Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anyone harassed at work for being American?  (Read 7530 times)

• From Texas to North Yorkshire
  • Liked: 0
Anyone harassed at work for being American?
« on: August 21, 2003, 11:25:43 AM »
I'm just curious, since I'm harassed on a near-daily basis for being American.

Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated. -- Ulysses S. Grant

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
Re: Anyone harassed at work for being American?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 12:56:36 PM »
At my most recent job I was never harassed for being American, but one girl that worked there ( I worked in a shop, so worked with a lot of girls who were 16 etc) annoyed the h£ll out of me because of my Americanness. She'd pick up a vest: "Hey, what do you call THESE in America!" - or she'd screech (everything was in a screech and loud enough for the whole shop to hear "Ooh, say this word! Oh your accent! Tee hee!" and then after 10 minutes or so she'd say something like "Oh let me think, what else about America can we talk about" - she'd interrupt me when I was with a customer just to ask me (even though she knew) what a jumper was called back where I'm from. One day she harassed me all day about me doing a southern accent. I told her I didn't do one on demand, she wouldn't leave me alone and talked about Steel Magnolias all day. GOD I hated that twit.

So how are you harassed then? Where do you work - is it your co-workers or customers?
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 01:58:51 PM »
I wouldn't call it harrassment. They like to joke around. And I've always gotten that with every job here. I type a lot of letters and reports and such and without thinking I'll tend to use more 'American' ways of writing. That's when I get teased. Yeah, they like to joke about it, but I know it's all harmless fun. And I tend to give it back to them.

For example, I just started my new job. My boss came up to me a week or so ago and asked me if I minded being called a yank. I replied 'No, do you mind being called a limey?'  He had a good chuckle.

I tend to blow it all off. They're going to have a laugh at my expense and I get that everywhere, not just work. It's not a biggie. Plus, like I said, I know how to dish it back.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2003, 08:47:29 PM »
No.  We tend to take the piss at work-but everyone gets picked on equally.  I tend to get picked on for not paying attention to what I'm doing ;) and for being easily annoyed by and slightly short with customers.  
How are you being harrassed?  What are they saying?  I wouldn't work somewhere where I was harrased becuase of my nationality.  It's against the law.  I'd leave and take them to a industrial tribunal for constructive dismissal under the race relations act.  Is it possible that's it's personal and not your nationality?  

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2003, 02:02:20 AM »
I always assume.. (which is pretty dumb I guess) sometimes.. Or I just get paranoid I think that if I make a mistake or something at work that they think its cause I'm a dumb yank or something.. I tend to not talk much. Cause I dont think people really listen anyways..

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2003, 03:05:29 PM »
At my most recent job I was never harassed for being American, but one girl that worked there ( I worked in a shop, so worked with a lot of girls who were 16 etc) annoyed the h£ll out of me because of my Americanness. She'd pick up a vest: "Hey, what do you call THESE in America!" - or she'd screech (everything was in a screech and loud enough for the whole shop to hear "Ooh, say this word! Oh your accent! Tee hee!" and then after 10 minutes or so she'd say something like "Oh let me think, what else about America can we talk about" - she'd interrupt me when I was with a customer just to ask me (even though she knew) what a jumper was called back where I'm from. One day she harassed me all day about me doing a southern accent. I told her I didn't do one on demand, she wouldn't leave me alone and talked about Steel Magnolias all day. GOD I hated that twit.

So how are you harassed then? Where do you work - is it your co-workers or customers?

I'm an analyst at a software company so I don't have much contact with the customers, but my co-workers are really annoying.

I can't believe your colleague talked about Steel Magnolias.  Most people here have never even heard of it!  
Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated. -- Ulysses S. Grant

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2003, 03:07:05 PM »
No.  We tend to take the piss at work-but everyone gets picked on equally.  I tend to get picked on for not paying attention to what I'm doing ;) and for being easily annoyed by and slightly short with customers.  
How are you being harrassed?  What are they saying?  I wouldn't work somewhere where I was harrased becuase of my nationality.  It's against the law.  I'd leave and take them to a industrial tribunal for constructive dismissal under the race relations act.  Is it possible that's it's personal and not your nationality?  

It doesn't matter; people aren't allowed to harass you and make derogatory comments just because they don't like you.  I would think that the people harassing me for being American don't like me....otherwise they wouldn't harass me.

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2003, 06:37:20 PM »
No, but it's a different thing isn't it.  What I meant was are they specifically harrassing you for being American-using words to indicate that it's your nationality or is it because they don't like you and it's just you as a person-see they're two different things and if they are harassing you because of your nationality there are laws there to protect you and one would assume that they would harrass ANYONE who was American.  If it's you, could it be something you're projecting.  For instance, you make it pretty clear that you don't like England or the English-could they have picked up on this?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2003, 06:38:03 PM by 12yearsandcounting »

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2003, 04:49:09 AM »
No, but it's a different thing isn't it.  What I meant was are they specifically harrassing you for being American-using words to indicate that it's your nationality or is it because they don't like you and it's just you as a person-see they're two different things and if they are harassing you because of your nationality there are laws there to protect you and one would assume that they would harrass ANYONE who was American.  If it's you, could it be something you're projecting.  For instance, you make it pretty clear that you don't like England or the English-could they have picked up on this?

