Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Moving to London next month (from NYC)  (Read 838 times)

• Liked: 0
Moving to London next month (from NYC)
« on: September 01, 2003, 04:11:00 AM »
Hi guys,

This site looks like very helpful, and I'm glad to be on board as a new member.  

My name's Max, I'm a 30-year old New Yorker working in IT.  I'll be moving to London in early October for personal as well as professional reasons.  I was hoping to use this forum as a sounding board for some topics related to my upcoming move.  

Thanks!
Max

For those interested, I am iterating these topics below.  I'll also post these questions as individual messages, so please forgive me if you see these twice.

Air-Freight -
The things I want to bring over would fit into a mid-size car, or roughly 4 heavy suitcases.  I doesnt seem like shipping this via container is necessary.   Do airlines still accept excess baggage with the heightened security concerns these days?  Also any ballpark figures for 3 extra suitcases greatly appreciated (car not included).  If this costs more than $1000 I might want to consider a plan B.  

Cell phone -
I doubt my ATT/Nokia phone will work over there.  How long does it take to get a new cell phone activated on the London high street (immediate, days, weeks)?

National Insurance Number -
I don't have one - can I start working in the UK without one, or is it a prerequisite for employment?  Also, how long does it take to get the number, once approved?

Driving License -
Has anybody converted a US license to the UK license?  Did it involve mandatory lessons, a written exam, a road test?  I'm trying to figure out if I need to take a few days to take care of this.

Also, is a US license accepted at UK car rentals, and vice-versa, is a UK license accepted for US car rentals?  I imagine the answer is yes in both cases, but I'd be interested to hear if there are any gotchas.

Dealing with the Brits -
They seem extremely accommodating.  Are there any faux pas at all?  I recall you can't make friends when lingering on the left side of the escalator in the London tube.  I am interested in your personal stories.

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
Re: Moving to London next month (from NYC)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2003, 10:17:35 AM »
Max, you've asked some important questions...but you may not like all the answers.

You say you're moving for personal and professional reasons. Some answers are going to be dependant on what you mean by that.

"I'm sick of working in the US and I met a British woman online who seems to like me and so I thought 'London sounds cool' and I might try to get a job there." -- you'll be returned home at the gate

"The company I work for is sending me to their London office and since I just divorced my wife and have no children, there's nothing holding me in the US anymore." -- your company is probably going to take care of getting your work visa and applying for a National Insurance number.

"I met someone online and we've been dating a while. I can't stand this long distance anymore because I know I want to spend the rest of my life with her. Since I am in IT, I can pretty much bring my work wherever I go. Besides, work here right now is almost non-existant. London may be better." -- You'll need to propose and/or marry and then apply for a National Insurance number the minute you get a proper visa to live here, be it fiance, spouse, whatever. You do need one in order to work. In order to get one you have some red tape to cut through...at INS (Immigration and Naturalisation).

Freight...can't help you with the question, but others have shipped things across ahead, and brought things with them as well. I'm sure you'll be hearing more.

Cell phone (called mobiles here) ... I've got one, as most people do here (they are very prolifent), but I don't recall the exact procedure, which I am sure may not help you anyway because I've lived here almost 6 years. I have credit, I have a home address, a checking account, etc. You will need to fill in some paperwork and have some sort of credit. Barring that, you may have to opt for a Pay-As-You-Go. Time involved? Seemed almost immediate...as in, how fast can you charge up the battery in the phone?

Driving License...Sadly, you can't just trade like for like. You can drive on your US license for up to one year after you have entered the UK under the appropriate visa. But you have to go through all the tests and start all over. Written test/driving test/minimum eye test. And it takes a while to book, so start early. Suggest you take lessons. (I took lessons and I'd been driving for 30 years...they helped big time.) US license is accepted at UK car rentals. But your US insurance won't be good, so drop it as soon as you leave the US. You'll have to take out the rental insurance until you're established with some here. (But, if you're not going to own a car here, then I don't imagine you'd get insurance.)

Dealing with Brits...many faux pas, but on the whole they are very exposed to American television and films, so just be yourself. You're more likely to amuse than offend, charm rather than annoy. Just don't talk like you know every thing and they don't. If you show respect, you'll get it back. Saying "hi" to everyone you pass on the street may surpise people and throw them off guard, but they'll walk past with a smile for your effort. You'll soon learn the words you're not to say in polite company...and may get a shock over what they say freely. Television is an interesting experience.  ;)
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2003, 09:37:37 PM »
Hey now Max,

Im moving from NY to England this coming Wednesday! Not to London though; lucky you. We should meet up one day!

Where are you in the city? I used to live at West 27th & 7th and also Bensonhurst, Brooklyn. Grew up on eastern Long Island and am here not again before I make my move across the pond.

Already missing NY and am eatting pizza like mad.

:-*
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 05:10:34 PM »
Hiya Max, welcome to UK Yankee.  This site as you will see (and with LisaE's help) should be able to answer any of your questions.  So be sure to write back soon.  Join in where you'd like.  Try the Pub Quiz section.  You should get into practice.  They do these alot in pubs.  Its fun too.

Take care.
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 07:47:57 PM »
Hi Milian,

Welcome to UKY...  and good luck with your upcoming move...  do you have your visa yet?

I will be heading to the UK in late November...  after a few years of waiting for all the proper legal needs...  I can tell you that any extra baggage on planes now is a bit difficult...but if that is the way you wish to try it you will need to inform your airline ahead of time so they will be expecting them...  It will cost on an avg. of $70.00 and up and the luggage weight is restricted, but you will need to check with airline on that.

I have shipped over 35 boxes for my move in the past 6 months...  I did not get a container because I did not wish to pay the extra fees for it to be packed...  and being alone, I did not wish to try and do the self packing of container...  It was easier and no more expensive to ship my boxes via the post office...  you can ship either air (a bit more expensive)...or by sea, (which takes about 6 weeks)  

If you wish to find some competative rates for shipping by air...  I would suggest going to a few of the Mail stores (where you can buy boxes)  you may get lucky this way with a good deal... I stuck with the post office because I liked the by sea rates...and I was not in a hurry to have my things get there.  

Taking all on the plane with you may be a bit over priced... and I could not swear on the rulings right now with the security issues on airlines.

Hoped I did not confuse you too much here...LOL! and again Welcome.
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2003, 09:41:36 PM »
I just had a thought...if you are entering under a plain ole tourist visa, don't bring attention to yourself by carrying a housefull in.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2003, 04:42:53 PM »
Thanks everybody,

You've really been giving me some fantastic advice.  I have a much better picture of how I need to organize this whole move now, and what I need to do once i'm over.  It'll be a little trickier than I anticipated, but knowing that in advance will really ease the pain.  

LisaE, mfredericka, to get back to you on the visa question: I think I'm good there. Thanks!  Getting that NIN # seems like a bit of an adventure though.

ny_2_uk, good luck with your move!  Sure, let's meet up after we've both landed.  I'm living in the Lower East Side now as my last stop before the jump.  In the past it's been the UES, Noho, Brooklyn Heights.  Went to school near West 27th & 7th.  I really do love New York and it's gonna be a tough goodbye.    

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2003, 05:02:04 PM »
Mil,

You went to school near West 27th and 7th?? So did I~ Fashion Institute of Technology!

Leaving tonight~ will arrive tomorrow 9am English time (as oppossed to New York time when I speak to everyone here. Not Eastern Time... New York time.)  :-*

Keep in touch!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2003, 05:02:43 PM by ny_2_uk »
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab