep in mind we've never met in-person, though I've logged hundreds of hours through phone cards, as has she.
2)  When they mention proof of not needing welfare-type benefits, any idea of how much I'm supposed to have in savings?
3)  I know I'm old for it, but is there a way that I can have a parent state they'd support me if needed until I can legally work there after our marriage?  My mother is willing to, but will it help or hinder?
4)  Big question...if I'm granted a fiancee visa, what happens after we get married?  Do I have to leave the country and then apply in the US to go back?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

• Liked: 0
Re: Questions about the fiancee visa
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2003, 11:09:01 PM »
Hi Lelandperrin, welcome to the boards.  You will find a huge amount of great information and that people here are so knowledgeable.  

First off a little grin here.  Thats how I met my finace.  I will live in Wales as well.  I'll be in Swansea.  How about you?  

I haven't done anything yet that will help a huge amount.  So instead of giving you all the wrong advice I'll just say welcome here I'm sure you will find all the information you need.

Good luck to you.  Take care.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2003, 11:10:47 PM by Kizmet122800 »
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2003, 11:13:02 PM »
Wow, I'll be living in Swansea as well lol!  Guess we'll be sharing a lot of info hehe :)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2003, 12:27:50 AM »
First off - I'm not sure anyone here actually applied for a Fiancee Visa without having met in person first.  You might want to rectify that with a visit by one of you to the other first.  I think there is a requirement that you have to show you HAVE met unless it's a matter of culture, as in an arranged marriage.  The way things are going, quite frankly, I'd be amazed if they granted a settlement visa to someone to come marry a person they'd never met before.   :-/

Assuming you overcome that hurdle, however, after the marriage takes place, you then apply for your FLR, which is Further Leave to Remain.  You do not need to leave the country for this.  You apply through the Home Office here in the UK.  There is now a fee for this application (was free up until 1st August this year), and the fee is more if you apply in person - which is what I think most of us would normally have suggested as it's done in one day and you don't have to worry about your passport getting "lost" in the mail.   :P  

Wish I could be more optimistic about getting the Visa in the first place - but the climate seems to be getting more and more *hostile* (for lack of a better word) towards people who want to move here for any other reason than for asylum.

And I won't go into that here...  :-X

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2003, 11:10:50 AM »
I agree with Peedal on this one, I'm afraid.

Proof that you have met is just that - photos, tickets showing you traveled, etc.  It would probably be very difficult for you to get a fiance visa without this.  They're pretty funny about it.

You also need to actually be engaged to go down this route.  They're going to want proof that the you have begun the planning for the wedding, that you have booked a venue, made plans for your future, etc.

As for money you need to have, there is no set amount because each person's circumstances are different.  If you're going to be here in October, you'll need to show that you have the funds to support yourself totally (or that she has funds enough to support you totally) until your wedding date.  I arrived in the UK three weeks before my wedding, so I didn't need a whole lot of funds in savings.  (I think I had about $1500 is all, in fact.)  I'm not sure if they would consider a parent as proof of support, and I would be surprised if they would consider a parent not in the UK as any kind of support.  But again, there are no set rules on this part.  It's a bit subjective, I'm afraid.

Have you ever been to the UK?  I strongly, *strongly* recommend a visit before you make any big changes to your life to come live here.  It's a HUGE adjustment, and unless you have at least a little bit of an idea of life here, you're likely to be very surprised at how hard moving here is.  I spent a month here before I made the decision to move, and even with that, I found so many things were different than I expected....it was not easy, and after 2 1/5 years I'm just now getting over the trauma of this move!  Just some unsolicited advice for you.  :)

Many of us here met our other halves online...so we understand how strongly you can feel for another person you haven't met.  :)  

Best of luck to you and yours!  Getting here and making a life here isn't easy, but if your heart wants it badly enough, you'll find a way!

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2003, 01:00:30 PM »
Just putting my 2p in and aggreeing with peedal and Wishstar. It can be difficult, in the current climate, for *anyone* to get a fiancee visa, and it does say on the application to have proof of having met each other - ad like peedal said it is specifically to help avoid arranged marriages for the sake of a visa. Unfortunately they won't just take your word for it - they want proof. It's usually cheaper to fly to the UK and vice cersa in the fall, I know our tickets are always cheaper after tourist season, so maybe a trip wouldn't be a bad idea. Also bringing old emails, old phone bills etc... that will help. Good , and sorry to be another downer.  :-/
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2003, 05:40:07 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys :)  Julie and I talked things over and we were thinking of a Plan B.  I go there as a tourist in October for let's say 3 months.  We get married, then I come back to the US and apply for my spouse visa.  Never having met face-to-face would no longer be an issue.  Is this idea a good one?

P.S. I've moved from one country to another before.  I lived in Ecuador for 12 years, so I have some practive adjusting to a completely different way of life, and I can honestly say I look forward to it ;)  Nothing against the US, but frankly the Metro-D.C. area sucks ;p

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2003, 06:07:22 PM »
Before you go over as a "tourist" make sure you know the worst case scenario of what could happen, which is what happened to both me and peedal, though in her case she actually got send back to the US. Read my story here: http://lessermoon.tripod.com/myimmigrationsaga/

They want to know you're actually a VISITOR, not just coming to the country to try things with your girlfriend and see if you want to get married. They'll want to see a return ticket, you'll have to have enough money on you to prove that you can actually sight-see (they didn't like the idea that I only had $1000 for 5 months, but at the end I convinced them I was living with David & he'd pay for things - they interviewed up both separately several times to make sure our stories matched), don't bring over items that could be condemning, like "settle down" things - don't bring picture frames, photo albums, decorations, etc. If you have a diary or journal, don't write in it "can't wait to move to England!" - they made photo copies of every page in my diary, and my address book, checkbook, bank statements, everything they could get their mean little hands on.

I'm not trying to scare you - I just want you to be aware that there's ALWAYS the "other" hand when considering moving to England like this. The rules are not designed to facilitate an inter-continental romance, in fact they seem to want to deter them. It's a catch 22 - don't want to marry until we spend time together, can't spend time together without practically getting married.  :-/ I, PERSONALLY, think you'd be safer to go over for 3 months, then go BACK to the US to apply for a fiancee Visa, then re-enter the UK again. It's more money, it's more time, but it's also following the way "they" like it to happen a bit more closely. I'm only saying this really because you haven't met before, and that unfortunately throws a kink in things, and means you need to be as "by the book" as possible. And tehnically they don't like it for people to enter the UK as a visitor and get married. People do it, all the time, but it's risky. Just my advice, and personal story - though obviously every situation is different, and I hope I haven't squashed you.  :-[
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2003, 07:12:02 PM »
Interesting, but my understanding is that I don't need a visa to go to the U.K. as a tourist?  Obviously I'll only be taking things that make it seem I'm visiting.  I'd be buying a round-trip ticket anyways because it's cheaper ;)  I'd have more funds than that with me for my stay so I don't see that being the issue.  I didn't think I'd be subject to an interrogation as a tourist that doesn't even need a visa to go visit.  Should I need to take bank statements and things of that nature just to go as a tourist???

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2003, 08:03:23 PM »
What they're trying to say is, if the immigration officers at passport control even suspect you are here for any  reason other than touring, they could (and have the right to do so) turn you away and send you back to the US on the next available flight.

Also, (and this is just my opinion)  you should not get married whilst you're here on a tourist visa.  Because when it comes time for you to apply for the spouse visa, they will wonder why you lied to the immigration officer at passport control when entering the country...you said you were here to tour, right? when in fact you came here to get married.

Why take chances on getting it messed up?  If not done properly you could be denied back into the country and you and your sweetie would be seperated for a very very long time, if not for good.

We don't mean to be discouraging.  It's just that we've already gone through it and pretty much know what's involved.  Another suggestion: read all of what it says on the web sites regarding immigration and do it the way the IND wants and you'll most likely have no problems.  You could save yourself a lot of time and stress by doing it their way.

Good luck and I hope all works out for you and yours.

Saffron

• I fell in love to be let down...
    • My Road to Recovery
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2003, 10:13:04 PM »
Thanks again for the feedback, I really do appreciate it.  Ok, so from what I'm understanding, it would be best for us to:

*Have me visit her for a while as a tourist there to stay with friends.
*Come back from the U.K. and once here in the U.S.A., apply for my fiancee visa.
*Fly back to the U.K. and get married

I can understand the logic behind this, and it does seem to be a way in which even a customs officer on a bad day wouldn't be able to object to.  Here's my question though because right now it's al one big mess in my head. If I did things this way, would I have to come back to the U.S.A. yet AGAIN after the wedding to apply for the spousal visa to go back to the U.K.?  I mean, I'm not dirt-poor or anything, but holy god I don't have the money to be spending $700 per trip that often.  It's kinda contradictory that they'd want me to prove I can survive without claiming benefits, while at the same time almost driving me to NEED benefits lol.  Again, I honestly do appreciate the feedback and support, and please forgive me if at any time my postings have not made that very clear =)
The search for my future ex-wife marches on...

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2003, 11:42:41 PM »
Leland, well first off be sure to join an airline frequent flyer club.  This could help in saving some money and won't cost you anything.  I am in Boston but I found flights really cheap in the fall or winter.  

Do you need to marry so quickly?  Can you make a visit to her for a few weeks and then she make a visit to you?  This will seem less suspicious to Immigration and give you the proof that is required.  If this works your way I think you'll be pretty lucky actually.  You'll find that most of us have been in love but separated for at least a year but usually more.  By the time I get married it will be 2.5 years.  Something to think about.

Anyway thats my two cents twice as it happens.  Hope it helps.  Just take a deep breath and go over it again.

Remember Immigration won't look fondly on you just cause you love her and don't want to live without her.  I guess try to see it from their viewpoint as well.  They can't have an open door policy.  Darn it all!! lol

Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2003, 02:15:27 AM »
No.  If you apply for a fiance visa and enter the country on it, after you get married you can STAY and apply for your Further Leave to Remain.  You have to pay a fee  (of course) but you DO get to stay.
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2003, 02:17:38 AM »
Thanks again for the feedback, I really do appreciate it.  Ok, so from what I'm understanding, it would be best for us to:

*Have me visit her for a while as a tourist there to stay with friends.
*Come back from the U.K. and once here in the U.S.A., apply for my fiancee visa.
*Fly back to the U.K. and get married

I can understand the logic behind this, and it does seem to be a way in which even a customs officer on a bad day wouldn't be able to object to.  Here's my question though because right now it's al one big mess in my head. If I did things this way, would I have to come back to the U.S.A. yet AGAIN after the wedding to apply for the spousal visa to go back to the U.K.?  I mean, I'm not dirt-poor or anything, but holy god I don't have the money to be spending $700 per trip that often.  It's kinda contradictory that they'd want me to prove I can survive without claiming benefits, while at the same time almost driving me to NEED benefits lol.  Again, I honestly do appreciate the feedback and support, and please forgive me if at any time my postings have not made that very clear =)

Your above outline is indeed the way it should be done.  I agree with Kizmet in that it might be a good idea for her to visit you one time is the states as well.

It's my understanding that you will not have to fly back to the US to apply for your spouse visa (providing you acquired your fiance visa first).  However,  you will have to pay an additional £155 to get it by mail or £255 in person.

Here's a leaflet from the IND's web site that might help you in understanding some of the rules.

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/default.asp?PageId=106

« Last Edit: August 15, 2003, 02:51:01 AM by saffron »

• I fell in love to be let down...
    • My Road to Recovery
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2003, 02:32:46 AM »
Ok, I can breathe a bit easier now.  I do appreciate the feedback more than you'll ever know :)  Julie is registering for this site now as well, so you may get hit with the UK side of the situation now  :P

That scenario is certainly not impossible.  Let's say I visit from the last week of October until beginning days of January (I soooo want christmas with her).  Then I come back (maybe with her for her to be here a week, meet the folks and whatnot), maybe we can hit N.Y. together and apply for the fiancee visa together, and then I'm off to Wales if everything goes according to plan...

Here's my challenge...find holes in my plans ;)
The search for my future ex-wife marches on...

Sponsored Links