Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What are the differences between a flat and a bedshare?  (Read 1652 times)

• Liked: 0
What are the differences between a flat and a bedshare?
« on: May 28, 2005, 07:36:49 AM »
My move isnt untill the middle of January :) but ive been looking on gumtree.com and accommodationlondon.net just to see what i can expect when i get there and im starting to get confused by these terms that idont understand.

Whats a bedsit?

Also, all im really looking for is a place where i can possibly have my own bedroom, i dont mind sharing a bathroom or a kitchen or a lounge, just as long as i can have my own bedroom with my own DVD player i will okay.   What exactly is that called over in the UK and how do i find it?

Is accommodationlondon.net a good place to get a place to stay for a temporary time?

Also, when i first get there, im moving alone but have aunts there, im obivously going to need to start looking for a job.  For a couple of nights would a hostel be a good place to stay? 

Any information about this would be great! :)

Thanks
Michelle

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: What are the differences between a flat and a bedshare?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 08:37:07 AM »
Ummm, if you are American you can't just come over here, find a place to live AND just start working. It's illegal  ------- unless you have the correct visa!  :) Is your mother British?

Hostels are fine for a few nights or more.

A flat is an apartment - without rooomates unless it specifies so.

A bedsit, if I"m not mistaken, is what we would call a 'studio' apartment -very small with no separate bedroom.

For a place to share but with your own bedroom, you might consider a house or apartment share.

Someone, will no doubt, correct me if I'm wrong!

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 04:36:09 PM »
I THINK (not 100% certain) that a bedsit is just a private room in a house that shares a kitchen and a bathroom. I think it's even less than a studio. Though I have a good friend in London who's a professional woman in her 30s who's lived like that for years and years and loves it - so depending on the situation I don't think it's as bad as it sounds.  :)

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 06:35:43 PM »
A bedsit is a room that usually shares a lounge, bathroom, and kitchen.  Although it seems like a lot of bedsits will have their own little kitchenettes.  This might work for you.  You can also do a flatshare where you would get your own bedroom in a flat but share everything else.

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 10:59:23 PM »
Balmer,

Chelsea has a British father and is a dual national.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2005, 11:04:29 PM »
Chelsea has a British father and is a dual national.

Oops! My fault! Good luck then!  ;D
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 07:20:37 AM »
I've stayed in several different bedsits... they are usually a flat, divided up into smaller 'studio' flats. 
You share the bathroom, and sometimes share the kitchen.  But a lot of times they have their own kitchenette in the room. 
You normally dont share a lounge, either... the lounge of the flat is usually converted into a room of its own.  It doesnt make financial sense for the landlord to offer a shared lounge, when the lounge could be made into another bedsit, so more ££ for the landlord.

The last bedsit i had, my room had previously been the lounge.  It was very large (old Glasgow tenement), and i had the big bay window!   :)  There was (all in the same room) a single bed, a couch, a dresser, a wardrobe,  a fridge, cooker & sink.  So i think the studio apartment with shared bathroom is the closest comparison.

That's probably what you want to look for, Chelsea.  The other alternative would be your own room in a shared flat.... that;s not called a bedsit, it's usually called a flatshare.  It's usually where the owner of the flat is renting out bedrooms, so you would, in this case, be sharing a lounge, kitchen and bathroom.   For me, that's not enough privacy.... i'd go for a bedsit, especially if it had a kitchenette in the room.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 07:24:31 AM by otterpop »

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 08:10:40 AM »
Thank you very much everyone! :) It all makes more sense to me now. 

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2005, 10:07:54 AM »
The term bedsit comes from a combination of bedroom and sitting room, the latter being a alternate British term for a living room.
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

Sponsored Links