Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Nervous! Scary question on e-fastrack VAF2 app  (Read 786 times)

• Liked: 0
Nervous! Scary question on e-fastrack VAF2 app
« on: May 23, 2005, 02:36:25 PM »
I've begun filling out the e-fastrack application for my settlement visa, but I've noticed that it's slightly different (i.e. more detailed) than the paper/PDF version.

My husband and I have been a legitimate married couple for almost a year, but I do have something in my past that makes me nervous...

In 2003, my husband (then fiance) and I decided to apply for a fiance visa for him to come live in the US and marry me. I went to the UK in summer 2003, then went home for a few weeks, then went back in September 2003 to help him with the visa application. Well, as some of you may know, the US visa process is much more convoluted than the UK process, and it ended up taking about 10 months before he got his visa. I stayed with him in the UK throughout that time to help him and to be with him. Obviously, I overstayed, although I wasn't aware at the time that I was doing anything wrong.

On the e-fastrack VAF2 application, it asks whether I've visited the UK before, and THEN (this is the difference from the paper app), a text box pops up asking for the dates and duration of my visits.

Obviously, I can't lie (even though I know they most likely have no record of when I left the country), but will this screw up my chances of getting a visa? I didn't try to work while I overstayed, and all I want is to be with my husband!!! Please advise!  ???

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: Nervous! Scary question on e-fastrack VAF2 app
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 02:48:50 PM »
What exactly is your question?  Because you have to answer truthfully and what happens, happens.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 02:52:17 PM »
Of course I'll answer truthfully, but my question is whether anyone else has any experience of this and can guess what the consular officer's reaction might be (as in, "Oh, that was very bad, but since you've been honest and are legitimately married, we'll still issue your visa" OR "You are a terrible person who we don't want in this country. We know you're married, but tough s**t")  :-\\\\

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 03:49:43 PM »
Just answer the question truthfully, but get mentally ready to be summoned to the consulate for an interview, or get a telephone call, to explain that time period and any other gray areas on your application.

Jim

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 04:13:02 PM »
I've been filling out the application online, and I was expecting to be able to fill out the "Additional Information" section, like on the paper form. However, I got to the end of the application and it didn't offer any space for additional info. There wasn't enough room to explain my overstay, so should I just submit it as is (with overstay stated but not explained) or try and do a paper app (and either mail it or just bring it to the consulate on the day of my appointment) so that I can fill in my explanation? What's the best way, and am I right that there's no way to write in additional info on the e-fastrack app?

All advice is very much appreciated!  ???

• Liked: 7
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 04:42:03 PM »
You might try asking these guys, they know EVERYTHING!

http://www.immigrationboards.com/
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying:
"I will try again tomorrow"

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 10:40:25 PM »
(even though I know they most likely have no record of when I left the country),

If you debarked from within the UK on an international flight, then yes, the airline would have logged your passport number and confirmed your identity; and as of early last year - 2004, those databases became available to governments on *both* sides of the pond.  The airlines are acting as proxy in this way.  And by now, consular staff have all had their training on how to search.  That much is for absolute sure.

It does not mean they are going to check - I haven't heard of a single case where they actually checked.  And it doesn't mean they would do something if they did check.  But your assumption only says they have no record - and that's a way wrong assumption since last year.

And to "abercroft", yes, those guys are great! 

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 02:23:49 PM »
Thanks for the responses! Per Garry's suggestion, could you all give me some help as to how best to phrase my explanation of my overstay? I figure I should emphasize that I didn't enter intending to overstay, that I didn't work while I was there or use public services, and that I overstayed because of a personal matter with my husband (then fiance, i.e. I was doing all the work for getting him a US visa and it was a lot of work!).

Suggestions please!!  ???

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 02:37:20 PM »
I know the best thing is to be candid, but how deep into my explanation should I go? I mean, for practical reasons I overstayed to help with my husband's visa because he's useless at that kind of thing and didn't have time to deal with it because of work. For personal reasons, I overstayed (obviously) because I love him and honestly couldn't bear, emotionally or psychologically, to be away from him for that long.

It's the truth, but I feel like they'll scoff at me and not accept my explanation because it's so prosaic. Any opinions?

Sponsored Links