Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Moving companies - Bekins, NorthAmerican, Mayflower  (Read 1073 times)

• Liked: 0
Moving companies - Bekins, NorthAmerican, Mayflower
« on: May 13, 2005, 04:32:08 AM »
Has anyone had any experience using any of these three companies. I have quotes from all three and know that they are well know and generally have a good reputation but don't know which one to go with.....

I am really worried about the destination agent. There seems to be such a large "grey area" in which they could add charges for things they consider ancillery services.....I know that they can charge 10% above the estimate at delivery of my stuff .....

Help ! I need to decide this week since our moving date is end of June.

Re: Moving companies - Bekins, NorthAmerican, Mayflower
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 12:08:10 PM »
You contract with one of these companies, but after that this business seems to be agents booking the services of other agents.  You might try finding out exactly who will do the packing and unpacking, if they will tell you.

Jim

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 01:35:58 PM »
We used Omega Shipping - out of NYC. they are a Mayflower agent.  When the goods arrived in the UK (finally) they are being delivered locally by a firm called EuroUSA.  I don't know if everything will come through in one piece, but I can't wait to get my propane grill fired up.  It's BBQ season! 

We had a few charges that were not on the quote, but we weren't really in a position to play hardball, either.  There was a 'fuel surcharge' of 327 USD and a pickup charge of 950 USD - in addition to the container costs and other stuff we agreed to.  We sent a few e-mails asking for explanations and offered to negotiate discounts with the shipper, but the good were already on the boat, so if we didn't ante up with the whole fee, we were doing to incur 'demurring charges' at the port.  God know what demurring charges are... so we just bit our tongues and sent a check like proper citizens.

We should have our stuff on tuesday.  YAY!! - I can wear a different outfit and drink my cosmos out of a real martini glass!

I would get EVERY charge on a quote - ask them about any fuel surcharge... our agents just said 'we're charging everyone for fuel' and that was that.  Good luck!!

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 08:23:46 PM »
Thanks for the "heads-up" on the fuel surcharge. That's exactly what I'm worried about....I will ask all three companies about that.

EURO-USA will also be the destination agent if I go with Bekins. Bekins has given me the best quote, but sometimes it doesn't pay off to go with the cheapest bid ....hm.....

I have met all of the agents for each of the companies that will do the packing and feel pretty good about the US side of things.

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 12:42:43 PM »
We used Omega Shipping - out of NYC. they are a Mayflower agent.  When the goods arrived in the UK (finally) they are being delivered locally by a firm called EuroUSA.  I don't know if everything will come through in one piece, but I can't wait to get my propane grill fired up.  It's BBQ season! 

We had a few charges that were not on the quote, but we weren't really in a position to play hardball, either.  There was a 'fuel surcharge' of 327 USD and a pickup charge of 950 USD - in addition to the container costs and other stuff we agreed to.  We sent a few e-mails asking for explanations and offered to negotiate discounts with the shipper, but the good were already on the boat, so if we didn't ante up with the whole fee, we were doing to incur 'demurring charges' at the port.  God know what demurring charges are... so we just bit our tongues and sent a check like proper citizens.

We should have our stuff on tuesday.  YAY!! - I can wear a different outfit and drink my cosmos out of a real martini glass!

I would get EVERY charge on a quote - ask them about any fuel surcharge... our agents just said 'we're charging everyone for fuel' and that was that.  Good luck!!

That's probably who I'm going with as well, can you please post after your stuff arrives and let us know how it went?
Maroon Passport Club!

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 10:26:31 PM »
The latest report - no goods yet.  We could have had the delivery Tuesday, but had to attend a family function.  Maybe next week?  The people at Euro-USA are nice, but not very firm about the scheduling... "we'll be in touch..."  right!  when??  ugh! I need my Frank's Red Hot!

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 06:11:52 PM »
Everything arrived - I wish I could report 100% ... we had a few breakages.  Very delicate champagne glasses, our everyday dishes, a covered vegetable dish made of china, a picture frame. all broken... not too bad, better than I expected, to be honest.  I have my Frank's Red Hot for wings, my martini glasses, zillion count king-size sheets and bed and a HUGE bbq grill for summer nights. 

All went well overall, but I look around a wonder why we spent so much money on things that might have been replaced, new, over here.  Moreover, there is simply no room to put anything that's been shipped, so it's headed for storage at the in-laws.  SERIOUSLY consider the square footage of where you are moving to -  and think long and hard about what is 'irreplacable'.  Photos & stuff, for sure, but I brought bedding & towels.   I could have saved on moving expenses and just bought the stuff new. 

Pack as much as you can into those boxes, since they charge by the cubic foot.  My wardrobes alond could have been packed fuller, but I thought it would be better if the clothes were on their own.  My moving company brought wardrobes the day of the move, so there was no way to pack them full -- my advice is to INSIST on having the wardrobes in advance and packing them to the gills.  There was a lot of wasted space, and expense there.    The movers were friendly and courteous.      ** Get your charges up front - ask about the fuel surgharge!  Best of luck!

• Me and my Brit
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 06:27:29 PM »
Good for you!!  Congrats on having all your own STUFF!!!!  Stuff is great - can't live without it! 

:)

~Liza
"Be not the slave of your own past - plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with a new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old."  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 06:29:41 PM »
totally!!  I'm just so glad to be wearing a different SHIRT after 8 weeks.  Halleleuia!!

• Me and my Brit
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 07:14:41 PM »
I will be a complete and total wreck, just to think about everything I own in the world floating across the ocean in a little box - it will freak me out!!

Good to know it works - at least some of the time!   :o

~Liza
"Be not the slave of your own past - plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with a new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old."  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab