Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: sick.. AGAIN  (Read 2973 times)

Re: sick.. AGAIN
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2005, 02:47:11 PM »
I had that a couple of weeks ago and, not to be a pessimist, it took me forever to get rid of - I was snorking around the house for two full weeks. I honestly think I went through a full box of tissues every bloomin' day.

Sorry, dude, I HATE being sick.... Peedal's right - go to Boots or something - their chemists are actually more helpful than GPs for stuff that's not an infection IMHO....

Peedal, is Day Nurse as good as DayQuil? DayQuil has always worked so unbelievably well for me that I just stock up on the capsules when I'm visiting my family - for some reason that stuff is like a wonder drug for me so I've never bothered looking for a substitute.

Hand washing is the only way I stay well. And not flying. I swear all I have to do is look at a plane and I catch a cold. But I wash my hands CONSTANTLY and carry around that stupid anticeptic stuff in my handbag too.

• AAGGGHH!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2005, 02:56:34 PM »
Something I like when I have a sore throat is popsicles.  I buy the sugar free and they help a lot.  I also drink milkshakes before I sleep.  I know none of this advice does any *fixing* of the problem, but it helps comfort me because I am the biggest BABY when I am sick and I know others that do this too. 

I hope you start to feel better soon. 

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2005, 02:57:36 PM »
Start spraying your nostrils daily with 'Sterimar' from the chemist's counter in Boots.  I have chronic sinusitus, and years ago an otolaryngologist suggested nightly and daily sprays with saline solution.  Works a treat!  Best of all, it doesn't interact with any other meds you've taken and/or if you are pregnant!

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2005, 02:59:52 PM »
Do you happen to have 'Air-borne' Over there? It was invented by a teacher and chemist here who always caught colds due to working with small children. Anyway walgreens, wal-mart and most other places sell it and its a supplement you take and really helps to keep you from catching other peoples germies. :D They cant hardly keep it stocked here, it's so popular. I know I am picking some up before I get on that aeroplane. I think I'll buy plenty to last me a while over there as it seems by what you are all saying that we wont be used to British germs. I dont like to be sick either. It drives me crazy, I just dont have time to be sick.
I would not seek the desert, or red palaces.Where reigns the sun, nor sail to magic isles......
For here is heartsease still, and deep content.
The Elves here holy and immortal dwell, and on the stones and trees there lies a spell.       J.R.R. Tolkien

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2005, 03:00:29 PM »
Thanks for the tips everyone. :)  I'm a big baby when I'm sick too.  I want my mom!  
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2005, 03:02:53 PM »
This is the 18,000th cold I've had since I moved here.  My throat hurts, my nose is runny and I'm exhausted.   [smiley=sick.gif]

You know it sounds like Allergies to me.     Multiple colds or cold like symptoms, especially during the Spring or Fall, usually indicate that you are suffering from air borne allergens.  

I know they sell a few over the counter Allergy meds in the UK (I got some Claritin D year before last when I was there), I'd try that first.   Worked wonders for me.  :D
Only Time will tell.. it's just too bad she's a closed mouth B**!!!

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2005, 03:05:30 PM »
Thanks for the tips everyone. :)  I'm a big baby when I'm sick too.  I want my mom!  

That is a huge one for me!  I miss my mom when I am sick, she always took such great care of me!  Last time I had the flu I was at her house thank goodness!!!

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2005, 03:09:21 PM »
Do you happen to have 'Air-borne' Over there?

Unfortunately we don't. I used to use that all the time when I was going back and forth to visit dh. I MUST remember to stock up next time we go to visit!!!!

My allergies have been AWFUL this Spring - I went to the GP and he really didn't have any suggestions I hadn't already tried, unfortunately. I may give those nasal sprays a go though - I've pretty much got post-nasal drip all the time. Yuck.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2005, 03:38:16 PM »
Peedal, is Day Nurse as good as DayQuil? DayQuil has always worked so unbelievably well for me that I just stock up on the capsules when I'm visiting my family - for some reason that stuff is like a wonder drug for me so I've never bothered looking for a substitute.

I've found Day Nurse to work as well for me as Dayquil did.  The Night Nurse doesn't make me quite as sleepy as the Nyquil does, but it works in a pinch.  And since they come in liquid and capsules, like the "quils" it's convenient to take at work if necessary.  I have read others say that they don't work as good, but then I've read others say a lot of things... ::)   ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2005, 03:42:21 PM »
My allergies have been AWFUL this Spring - I went to the GP and he really didn't have any suggestions I hadn't already tried, unfortunately. I may give those nasal sprays a go though - I've pretty much got post-nasal drip all the time. Yuck.

Have you tried Nasonex.. it works wonders for my post-nasal drip  :)
Only Time will tell.. it's just too bad she's a closed mouth B**!!!

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2005, 03:51:41 PM »
Eucalyptus oil is really good as well; either sniffing it straight from the bottle  :o , or it's quite lovely in the bath... or just with 'steam' (y'know, towel over yer head and all that). 
That's worked better for me than the nasal spray stuff; aside from the saline solution, I've heard to many bad stories about getting 'addicted' to the chemical sprays.
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2005, 03:52:56 PM »
That's worked better for me than the nasal spray stuff; aside from the saline solution, I've heard to many bad stories about getting 'addicted' to the chemical sprays.

Was just going to say that!!!  Bad stuff!!!

• Contraltos do it lower....
    • Forever Autumn
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2005, 04:24:02 PM »
This is the 18,000th cold I've had since I moved here.  My throat hurts, my nose is runny and I'm exhausted.  I can't get in to see my doctor until Monday.  Sucking down cough drops and dayquil.  I hate being sick.  [smiley=sick.gif]

Ok, I have, for over four months now, been working at a health food shop where the owner insists and requires that his employees receive training and proper certification in herbal medicine, vitamins and nutrition.  I already have one certificate in herbal medicine behind me.  On top of this, I was born with a non-functioning immune system, so I know from whence I speak; I was one of those people who were usually sick 2 weeks out of the month, always catching a bug and always having to stay in bed with it because when I would catch someone's "sniffle" it would be - to me - like a bad flu.  This was my life for 30 years.  Not so anymore.  You need some echinacea, which is a herb that modulates the immune system and makes it function the way nature intended it to. 

Now, the way in which you take the echinacea is important and the only way I recommend taking it is in tincure (a pure liquid extract) form.  This will get into your system quickly.  The last time I was sick was right before I learned about the power of the echinacea tincture.  I was coming down with the flu and was scared because I thought I would lose my job.  I had taken echinacea before in tablet and capsule form but it did little for me.  My area manager suggested I try the tincture.  I did, and instead of being down for 2-3 weeks, I was well in 2 days!!  For me this is amazing!  Since then I have continued to take the tincture and I haven't been sick since.  4 months without being seriously ill for me...well, it is wonderfully brilliant, let me tell you.  That tincture is a Godsend. 

Now, the brand I recommend (and, you will have to go to an INDEPENDANT health food shop to get it, don't bother going to Holland and Barrett or the like) is Bioforce.  Their tinctures are the purest, freshest and strongest you can get.  It's what you need if you have a sluggish immune system and are catching every bug that comes your way.  Believe me...it's my job.  And, if you came into our shop it is what I would tell you to do.

So there, some free advice.  ;D 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 04:32:54 PM by Songmistress »
I was born in the Summer and at Night...my mother named me AUTUMN DAWN.  True story.

Jamie's...beyond the stars and past eternity.

EMAIL or PM me for information about gigs or about booking me (solo gig) or the band.

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2005, 04:29:12 PM »
Silly me; here I was charging her for mine.  ::)
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2005, 04:39:34 PM »
The Sterimar stuff is saline.  It's not as cheap as in the US, but it doesn't have any drugs in it. 

Another good one is Happinose - geranium and menthol oils in a gel.  Perfect for clearing the nose w/o chemicals.

Sponsored Links