Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Another Question About Provisional Drivers License...  (Read 801 times)

• Liked: 0
Another Question About Provisional Drivers License...
« on: May 16, 2005, 11:28:21 AM »

Hi guys..Hubby just got his provisional license and his passport back in less than two weeks. Phew..such a relief when some things go according to plan.

Could someone kindly clear this up for us ?

Ok so i know the provisional license will allaw you to drive for up to the one year anniversary and thereafter need to be accompanied by UK licensed driver.

Hubby's one year driving anniversary expired middle of July. We have so many errands to run that i dont think he would have time to prepare and get tested BEFORE the anniverysary date so would it be possible to schedule the tests ( i guess both theory and practical ) before the anniversary date but make the appointment AFTER the anniversary date so it gives him some time to prepare. In other words if you schedualed now for after July, would it still fall within the regulations of having completed all test's within the one year time limit.

We know you can drive with the provisional license with the " L " Plate but we wanted to avoid this...plus i think you have to drive for ONE YEAR with the L plates if you dont complete the tests before the anniversary date.

Hope i am making sense.

Cheers
Zu.

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Another Question About Provisional Drivers License...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 02:02:11 PM »
You can drive on your own with your US licence up to one year after you arrive the first time to live here and don't need the L plates.  With a provisional licence, once the one year has passed,  you have to have a licenced UK driver (with 2 years experience) with you.  You have to drive with the L plates.  If you get your full licence before your US licence expires, you don't have to worry about the extra driver or the L plates.  If you don't get it before that expiration date, then the rules of the provisional licence carry though. 

Note that your hubby needs to pass the Theory/Hazard test before he can even sign up for the Practical test and that the appointment times are at least 8-10 weeks out...I signed up last week and the earliest I could get was 5 July for my practical test. 

So...if he wants to have his licence before his expiration date arrives, he needs to get a move on it.  If he gets a few lessons, he should be fine by July.  Best of luck!

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 02:22:58 PM »
Hi Onetiger.

Thanks as ever for your reply.

Should he call or go in person to the DVLA office in Wembeldon to schedule the theory/hazard test ?

Also do you know how many times you can take the theory test (if you fail the first one)?

Cheers

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 03:10:27 PM »
I would sign up on the website - which is what I did.  And you can fail as many times as needed.  I would study with a good guide (either online or book) - usually quite cheap.  Or you can just study the Highway code:

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/drivers.htm

http://www.2pass.co.uk/

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 04:21:15 PM »

Thanks a Mill.
Wow what a relief...for some reason we thought that one had to drive with L plates for one year regardless of wether you take all tests or not...if you let the one year anniversary expire.

That is really welcome news...so if he doesnt get to finish all the exams in time, atleast we now know you can take it whenever and get the L plates removed as soon as you complete tests.

If you are not tired with my Q.'s here are my last  :))

BTW did you drive in the States ?
If so, i guess you assume you found it necessary to take classes...i know the MSM thing is very important.
Would you recommend your instructor ?
If so, how much did he charge you per hour ?

Thanks again for all your tips, really helpfull.
K.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 04:25:07 PM »

BTW onetiger..

The online site is down as well...so better luck tommorow.

Yes we do have the manual and CD for theory/hazzard test...thanks to a wonderfull lady on this forum who sent it to us as she had finished with it.

he hasnt made time to settle down and get cracking on it but im sure if you can schedule something before he leaves in July, he will for sure.

cheers

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 09:19:35 PM »
The BIG problem you run into with the expired anniversary is insurance.  Yeah, sure, the company will take your money, but if you have an accident they'll deny the claim.  Not good. 

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 11:04:32 PM »
Hi expat_in_scotland

thanks for the feedback..

We are actually on My fathers insurance plan back in Austria...he has added us on his plan for one year, but technically we need to do something in 6 months because the parking permit we have for our residence is only good for 6 months for those with foriegn license plates so i guess we are good for 6 months until we have to switch over to UK insurance, i have my UK license so i will probably get car registerd locally under my name until hubby gets his UK license.

Cheers
Zu.

Sponsored Links