Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Adding UK spouse to US Bank Account  (Read 1176 times)

• My Girl
  • Liked: 0
Adding UK spouse to US Bank Account
« on: June 01, 2005, 04:29:51 PM »
Hello All,

I would like to add my wife to my US bank account, as we recently received a nice gift (in dollars) that we intend on saving for a possible move back to the US.

Does she need to have an ITIN number before I can add her to the account?

Thanks
"He (Bush) says we are at war on terror, but that is a metaphor, though I doubt if he knows what that means. It's like having a war on dandruff, it's endless and pointless." - Gore Vidal

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
Re: Adding UK spouse to US Bank Account
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 11:09:19 PM »
My experience with joint bank accounts in the US is that they only take the Social Security number of one person, who is the primary account holder, and that person is responsible for all taxes. It was this way with my former joint account with my ex (I was the primary account holder, and only my SS number was on record) and the joint account I have now with the sister (she is the primary account holder, her SS number, and not mine, is on record.)

So I would guess that you will not need an ITIN for her, but you could call the bank and ask.

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
  • Liked: 2
Re: Adding UK spouse to US Bank Account
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 12:05:06 AM »
Yes, you will need to get her an ITIN number. We added my husband (UK citizen) to my US bank account last year, and they did need it.  It's painless, just a form to fill out.  Also, she will have to sign forms as well.  I don't know if she has to be at the bank when you do this. I bank with J.P. Morgan Chase, and they wanted him there, with his passport for ID as well as his ITIN.  Luckily we were planning a trip there together.   :o
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 12:08:34 AM by tebs »

Sponsored Links