Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Marriage... Am I legally married?  (Read 982 times)

• Liked: 0
Marriage... Am I legally married?
« on: August 16, 2003, 11:47:43 PM »
My husband is English, I am an American. In 1995 we married in England, after we got pregnant. I almost died due to being so ill. Once out of Basingstoke hostipal we saw into getting married. We went to the place in Alton Hampshire and filled out all the woman told us. I was just in England on a six month allowence due to my passport allowed this. I have read that we would or should have gotten a visa to be married. We did not. I came back to the states in August 1995, one month after getting married as I needed better health care then I was getting. Before I left England in 1995 I got a National Health number as they thought I was already married to David (my husband). My national health number has my maiden name on it. We were not married but I was so ill I did not know what was going on until after I got out of hospital and got a number in the post.  In the states, I had changed my US passport to my married name and they accepted the marriage papers I sent to them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hope I am worried about nothing. If you need more info please ask and I will give it. Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2003, 12:07:53 AM by Jess »

Re: Marriage... Am I legally married?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2003, 12:00:27 AM »
Jess, I'm a bit confused about your post.  You say that you were married in 1995.  I assume you married in the USA at that time?  Then you went to the U.K. and filed papers stating you were married and were issued the U.K. equivalent of a SSA number?  Or did you have a marriage ceremony there?  I, at least, am kinda lost and maybe some more details would help :)

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2003, 12:08:12 AM »
I changed it to make more sence I hope this helps!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2003, 01:16:35 AM »
Jess, you're married.  Don't worry!  As far as the National Insurance is concerned, I wouldn't even give it a thought, as you're obviously in the States and have been for some time.  Have you changed everything else to your married name, like Income Tax and SS?

Anyway, your marriage is legal and recognised in the US and the UK.  Don't fret.   ;D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2003, 01:20:10 AM »
Everything from SSI to taxes are changed. I was just hoping I haven't been "living in sin" for 8 years! Not that I didn't start out that way, but it started to concern me. Thanks. [smiley=heart.gif] [smiley=heart.gif]

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab