Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How am I supposed to find a flat?  (Read 791 times)

• Liked: 0
How am I supposed to find a flat?
« on: May 28, 2005, 08:30:34 AM »
Hi there,

Im planning on moving to london in the middle of january, however i am a bit worried about how i am going to find a flat.  I currently live @ home with my mom (im 20) and im wondering how i will get a flat without any references from places ive lived before and i wont have a job right when i get there, so is there hope for finding a flat?

Any help would be great! :)

Thanks
Michelle

Re: How am I supposed to find a flat?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 04:38:33 PM »
Assumming you're here legally, you would have to have someone guarantee your rent. That's what happened to me when I first got here - I had a friend of my (then) bf sign a document saying that if I didn't pay, he would. Or you could have a relative in the US do it. But with no references, no job, and no bank account, I'm afraid that's going to be your only option.....

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 08:33:25 PM »
I'll be there legally.  My dad is british so it is simple to get a passport.  My aunt will be living not too far from where i want to find a flat.

would it be a better idea to stay in like a hostel for like the first 2 weeks until i am able to find a job, even if it is temporary?

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 02:46:31 PM »
I'd definitely wait until you're here. IMHO, it's just too hard to know what you're getting without taking a first-hand look at the property and the neighbourhood.... You'll need a job and a bank account to avoid the guarantor thing. Maybe your auntie would be willing to be your guarantor once you have a job and can assure her that you're good for the rent?

• tenez dessus fortement sur vos rĂªves
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 05:29:11 PM »
cant you stay with your aunt temporarily, until you find a flat
its a far better thing i do than i have ever done

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 08:25:17 AM »
I can possibly stay with my aunt for a short period of time, but not that long b/c she has a 3 bedroom house and 2 small children which means the house is full, so if i wanted to stay there then id be sleeping on the floor which isnt too bad, but im sure ill be there for a few nights.

AnneR-Heres what i was thinking.  I really like what ive seen on accommodationlondon.net so i was thinking of either getting a studio flat or a room in a house for 3 months and in that 3 month time spend my time looking for a job and getting settled in and what not and then once ive gotten a job then start looking for my own place.  Does that sound like a good plan to you?

« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 08:28:12 AM by ChelseaFCgirl »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab