Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Where to start?  (Read 1480 times)

• Liked: 0
Where to start?
« on: May 27, 2005, 12:09:44 AM »
Im planning on moving to the london area in january or maybe a bit earlier alone.  I have family there and have always wanted to move there and im thinking that now would be a great time to go.  My two best friends have moved away, Im sick of LA, ive had my heartbroken twice in a row and both were very harsh, the recent one was 2 days ago and that was just the icing on the cake. 

I was wondering how i would go about looking for a place to live.  All i really need is my own bedroom, i dont mind sharing a bathroom, but it would be nice to have my own and it needs to be furnished as i am living with my mom and have no furniture that is my own. :)  all i require is that the bedroom have windows and be a decent size.  What are some sites that i could start to look @ it to see how much a place will cost?

• Liked: 2
Re: Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 05:29:15 AM »
I would start by finding out about visa information.  Would your present company be able to transfer you to the London office? Work permit?  If they can do that -- then it's possible they would be able to help you get started re-locating.

I'm sorry about your heartbreak - believe me -- time heals all wounds.   [smiley=clover.gif]

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 07:55:35 AM »
Actually, my dad is English so its easy to get a british passport.  :)

As for the company, ill only be 21 when i get there so ill need to find a job at a retail store, or doing office work, or even @ pub/restaurant. 

How much money should i intend on coming over with?

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 08:13:06 AM »
Also sorry to hear about the heartache.  I think most of us on this board have survived a few or more! 

I would check out sites for flatmates...there are a few.  Here's an example:  http://www.moveflat.co.uk/My/West_Hampstead/   You can plug in almost any town in London and there will be listings.
I would also look at craigslist and loot.com, and easyroommate (UK version)

London is very expensive even if you are sharing (which I am) and it all depends on where you want to live.  In northwest London within Zone 1-3, you can expect to pay around £500+/month plus other expenses depending on how many people you are willing to share with.  You'll need to have at the least first month's rent, and a six week deposit (most places will list by the week...a month's rent is equal to 4.3x the weekly rent).  They may also want a reference.  So...you'll have to have quite a LOT of money saved, not only for your first outlay of rent but also other expenses (travel, food, ect).

Best of luck to you.   :)

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 07:48:59 PM »
Im actually looking to live somewhere between Zone 4 and Zone 5, will that lower the price of rent @ all?

Also, is there any way that i can secure a place to live before i arrive in london or no?

Thanks
Michelle

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 06:42:28 PM »
The further out from London the cheaper it will be.  You probably could secure one but I wouldn't at all - you might end up with someone completely groddy that the estate agent wanted to get off his/her hands.  Many of us found a place quickly and were in within a few weeks.  If you have any friends or family here, I'd suggest staying with them for a search.

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 08:36:34 AM »
Thanks.  Once i thought about i wouldnt actually want to get one before i arrive, i wouldnt want to be stuck in dump. :)

I like what ive found on accommodationlondon.net and am thinking of geting a single occupancy studio flat or a room in a house share that will hopefuly have its own tv and mini kitchen and staying there for about 3 months.  Its well priced i think, i think the room in the house came out to 420 pounds a month and the studio flat came out to 600 pounds.  If i could get a room with my own tv and mini kitchen in a house then that would be great and save me a lot of money. :)

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 11:41:54 AM »
Try www.gumtree.com...you might find something good on there.

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005, 04:30:48 PM »
The further out from London the cheaper it will be.  ....
Not sure that "cheaper" is a word I'd use in relation to housing in London, .... maybe "less expensive"! ::)

I also think that generally the further out you go the safer the neighborhoods - there are plenty of parts of central London that I wouldn't recommend, but eight-ten miles out from the center, and still in zones 3-4 there are many nicer areas.

Sponsored Links