It doesn't matter; harassment of this kind shouldn't be allowed to continue.  They are the ones who are wrong, not me.  

I started to dislike the English after I started working at this company because of the way I am treated...before I started working there, I rather liked the English.

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2003, 11:13:38 AM »
Of course it's unacceptable, and no where did I say it was acceptable.  In fact I believe I gave you sound advise-leave and take them to an industrial tribunal for constructive dismissal under the race relations act.  The race relations act actually covers  harrassment  because of nationality as well as race.
BUT, I feel that asking if this is personal is a very valid question.  You began this discussion say 'I'm harrassed on a near daily basis for being American'.  This is an extremely loaded statement and because it IS covered by the race relations act is an ENTIRELY different thing than people not liking you.  
Really, Stacey, why are you still there?  Why put up with it?

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2003, 12:26:43 PM »
When l first began this job l have now, one of the managers told me that l will have to try harder because l am American and we don't trust you yet!

UM, ok and your point is? He said that since l come from America, that "We Irish" don't know you and therefore don't trust you. Ok, fine, l am here in your country, (leaving out the history of NI, mind you) l don't trust you either!
He replied, What l mean is, you have to let folks get to know you. No one here knows you, and if they have Tea you have tea. If they offer you a scone, you eat it. If they invite you to go to lunch, you go. If you don't do these things we tend to believe you have something to hide! We take it personally if you don't take what we offer you!

Ok so, what if l don't drink tea, or l am not hungry/ or on diet or what if l don't have any money to go to lunch? You are not going to trust me because of that?? What if l don't want to share my personal history? What if l am a shy person?
It's tough enough to try and "fit in" in a work place, let alone try HARDER because you're American.

Well, now five months on l am still there! l have made some friends. Not close ones, but l have made some aquaintences. This job ends in 4 weeks and then l must move on to something much better and hopefully more money! And do this all over again! UGH!!

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2003, 01:06:32 PM »
I've been harassed at work for being married to an American!  I keep getting comments about "American's are stupid!" or "American's are arrogant!".  Although this is sometimes true, it can be said that more British people are arrogant, patronising and stupid.  They know that I have an american wife, and I know that I'm going to get some crap from them 'cause I married one.  But they seem to want to ask me about every american story that goes on!

Usually I say....."Well Elle's definitley not stupid" or "sorry I don't really now what the policy is of the US government on this issue...'cause I'm English!" or "you can't say it's the american's fault every time, especially when you say that they've only copied us for the most part anyway!"

Tends to be just a waste of time saying anything.  So usually I don't say anything at all and don't enter into a conversation about it, I've had to do this with their racism in other areas also.  I just count this as just another facet of their open racism.  Which for some reason you don't here any of when any very tall black men come in the shop! lol  I wonder why....

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2003, 01:17:23 PM »

It doesn't matter; harassment of this kind shouldn't be allowed to continue.  They are the ones who are wrong, not me.  

I started to dislike the English after I started working at this company because of the way I am treated...before I started working there, I rather liked the English.

You see, you have to be careful here too.  You can't fall into the same trap of racism!  Meaning....I used to like your sort, until I met some that really pissed me off, now I hate them all! Isn't that racist in itself.  Because I'm English and I could very easily take offense to that statement if I felt so inclined.  ;)  but I won't...

If you replace all that you said with *american/americans* would you regard that as racist?  and would you say "HOLD ON!!  How can you judge me from what other people who come from where I do are?  They're not me and I don't want you to judge me in this way!  Wait till you know me rather than taring me with the same brush"

I agree with harassment being unacceptable.  There is a process to go through if you don't like the treatment that you're getting.  Firstly tell them that you don't like them talking that way around you and you find extremely offensive.  I bet they'll be very surprised!  If not and they continue, tell your boss.  If he's the one harassing you or if he doesn't take it seriously. File a grievance!  I'm sure they'll say "We were only joking with you...." you have to tell them that it's not a joke to you when they talk about the place where they're born this way, and how would they like you saying similar about the queen and England, Scotland and Wales?

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2003, 02:48:42 PM »

you have to tell them that it's not a joke to you when they talk about the place where they're born this way, and how would they like you saying similar about the queen and England, Scotland and Wales?

What about Northern lreland?? huh, you forgot NI!!  ;D  Should l take this personally??  ;D ;)

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2003, 01:30:06 AM »
Of course it's unacceptable, and no where did I say it was acceptable.  In fact I believe I gave you sound advise-leave and take them to an industrial tribunal for constructive dismissal under the race relations act.  The race relations act actually covers  harrassment  because of nationality as well as race.
BUT, I feel that asking if this is personal is a very valid question.  You began this discussion say 'I'm harrassed on a near daily basis for being American'.  This is an extremely loaded statement and because it IS covered by the race relations act is an ENTIRELY different thing than people not liking you.  
Really, Stacey, why are you still there?  Why put up with it?

Honestly, Mindy....because I can't find another job.  They're thin on the ground at the moment.  If I could find another one, I'd leave.  I can't just up and quit; there are bills to be paid.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab